Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Timing Belt/Water Pump Bitchfit.

Default Timing Belt/Water Pump Bitchfit.

Arrghhh I hate this subject, and Im sure all of you do as well. Im cheap, Im a broke college student. Anyone know where I can get this done cheap as well? Or is anyone down to have a group install at my place? Id provide beeerrsss..

Parts at Rosenthal $189

Timing belt replacement procedures at Miata.net

Now suggest a time and see if anyone bites. Make sure to let them know what part of town you live in.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Take it to Rogue's place.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    Take it to Rogue's place.
    +1

The only "cheap" solution is to DIY. Good learning experience. If you don't have the motivation or the ability, save-up and go to Rogue. Pretty much the only two viable options, other than TDR or an unknown mechanic. There is always the stealership...
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

As a heads up on that Rosenthal kit: the last few I've used for customers (and my own) came with the same water pump and pulleys as the cheaper eBay kits (the ones that ship with the ContiTech belt..GMB or something like that, been a while). I've heard this from a friend in NJ that bought one in the last month or so as well, so they are still doing it.

You'll notice the Rosenthal ad says they are "aftermarket parts of high quality" and the only parts that are listed as OEM are the valve cover gasket and the water pump gaskets. So please don't think that extra $100 is getting you all new Mazda parts.
    Last edited by Rob®; 11-05-2010 at 10:03 AM.

The ebay kits usually do not have the A/C and alternator belts as well. The one that does will still run you $165 with shipping and does not come with the OEM valve cover gasket. For ease of getting it right, I would still purchase the one from Rosenthal.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Well, my 2 cents on those:

The OEM valve cover gasket leaks just as quickly as any aftermarket one - BTDT many many many many times. You need to use RTV on the Mazda gasket and the cheaper ones.
    Belts are not $100 for the same Gates belts you get from Rosenthal, if that's even what they still send.

I am all about OE parts, especially for things like timing belts, water pumps, and bearings, trust me. But seeing that Mazda no longer sends you OE parts, save two fairly trivial items, eh. I'm not pushing the eBay kits at all, and I never have to any customer of mine, but I present the option and state the facts - it is not my place to make the decision for anybody but myself. Some went for the Rosenthal kit, most went for the same eBay kit that I started using on my own car. I have never heard/seen/read about/experienced a failure with the cheaper kits.

Please note that my post was stated as a heads up (i.e. presenting the option and stating facts about it).
    Last edited by Rob®; 11-05-2010 at 10:59 AM.

Chassis Designer miata_B_racing's Avatar

I went with rosenthal kit and upped anti with a gates racing blue timing belt. Even used a viton ring gasket for the cas.
    I found the GMB water pump is fine and my installation of all the rosenthal parts over $700 worth have been flawless.
    Not a single leak water or oil, went by the book, never had done it before and it turned out very good...
    And no over all it was not that hard but some special tools are required to do the job with precision.

jake
    Teflon Window guide Kits for the Miata Nation -

Go to rockauto.com and pick the parts individually. Doesn't take long and you can get a Bosch water pump and Gates Belts.
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive
    http://profile.imageshack.us/user/jeepinbanditride

Suspension Modder

I second Rock Auto I always order from them. They tend to have good prices and lots of selection, but just be careful on shipping because sometimes stuff has to come from a bunch of different warehouses so shipping adds up quickly.
    Oh and you can use this code for 5% off if you buy from them 40899393367837 enter it in the "how did you hear about us" box when you check out.

Chassis Designer

rogue is going to be the cheapest i'm pretty sure. whenever i asked him about it he quoted me 250$ i think for the labor.

I wouldnt mind doing it myself, but the thought of having to re-do it all over again just to re-align the teeth if I get it wrong, kills me. Who knows, I migh just man-up.

A complete timing belt job is a lot easier than most people think. Just be sure to count the teeth between cam gears, and you're pretty much golden.

"Stupid person" tip: Get a small section of cardboard and roughly draw the front of the motor on it. As you take a bolt off the motor, stick it through the appropriate place on the cardboard drawing. You should never lose a bolt, never forget where one goes, and never forget to put a bolt back in. Sounds dumb, but you have no idea how helpful that is when you need to do a complete t-belt job just a few hours before you leave to move 1200 miles away.

Haha, that doesnt sound like a bad idea. What sucks is I just changed the VC gasket and gromets a year ago, Im sure they are still good. Oh well, they will be replaced.

I've never had a problem getting them timed even when taking the belts off and not counting teeth. Just make sure you have your marks lined up as stated in the manual and you are good to go.
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive
    http://profile.imageshack.us/user/jeepinbanditride

Quote Originally Posted by jeepinbanditrider View Post
    I've never had a problem getting them timed even when taking the belts off and not counting teeth. Just make sure you have your marks lined up as stated in the manual and you are good to go.
    Eh, I agree for the most part, but it takes 2 seconds to count the teeth between sprockets. I had a customer in NY insist that he lined the marks up 100% without counting teeth, but it wasn't running right. I pulled the valve cover, and naturally he was a tooth off, despite the marks looking correct to him. If you're not paying attention, a cam can move ever so slightly, throwing you off a tooth. But yes, if you know what you are doing and pay attention, counting teeth is not needed - OP hasn't done one yet, hence my suggestion to count teeth as well. Sort of a second check, ya know?

I count the teeth as a safe guard. Better to be safe than sorry.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Driver
    Blog Entries

I use fingernail polish to mark the gears and old belt, then transfer marks to the new belt.
    Mike Walsted - Not an expert, just a data point.
    1999 Miata
    2003 MIata
    1999 Miata
    2001 Kia Rio

Chassis Designer miata_B_racing's Avatar

19 teeth between both gears when at the proper marks on the waterpump body. both cam gears at 12 o clock the crankshaft spocket is also at 12 oclock with the notch facing straight up. And yes it is very easy to let it slip during assembly. You MUST count for 19 teeth between cam gears for the job to be exactly as discribed without needing timing adjustment. Mine went together like clock work. No re timing required. Cars runs like a scalded monkey.

jake
    Teflon Window guide Kits for the Miata Nation -

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast