Thread: Toyota FJ Cruiser

Default Toyota FJ Cruiser

Looks like Toyota has decided to take the FJ Cruiser Concept to production.

Hmm... interesting. It's kinda ugly, but I think it's kinda cool. Of course, I also like things like the Mitsubishi Pajero Evolution and the Isuzu VehiCROSS, so what do I know?
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Default Re: Toyota FJ Cruiser

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Looks like Toyota has decided to take the FJ Cruiser Concept to production.

Hmm... interesting. It's kinda ugly, but I think it's kinda cool. Of course, I also like things like the Mitsubishi Pajero Evolution and the Isuzu VehiCROSS, so what do I know?
    It'll work only if it's as tough as the original. But I don't see that happening... much like the Ford Bronco concept.

Edit -

The best they can feature under the specs is brushed metal door handles...

IN the 80's I had a FJ40, toughest truck I ever drove. Great offroader. I wish that I had never sold it. only got stuck in very deep mud. The shame of the hole thig is that its gonna cost an arm and a leg to buy one. Why would you offroad your 30k truck? I thrashed my 1k TLC and sold it for 2k after about 2 years of ownership.

Today the FJ40's are comanding a HUGE price.
    Hmm what is decent? Are we talking about your decent or my decent? I'm just curious because I don't want to offend anyone else's decent...

Quote Originally Posted by Ataim
    The shame of the hole thig is that its gonna cost an arm and a leg to buy one. Why would you offroad your 30k truck? I thrashed my 1k TLC and sold it for 2k after about 2 years of ownership.

Today the FJ40's are comanding a HUGE price.
    In the mid-'90s I dug a lot of Jeeps out of the muck with my '96 Tacoma. Loaded up the way I bought it, it cost north of $26k and I didn't have the slightest problem offroading it. It was cheap to repair when something went wrong (I plowed over a small tree once, replacing the front bumper cap was less than $300), and it was bulletproof. The only thing I didn't like about it was that it was black, so it showed every scratch from every tree branch on every tight trail I ever took it down.

I had a lot of fun with that truck.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

This thing is expected to start at $27k! And it only comes with the monster V6. Most serious offroaders I know never even touch the engine, performance wise. If there's enough torque to crawl over the next boulder, then that's enough. I think some of them would prefer a diesel, but I digress.

My point is: Toyota is marketing this thing as some utilitarian, back-to-basics offroader, but they're pricing it right on top of the 4Runner. *yawn* Sell it to me with a decent I4, AWD, vinyl seats, rubber floors, and some decent off-road hardware for $18,500 and we might be talking. Oh wait, I can go buy a Wrangler then...

S.

Hey, I dig Jeeps too, but one of the things that makes this appealing to me is the projected 5000-lb towing capacity, which is enough to realistically tow a Miata (unlike the Wrangler, which is rated at 3500-lbs maximum).

Besides, if you don't think you can make a Wrangler expensive, you've never looked at the MSRP on a Rubicon.

Speaking of which, where are you getting a $27k base figure from, srivendel? Everythign I've heard pointed more towards the low side of $20k to start with, and low/affordable pricing is mentioned multiple times in the press release.
    Iain

Iain -- I checked my numbers. You're right. I was thinking about the Ridgeline, which should be available "well equipped" for around $27k. If Toyota offers the base version of the FJ for $20k, I agree: it will sell well.

S.

I had a '68 FJ-40 in the 80's. It was tough, but I was hard on it so it wasn't real reliable. Parts were difficult to find for the '68 model, I think it was the first year in the states, and they re-tooled a lot for the '69 models so parts were not interchangable. When I splitt my Transfer case I had to wait 3 months for a replacement from Japan .

I'd still have it but I let a freind drive while I rode shotgun, so I personally witnessed how easy it was to flip at 35mph . The jerk moved away a few weeks later and I never saw a cent

The only other 4x4 that I thought was stronger was the International Scout. A freind of mine had one and it was virtually unstoppable. It had a locked rear-end with Limited slip in the front. What a BEAST it was, but my FJ-40 looked a lot cooler ....I said looked, cause there was NO A/C!

The new concept really favors the looks of the old FJ-40 and I like it.
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

NOOOOOO

Stay away from Scouts. They are not cool, they are not good, they do not run forever. These are all internet myths. I owned and restored a scout. It sucked. Imagine a vehicle made from equal parts 1970's jeep, chrysler, chevy and amc. Miata good, scout bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathews2004
    NOOOOOO

Stay away from Scouts. They are not cool, they are not good, they do not run forever. These are all internet myths. I owned and restored a scout. It sucked. Imagine a vehicle made from equal parts 1970's jeep, chrysler, chevy and amc. Miata good, scout bad.
    We had one when I was a kid. Banana yellow with the 2 mil canvas top.

On a quiet night, it was hard to tell whether you were hearing the Scout rust or the gremlins fouling the points in the Triumph...

HAHAHAHA Sounds like my pre-Chrysler days Jeep Cherokee. It was a mutt too, but ran like a top!

It's going to be interesting to see if this new Toyota can live up to the reputation of its predecessors. If it does, they'll sell the hell out of 'em!

RJ

Quote Originally Posted by srivendel
    My point is: Toyota is marketing this thing as some utilitarian, back-to-basics offroader, but they're pricing it right on top of the 4Runner. *yawn* Sell it to me with a decent I4, AWD, vinyl seats, rubber floors, and some decent off-road hardware for $18,500 and we might be talking. Oh wait, I can go buy a Wrangler then...

S.
    The Tacoma 4WD can be had with 2.7l I4 and short bed for under $20k.

Quote Originally Posted by 96 M-Edition
    Quote Originally Posted by srivendel

S.
    The Tacoma 4WD can be had with 2.7l I4 and short bed for under $20k.
    Sounds pretty good!

S.