Thread: Rear wheel bearing replacement, ideas?

Default Rear wheel bearing replacement, ideas?

I have a wheel bearing going bad on the drivers side rear wheel and I need to get it replaced. I have found that NAPA sells the bearing itself, how hard is it to replace them though? I was going to take it to Stevan but he's booked solid for awhile. Anyone down to help me? I have heard that you need a press?

Yes, you need to remove the hub and put it on a press. It's a simple process, other than that.
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

...or just replace the entire hub.

I just replaced the whole assembly. You can get them from places like

Automotive Driveline Supply
    808 West Hurst Boulevard, Hurst, TX 76053-7502
    (817) 284-8187

It is not an easy job - http://www.dfwmiata.com/showthread.p...t=Rear+Bearing

If I was to do it again I would have taken the hub to Hurst and had the old bearing pressed out and the new one pressed in.

You can also get them at www.planet-miata.com. I just did the front hubs on mine. I plan to do the backs soon and will most likely order the unit that planet sells.
    Bobby

RED RULES!
    90 Miata, 04 Rubicon, 05 Boxster

If I get a replacement hub online, do they include the wheel bearing or do I have to have one pressed in?

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    I just replaced the whole assembly. You can get them from places like

Automotive Driveline Supply
    808 West Hurst Boulevard, Hurst, TX 76053-7502
    (817) 284-8187
    Does that place do all the labor or do you have the bring the hub to them?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt V View Post
    Does that place do all the labor or do you have the bring the hub to them?
    You do the labor.

Just get complete hub/bearing assemblies from Planet Miata or Parts Group. It's a much less painful and considerably faster experience, albeit a bit more spendy.
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

Are you certain it's the rear bearing? How did you diagnose it?

I used AWD tuning in Flower Mound. I pulled the spindle and they pressed the old bearings out and back in for $40 on both. O'Reilly auto parts usually stocks them for some reason. I've used "National" and they work, but I trust "Timken" more than any other. The "National" brand has a solid crown/retainer for the bearings so its much easier to repack them with AMSoil, which I prefer. Using real grease will probably extend their life 10x; I know front bearings last 3-days at the track unless I pack with real grease and they then much longer.

Do yourself and the guy on the press a favor and buy the updated circlip from a dealer (uses needle nose pliars) and you might want to get new rear hubs at the same time because they're cheap and you won't have to cut the inner race off the old one which is also a pain.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

You know, I never really diagnosed it. Stevan took it for a test drive and he thinks it's a bearing, but when I go to wiggle the wheel in the air, there's no play in it.

You know, I never really diagnosed it. Stevan took it for a test drive and he thinks it's a bearing, but when I go to wiggle the wheel in the air, there's no play in it.
    Do you have the handbrake on?

I actually had it down, I believe. I can certainly do it again to see if that wasn't the case.

If there is still no wiggle with the handbrake down, do you think it's still the wheel bearing or something else?

I actually had it down, I believe. I can certainly do it again to see if that wasn't the case.

If there is still no wiggle with the handbrake down, do you think it's still the wheel bearing or something else?
    Mine had no play only a roar replaced the bearing and all is well!

BTW - You really need to get this fixed before Saturday.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

You know, I've had a couple of front wheel bearings fail. One was diagnosed during tech several weeks before it started making noise, but I couldn't feel any slop. The second got noisey and nobody could feel any slop in it. I ran out of time, so I took it to my mechanic. He said between the car and the trash can, the bearings fell out.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Ok, I just dealt with this problem that I chased for 18-months. If you get a roar or ticking noise, and the front wheels have no radial play when checked with your hands at 12 and 6 o'clock, then suspect the rear wheel bearing. I like to check by placing my finger at the caliper ant rotor to feel for play there, you will feel it if it's bad, no need for a dial gauge.

You have to check thrust or axial play on the rear, not radial. The rear brake pad must be backed-off the rotor to do this check or you'll chase your tail like I did. You can also spin the tire and listen for noise.

Do yourself a favor and pack them with real grease like AMSoil which seems to excel over Redline on BITOG.

I have had a noisy front bearing for over 2 years. The noise is there but hasn't gotten any worse and there is still zero play. I have a replacement hub, but my old hub is stuck on there bad. Between Creek and I we couldn't get the dang thing off even with a BFH.

I have been meaning to bring it to Rogue or somebody with a puller, but you know how it goes when you have a kid and are in school...
    Last edited by Jiggerachi; 12-01-2010 at 09:34 AM.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

I let mine make noise and replace them when I get pad knock-back.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggerachi View Post
    I have had a noisy front bearing for over 2 years. The noise is there but hasn't gotten any worse and there is still zero play. I have a replacement hub, but my old hub is stuck on there bad. Between Creek and I we couldn't get the dang thing off even with a BFH.

I have been meaning to bring it to Rogue or somebody with a puller, but you know how it goes when you have a kid and are in school...
    Sounds like we need to have a tech day!

Provide beer and I'll supervise.