Thread: New used car options

Default New used car options

Wifey wants a new car. She is currently driving a Pathfinder, but wants a car. Need four seats and enough room for a 3 person weekend getaway. Looking up to around $16k or so (just theoretical $ amount). Keep in mind that the only other car will be a Miata, so please no MINI suggestions We're thinking about adding 2 cars to the fleet and for one of mine to be a Miata she is getting what she wants. She is just clueless to the abundance of used car options in that price range, so I would greatly appreciate your input.
    P.S she just told me it needs to be "sporty"

Is your third in a car seat? If so, that makes a big difference. We headed down to Town North Mazda a few weeks ago, because my wife is feeling frumpy in the MPV. I loved the Mazda3 (which a new one is in your price range) but when we tried to put the car seat in, we quickly moved on. Believe it or not, the RX-8 is the friendliest car for car seats that we have tried. We backed away from that when we thought about road trip space.

Does your wife want a stick or slushbox?

We have a Saab 9-2X Linear 5-speed and love it. You can get them for around $18,500 right now, which isn't exactly $16k, but it's close. Contact Rick Herrold at Sewell in Dallas for details. (No affiliation, that's just the guy we bought from.)

If you're getting a stick, you can never go wrong with a Corolla. I know, I know: it's kinda dull. But the XRS has an Elise engine and a very posh interior.

The Mazda 3 is nice. The bigger displacement of the 2.3 seems to help if your wife will be driving a slushbox.

The I4 Altima is roomy, peppy, and reasonably cheap. So is an Accord LX.

A lot depends on whether you're getting a stick or not. A lot of cheap cars are I4s. Small displacement engines do better with sticks because of a lack of torque low in the rev range. Thus, cheap car + slushbox tends to equal no fun.

Again, we love our little Saab. We drove a Linear (2.5) auto at the Saab Proving Grounds. It's a decent combination due to the 2.5 having good torque down low.

If you wife is looking to get a stick then hey, sky's the limit!

S.

Looks like there are a couple of used Mazdaspeed Proteges in our very own classifieds that would fit your needs (four-door, seats four real-sized people), your budget (I belive the pricing war has pushed both of them below $15k ), and your desires (sporty and really fun to drive).

However, if she's more interested in a 4-door appliance, I'd suggest a previous generation Honda Accord. We have a 2000 Accord EX 4-door and while I wouldn't consider it sporty, it is comfortable, rides well, has great space, gets decent gas mileage on cheap regular gas (we drove both the V6 and the 4 banger and opted for the 4, as the only thing we felt the V6 offered was slightly better passing power at 70mph+ in exchange for much lower fuel economy), and is as reliable as they come. I've personally driven this car over 1000 miles in a single day and found it to be incredibly comfortable. It will also cruise all day with the cruise control set at 95+ (while returning 25mpg), and it's apparently almost invisible to police.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I really do like most aspects of the accord but my wife isn't a huge fan. As for the Saab 9-2x linear....she likes it....I'm scared if she got a Mazdaspeed that I would very quickly take it over, but thats the car i'm having her test drive over the weekend. All great suggestions Keep them coming

No wonder she liked the Saab so much......she was looking at a 9-3 Aero, which is about $10k more

If I were you, I'd take either of the MazdaSpeeds and then start buying Miata parts claiming - Oh, damn, honey, those idiots at Mazda sent the wrong parts again!

It might work...

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    If I were you, I'd take either of the MazdaSpeeds and then start buying Miata parts claiming - Oh, damn, honey, those idiots at Mazda sent the wrong parts again!

It might work...

I have a nice 2003 MSP and a 2003 Mazda6 for sale. Take your pick
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv
    My wife thinks the orange is too "flashy"

Quote Originally Posted by SPEEDRACER
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv
    My wife thinks the orange is too "flashy"
    The 6 is Charcoal gray with light gray leather interior. Maybe she would like it better......
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)

Got to buy from a dealer.....we are trading in our current fleet....I'd rather buy from an individual, but it's easier to buy from dealer....(financing options)

Quote Originally Posted by SPEEDRACER
    Got to buy from a dealer.....we are trading in our current fleet....I'd rather buy from an individual, but it's easier to buy from dealer....(financing options)
    We could work out a deal at Freeman, when my MS6 comes that could save us both on the sales tax.........