Thread: Advice on broken garage door spring?

Default Advice on broken garage door spring?

I heard a loud "pop" from my garage yesterday after I closed it, and later realized the coil spring that helps the door up and down had snapped on one side. I'm fairly certain this is not a typical DIY repair, based on the tension, but I'm willing to try if it is possible. At the same time, I'd happily pay to have the job done if its not major $, but I'm off all week, so the timing is good.

Anyone here had this repair done, or done it themselves? Anyone in the garage door business or have a recommended repairer?
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Go in the house, call someone with the skilz and tools and wait for them. If you get bored, shave with a weedeater - that would be safer.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

+1....call a pro. There's enough torque on those things to chop your head off.

It's not that hard to do. I changed one last spring. hehehe get it?

Seriously, the hardest part is finding the springs. You need to locate someone willing to sell them "off the truck" cause no retail outlets carry them. Do a little research online and decide what kind you want to get. I went with a set (change them in pairs always) that has three times the cycle span as before so they should be good for 30 years. Get some 1/2" round steel stock from Lowes and cut it in half for 2 16-24" lengths to use as torsion bars and just be careful as you work. No more deadly than your car falling off a jack while you're under it.

Nails is right on this............most of the "pros" will try to upsell you extras and convince you that the other spring needs to be replaced now also.

Thx. Got a pro coming out tomorrow. The $75 in labor is well-worth not having to bother learning the proper way to do it. I'm smart enough already. :)
    Polished Turd Racing

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Pay close attention in case mine fails....
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Quote Originally Posted by onething View Post
    Pay close attention in case mine fails....
    Will do. I'll set up my nanny-cam and document the whole thing... lol
    Polished Turd Racing