Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Airbag light?

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

If wonder if channelmaniac could solder in new capacitors?

Gab let's take a minute and review one of my sentences on my very first post on the airbag issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    * Side note my daughter is going to use this car so I want the airbag system to work.
    There will be no exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    If wonder if channelmaniac could solder in new capacitors?
    Good question!

Do you REALLY want her to get hit by that first gen airbag? Especially since she probably sits very close to the steering wheel.

A young coworker was hit in her 98 Civic EX recently and the airbag hit her so hard that it nearly broke her nose. It gave her a black eye (and that was with the seat belt on).
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD
    2006 Red NC - GT with limited slip, HIDs, all OEM.

Quote Originally Posted by motorollow View Post
    Do you REALLY want her to get hit by that first gen airbag? Especially since she probably sits very close to the steering wheel.

A young coworker was hit in her 98 Civic EX recently and the airbag hit her so hard that it nearly broke her nose. It gave her a black eye (and that was with the seat belt on).
    Short answer is yes. I want the system to work and I don't give a rats ass about anyones opinion on this subject. Sister in law was and ER nurse for a number of years she has many stories available that have also helped to shape my opinion.
    I hope this helps clarify my stance on this subject.

BTW. She does not sit close to the wheel when driving.

Sorry Mick,

Once it says "system down, fuse open" the module has committed suicide.

The airbag module is intelligent. It "sees" faults and if the faults aren't fixed in a certain (unknown) time frame it will commit suicide by opening that fuse. It's an interesting fuse. It's a thermal fuse wrapped in a heating element so the system can kill itself either after an accident occurred (so the module doesn't get reused) or after extended periods of there being a system fault.

If you buy a used module the first thing to do is test it. If it works, recap it. If it doesn't work but isn't showing the fuse open error then recap it and you should be good to go - barring any issues with sensors, wires, etc...

You can get the caps at Radio Shack and they are pretty easy to replace. I don't replace them though as there's exposure to liability. If the airbag doesn't deploy for some unknown reason I don't want to find myself being sued.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac View Post
    Sorry Mick,

The airbag module is intelligent. It "sees" faults and if the faults aren't fixed in a certain (unknown) time frame it will commit suicide by opening that fuse.
    Never gave any errors just went straight to code 51. Makes me wonder if the guy on Miata.net is on to something on the capacitor failure.

Appreciate the info!

Ohhhh Ahhhh!

Does anyone know if you can just yank the airbag computer?? Will the car get mad and blink (more) or beep or do other undesirable things??
    Not sure about an NA but the NB will have the airbag light permanently on once you remove the computer. You have to take off the dash on the NB. In the NA you're supposed to be able to reach up underneath the dash through the drivers side.

Got this link off of my post on Miata.net - http://www.airbagsystems.com/computer.html

This doesn't sound like a bad deal to get it fixed.

$50
    plus return shipping cost.

SHIP FIRST - PAY LATER !
    We accept Visa, Mastercard, Debit Cards and Paypal.
    How it works
    Package your Computer.
    Enclose contact information: Name, Address, and Phone Number.
    Tell us what you are sending: Vehicle Year, Make and Model.
    We will contact you once we receive your package and verify the return shipping address and collect payment. ( Overnight Returns are available )
    If you want to exchange a computer call us first and we will check inventory. There is a core charge on exchange computers.
    All Inbound shipments to us are FREE from within The United States.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

They are going to charge you $50 (plus shipping) to solder on new capacitors? This from a company that mispelled Mazda?

http://www.airbagsystems.com/model_location.asp

I know we're all TCB members around here, but if you want to make sure the airbag works in your daughter's car, you might need to just pony up for a new control unit. If I wanted to be sure it was going to fire when needed, I'm not sure I'd trust a rebuilt unit. I mean, the only real way you can test it is to install it in the car then go hit something, right?

Just sayin...
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Not sure if it is the same, but I should have the one out of my 96 parts car around. Try it for free, and if it works you can give me $25.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Not sure if it is the same, but I should have the one out of my 96 parts car around. Try it for free, and if it works you can give me $25.
    The interwebs say the '94 had it's own special airbag computer although it was used on other Mazdas and some fords. Was Mazda nice enough to put a p/n on the module you have??

Mazda p/n GA2A-67-7F0A - http://www.miata.net/garage/90-99Par...sion_guide.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    I know we're all TCB members around here, but if you want to make sure the airbag works in your daughter's car, you might need to just pony up for a new control unit. If I wanted to be sure it was going to fire when needed, I'm not sure I'd trust a rebuilt unit. I mean, the only real way you can test it is to install it in the car then go hit something, right?

Just sayin...
    You do make a very valid point... Although she will only use the car for about 90 days before we upgrade her to the NB.

The interwebs say the '94 had it's own special airbag computer although it was used on other Mazdas and some fords. Was Mazda nice enough to put a p/n on the module you have??

Mazda p/n GA2A-67-7F0A - http://www.miata.net/garage/90-99Par...sion_guide.pdf
    Can you shoot me a picture of what it looks like? I have a big box with the wiring harness, ecu, ABS computer, airbag computer, alarm computer, etc in it and it would help if I knew what it looked like when I go digging.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Can you shoot me a picture of what it looks like? I have a big box with the wiring harness, ecu, ABS computer, airbag computer, alarm computer, etc in it and it would help if I knew what it looked like when I go digging.
    Will do! I haven't pulled it out of the car yet.

I'll save you some time it is a different part. I had to replace the one in my car and the part number changed from 95-96. In 96 they did away with all the remote sensors and built them into the airbag computer and placed it in the hardest possible spot to get to. POS I would send Merv a PM as I remember he had a whole box of air bag sensors and brains.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Haruki Murakami

Pulled the airbag module tonight it is a PITA....

Steering column surround, Gauge hood, Gauges, lower dash panel, and drivers seat had to come out to pull two wire harnesses and 2 bolts to remove the Airbag computer.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Where's the movie?
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Quote Originally Posted by onething View Post
    Where's the movie?
    How about a picture show!

1. Strip the interior

2. Take out Airbag Module

3. Crack it open to see the guts!

Note who's name is on one of the chips!

More to follow!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast