Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dish

6 60.00%
  • Direct

4 40.00%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Direct vs. Dish

I got Dish Network after I had Time Warner and (at least at the time) Dish had a far better HD picture than TW, never had DirectTV so I cant compare it, but Dish had a very nice picture and better DVR equipment. Rain storms we would lose power to the neighborhood before the satellite went out. In my area they pseudo-partnered with AT&T for DSL internet and AT&T was the worst company to deal with ever...basically went over 6 months without a working internet connection, tethering from my cellphone and sitting on hold for 2+ hrs with cust service every couple weeks.

Finally got so frustrated I made a deal with the devil and switched back to Time Warner *shudder* because of their internet package. I didn't realize I was in a contract (never had me sign anything) and they never said anything about it, just let me cancel with a smile then they hit me with a ton of contract breakage fees and their customer service were generally A-holes after that point. I know, my own stupid fault, i was frustrated and distracted getting everything ready for a new kid, but still not a good way to do business in my opinion. I'm sure they all do this however.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by onething View Post
    IF anything resembling FiOS ever comes to my neighborhood, I will break contracts to get it.
    Me three! It's right up the road in Keller and Southlake, but not in NRH.

Was supposed to have U-Verse. House next door can get it, I can't.

Y'all are all out of the Cheap Bastards Club!!!

I use my Arial for TV service. $0.00/month.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

An interesting turn of events here... Dish Network sent me a note acknowledging that I am no longer under contract. I currently have both an HD 2 TV DVR and a non-HD 2 TV DVR. They are offering to upgrade my non-HD one to the latest HD DVR for no charge and give me 6 Starz HD channels for 3 months if I re-up for another 2 years.

I just got a price increase notice from DIRECTV! May have to start shopping around, again......

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Since this thread is a week old and the lady at ATT never called us back, I think we'll stay with Dish.

If you get paid commission to sell stuff and a client says, "Let me think about it overnight." would you call them back the next day?
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Quote Originally Posted by onething View Post
    Since this thread is a week old and the lady at ATT never called us back, I think we'll stay with Dish.

If you get paid commission to sell stuff and a client says, "Let me think about it overnight." would you call them back the next day?
    Nope since they want to close you on that first call that is telemarketing 101.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Well, I alwasy suspected telemarketing had nothing to do with sales or customer service.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

I'm a former DirectTV customer.

Currently have Dish.

I like Direct's Menu/Remote/Interface better. However, being able to control two TVs with one receiver is a big plus. The 2nd TV isn't HD, as someone pointed out, but that's OK as they're for the Kids & guest bedrooms. That's right... if you ever crash at my house you'll need to "rough it" in the guest room with an analog signal and a queen size bed.

My father (west side of Frisco) has U-verse. The interface is the worst of the three, and the picture quality is terrible. I was shocked at how pixelated the playoff games were this afternoon. We have the same Toshiba 1080P TV, and mine looks 10x better with Dish.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12