Thread: any good karting places around here?

Default any good karting places around here?

maybe we can have an event
    - luis
    '99 NB1

Not sure but there's a shifter mart track north of Denton
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

anything similar to MSRH?
    - luis
    '99 NB1

Quote Originally Posted by luis View Post
    anything similar to MSRH?
    Miniature Schnauzer Rescue of Houston??

BTW. There is this deal - http://www.dfwmiata.com/showthread.p...nnington-Field for just $30.00.
    Last edited by POS Racing; 01-15-2011 at 10:23 PM.

Not a cheap game depending on how fast ya want to go - http://www.msrhouston.com/msrhouston/karting_rental.asp

specials pop up once in a while :)
    - luis
    '99 NB1

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Not a cheap game depending on how fast ya want to go - http://www.msrhouston.com/msrhouston/karting_rental.asp
    The Denton/Sanger track is also painfully expensive.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

5 karting sessions at Michael Johnson Karting in Denton is $250 from what I've been told.

Quote Originally Posted by johnwag View Post
    5 karting sessions at Michael Johnson Karting in Denton is $250 from what I've been told.
    I had no idea it was that expensive. Maverick Region Porsche Club Drivers Education (Open Lapping / Driving Instruction) consisting of 8 30-minute sessions -- with instructors if you want -- spread over two days is about the same. I'm sure karting is fun, but it's clearly not the inexpensive way to get your motorsports fun...
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

It sounds kinda expensive to "Arrive and Drive". But, I think it's fairly inexpensive to do as a hobby (If you compare car racing, not cross stitching). A friend of mine at work just bough a used kart for around $2000, a one year membership at NTK in Denton for $300, and pays $25 a month for storage to keep his kart at the track. The membership gets him unlimited track time and race entry fees are $50. He bought his kart last Friday, practiced Friday night, and raced 3 times on Saturday. He said he can do a 14 race season on two sets of tires. Sounds kinda tempting.
    99, MP62, Tien Monoflex, 949/V8 Roadster Control Arms, Wilwood BBK, RB Front sway, Stock Rear Bar, That's the main stuff

Quote Originally Posted by MINI-P View Post
    ...But, I think it's fairly inexpensive to do as a hobby (If you compare car racing, not cross stitching)...
    Until you factor in the medical bills for cracked ribs (serious lateral G's) and broken legs (go head on into one of the barriers, and you'll understand). Still it is cheaper than wadding up a prepared race car, and I understand the adrenaline rush is amazing!
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

Quote Originally Posted by MINI-P View Post
    It sounds kinda expensive to "Arrive and Drive". But, I think it's fairly inexpensive to do as a hobby (If you compare car racing, not cross stitching). A friend of mine at work just bough a used kart for around $2000, a one year membership at NTK in Denton for $300, and pays $25 a month for storage to keep his kart at the track. The membership gets him unlimited track time and race entry fees are $50. He bought his kart last Friday, practiced Friday night, and raced 3 times on Saturday. He said he can do a 14 race season on two sets of tires. Sounds kinda tempting.
    It's like anything, you can put as much money into it as you want. You can buy a used kart for a couple thousand bucks and race it locally. Or you can get something competitive and travel to regional events. It's easy to spend $20,000 in a season once you account for travel. Top-level national caliber teams could get into six figures due to travel and a rigorous testing schedule. Those are the Scott Speeds of the world.

Not much different than cars, really. You can buy a stock miata and autocross it just for fun, or you can go and try to win Spec Miata at the SCCA runoffs.

Karting is probably the quickest, cheapest way to get into wheel-to-wheel racing, but like anything, the desire to advance always creeps in.

But it is a rush. I'd like to get back in a kart again at some point in time.
    2013 Red Volkswagen GTI
    ex Miata owner

Also, hopefully everyone here saw this thread in the other Events section: http://www.dfwmiata.com/showthread.p...arting-Complex
    2013 Red Volkswagen GTI
    ex Miata owner