Thread: My Company Website needs love....

Default My Company Website needs love....

My company website is old and has looked pretty much the same since Al Gore turned on the interwebs.

I've been using Frontpage 2000 forever but it is time to class this sucker up.

Got a couple of things that are holding me back.
    1. I can just barely use FrontPage.
    2. I wouldn't know HTML code if it hit in the side of the head.

What I'd like to get is something simple that would allow me to redo the website without having to know a bunch of code. Something WYSIWYG based that would allow someone with limited skills to publish and maintain a website.

Is there such a software available?

TIA

Driver

Yes, but I'd not recommend that YOU use it. Coding the site is one thing. DESIGNING the site is quite another.

If you're unwilling to pay a qualified designer (which I work with/am a partner in a design and development firm) then you should find a template that will get you 99% of the way there and use that.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Is there such a software available?

TIA
    Yes... there are several... I use Drupal...

Drop TC a note and he can probably point you to the one that you need....
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

TC isn't interested in designing any websites at the moment... Please feel free to step up to bat to help POS out and negotiate a fair fee.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by goofygrin View Post
    If you're unwilling to pay a qualified designer (which I work with/am a partner in a design and development firm) then you should find a template that will get you 99% of the way there and use that.
    Just to eliminate any gray area - I am unwilling to pay a qualified designer.

I already have a website up and running it just needs some love.

I already have a website up and running it just needs some love.
    Have a peek at Drupal... they have a bunch of themes that might suit your needs... it's not too hard to work with assuming basic web skills...
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

what is the website?
    M3 is always the answer.

Driver

Quote Originally Posted by Dave04 View Post
    it's not too hard to work with assuming basic web skills...
    I'm guessing since POS is using FP and he doesn't want to touch HTML, that this is a stretch.

Quote Originally Posted by ken o View Post
    what is the website?
    www.harrisonindustrial.com

I'm guessing since POS is using FP and he doesn't want to touch HTML, that this is a stretch.
    I think you may be correct, I am willing to learn but I like the old WYSIWYG ways that I have done with my Frontpage 2000.

All the stuff I have looked at online so far shows a lot of the code stuff which I'm sure is a vast majority of the users of the software. Some do mention they use WYSIWYG but don't really go into any detail on how.

Wonder if I'd be better going to Frontpage 2003 and getting the site better organized and cleaned up a touch.

Driver

Brah... the HTML ain't the issue. The design is...

Dang POS! Surprised Tarentino hasn't filmed something in your warehouse!
    95 r white

Quote Originally Posted by patf View Post
    Dang POS! Surprised Tarentino hasn't filmed something in your warehouse!
    Que?

Brah... the HTML ain't the issue. The design is...
    Well Duh! It started as a one page here we are website.

The site has been mutating for years and has hit the point where it is just a mess. That is why I want to clean it up.

It still gets us quite a bit of business but needs love and attention.

Driver

POS, I take it you're some sort of engineer... as am I. You can organize and clean up the crap generated HTML that's in your site and it will still be an organized ugly, 1998 style website, which might be fine for your business -- but realize that it will still be ugly.

Most sites start out this way. Someone at the business owns it and maintains it and then one day realizes that it's turned into a spaghetti piece of crap.

Anyway, no software will be able to take the mess you've got and make it into something pretty and more functional. I'll quit crapping on your thread

POS, I take it you're some sort of engineer... as am I. You can organize and clean up the crap generated HTML that's in your site and it will still be an organized ugly, 1998 style website, which might be fine for your business -- but realize that it will still be ugly.

Most sites start out this way. Someone at the business owns it and maintains it and then one day realizes that it's turned into a spaghetti piece of crap.

Anyway, no software will be able to take the mess you've got and make it into something pretty and more functional. I'll quit crapping on your thread
    Appreciate all the help! Don't let the door hit ya.

I want to redo the entire thing that is why I am asking about software.

Neither were they!! : Link

POS if it makes you feel better, here's my piece o' crap website. I'm the tech department, plumbing/ electrical department (when something breaks), and the janitorial department (when something.. well...)

www.partybazaardallas.com

Frankly although your site isn't flashy, I can navigate it and it works fine for me.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks sxk122 it still gets us quite a few inquiries every week.

It needs a good tune up. I just need to find some software.

That's what matters. We are kinda the same, we get quite a few calls that are generated from our site; it has more than paid for itself.

In your case I don't think a flashier site would necessarily generate more business I have a feeling your client base doesn't care......

And in my case short of adding more product content and purchase capability its at a standstill. There is only so much time in the day.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Not really wanting flashier just want to clean it up and reorganize parts of it. Plus I like to keep it updated with the latest and greatest.