Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY intake.

Default DIY intake.

I'm thinking of doing the 90 degree intake that sits behind the passenger headlight. Searched this forum and saw a member had it. It's cheap, beats getting air from the hot side, and I can remove the airbox + everything else for weight savings.

A few questions...

1) What do I do with the MAF sensor and wiring? I guess extend it, but I can't seem to find anything to extend it with.

2) Is there anything else that I need besides the hose, 2 clamps, and filter?

From what I've heard, it's not worth the trouble of extending the MAF wiring.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt V View Post
    From what I've heard, it's not worth the trouble of extending the MAF wiring.
    So then that intake setup is not worth it at all? Is there another way of doing it without extending the wiring?

What about a DIY cowl intake with a JR airbox filter?

Sorry for all the questions.

The best intake mod I've seen is the Randall cowl intake duct.

http://www.flyinmiata.com/index.php?...umber=05-27000

This is actually proven to give you 5 hp.

i tried the randall style mod and it was no better than the zip tied air filter to the airbox top I had in before...

I'd copy a simple spec miata type intake...cone filter up by the clutch reservoir and a straight tube going from the MAF to said filter. It works.
    David Hedderick
    Houston, TX
    92 Miata SE; 08 Mazda 3s; 12 Mazdaspeed 3

I know the Spec Miata guys like this as it keeps the A/F balanced.
    http://5xracing.com/i-789646-sp-indu...n-bracket.html
    M3 is always the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by ken o View Post
    I know the Spec Miata guys like this as it keeps the A/F balanced.
    http://5xracing.com/i-789646-sp-indu...n-bracket.html
    That's for the 1.6L, I have the 1.8L. So I don't know if that would work.

I'll probably just leave the intake alone for now. I don't want to spend more than $50-60 on the modification, so I don't want to buy pre-fabbed kits.

I've thought about doing an intake on my car for years, just never got around to it.

Primary reasons for me is, throttle response and sound, mainly. The intake I put in the Civic I know didn't make too much of a difference powerwise, but somehow made the car feel lighter and more lively. I loved it, even if it was mostly psycological.

My problem in the summer is engine pinging due to high underhood temps. Which is a a big negative for an aftermarket intake that puts it right by the header causing lots of heat soak. From what I've read putting it on the coldside on an N/A engine takes away low end torque, which i'm not a fan of. I planned to simply install a cone filter on the hot side, leave the intake tube,(i've read it's very well engineered and not a power bottleneck), and take care of my pinging problem at the same time by some clever planning and installing an aluminum heat shield. Done right i've seen people on Miata.net prove temperature benefits over stock this way. I would also plan ahead since I eventually want an aftermarket header.

I wouldn't give up on your project yet. Most of the hot side heat shield setups I've seen cost less than $50. (~$30 cone filter + bunch of random brackets and almuminum sheeting from Home Depot)

When I finally get around to this project, I plan to get a ratty headlight cover and make a DIY NACA air duct to feed the cold box.

Sound, response, temperature control, that's it. Probably not much power, but it seems like an easy project.

Edit: I couldn't find the guy's setup that I was going to rip off :), but if you search Miata.net for something like DIY intake heatshield, or coldbox intake, you'll get lots of different ideas for this seemingly easy mod.
    Last edited by Jiggerachi; 02-10-2011 at 11:23 AM.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggerachi View Post
    When I finally get around to this project, I plan to get a ratty headlight cover and make a DIY NACA air duct to feed the cold box.

Sound, response, temperature control, that's it. Probably not much power, but it seems like an easy project.
    I was thinking about doing the Racing Beat style intake, with the turn signal intakes and/or NACA duct.

The only problem is that I have a hard time getting the bolts connecting the intake to the airbox off...

http://www.dfwmiata.com/showthread.p...se.&highlight=
    Last edited by BFPW; 02-10-2011 at 03:56 PM.

Hmmm...I don't seem to have had a problem with mine (if htat's what i'm thinking of). When I get home, if I remember i'll take a look at my airbox to see what's up.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Found a nice website.

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/

Any NB owners with custom intakes that would like to share their work? I've toyed with an intake for my '99, but I'm convinced that I'd just be sucking in hot air from near the header. The cowl intake seems to be the way to go... Like Jiggerachi, I just want the noise factor and any increase in throttle response is a bonus. I don't care if I add power...
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green
    Looking for my next car...

Here is my 1.6 intake.

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by MoonieGT View Post
    Any NB owners with custom intakes that would like to share their work? I've toyed with an intake for my '99, but I'm convinced that I'd just be sucking in hot air from near the header. The cowl intake seems to be the way to go... Like Jiggerachi, I just want the noise factor and any increase in throttle response is a bonus. I don't care if I add power...
    You could take off the airbox, connect the MAF to a 180 degree silicon hose, then put a K&N style filter on the end of that. It will take air directly behind the driver side headlight. You could also do the NACA and turn signal intakes to increase cooler ambient air.

This is what I'm doing with my NA. I just need to make a decent bracket to hold it all up.

I would think that this, and the cowl style intakes, are the only real beneficial types.

I think the problem is the fact that without isolating the intake you'll be sucking in hot air. Your idea is good, but you still probably need some sort of isolating box for any increased benefit other than sound. The stock airbox is good at insulating heat soak. Remove that and you get direct hot air. If you're running an aftermarket header, they apparently generate lots more heat.

Aiming it behind the headlight might be better, but yy black car, even wth stock header/exhaust heat shield, gets HOT under the hood in teh summer, the entire area, even behind the headlight.

There used to be a knock off RB style aluminum 180 bend pipe with filter on ebay for $30 or so. I never picked it up, but cant seem to find it now.

Oh BTW, he's got an NB, they might be a little harder to fit a NACA duct or even TSIs (???) with the fixed headlights and different front end.

Edit: That intake that JRJ posted with the long arm towards the back, might be a colder area or something, i'm not sure, if that's what the spec guys run, it's gotta be a good solution, but they don't have to worry about stoplights like us street cars.
    Last edited by Jiggerachi; 02-11-2011 at 03:36 PM.

Prefers his T-Bones Deboned... jeff_man's Avatar

very cheap version, spend the $40 for a silicone 90*, i did that for my track car before i went boosted

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggerachi View Post
    Oh BTW, he's got an NB, they might be a little harder to fit a NACA duct or even TSIs (???) with the fixed headlights and different front end.
    Forgot about that.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff_man View Post

very cheap version, spend the $40 for a silicone 90*, i did that for my track car before i went boosted
    How did you extend the MAF wiring?

Prefers his T-Bones Deboned... jeff_man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BFPW View Post
    How did you extend the MAF wiring?
    didn't, the wires are taped in a group, cut it open then retape after removing the wires. also remove the intake air temp wires with you. you are turning one taped up group of wires and making 2, very simple. the wires are coming from under the intake manifold.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast