Thread: Clutch job, driveshaft, motor mounts

Default Clutch job, driveshaft, motor mounts

Ok so i'm planning the clutch job i've been dreading for months, Were planning it in teh next two weeks. Buying some last minute things from rosenthal. Just need to make sure I've got all the random seals and whatever is good to replace while im down there. I've been searching but haven't come up with a complete list other than TO / pilot bearings, rear main.

Doing a clutch / fidanza flywheel, replacing driveshaft with junk yard piece, replacing shot to hell motor mounts with Mazdaspeed mounts.

So far i've got, full budget clutch kit form rosenthal, inc. pressure plate TO bearing, pilot bearing, allignment tool.
    Flywheel with Fidanza's special threaded screws.
    Rear main seal.
    New shifter rod bushings, and the inner/outer boots.

Ordering now:
    Transmission Front seal
    Transmission rear seal
    Gear oil, trans / diff.
    New clutch / brake pedal rubber, the bare metal is scratching up my shoes.

^I'm assuming these are a good idea, but haven't seen them reccommended in the threads i've read. Also, is there a cheaper place to get these form, i.e Vatozone, oreileys?

Tools, between me and a buddy we should have everything covered. I'm heading to harbor freight for something for the Element this weekend, i'm going to pick up a seal puller if they have one cheap enough. If not i'll use a screwdriver.

Anything else would be a good idea while i'm replacing the motor mounts / drive shaft...anything i'm forgetting relating to the clutch?
    Last edited by Jiggerachi; 02-10-2011 at 03:08 PM.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Have you got the motor mounts yet? I heard they were on backorder.

Get a three-foot extension for your ratchet. It makes it easier to get the top transmission bolt off from under the car.

^do I need a solid 3 foot, or two 1.5 foot with a swivel, or 3 or 4 clipped together? I think we have enough extensions if there's no clearance problems with sticking them together.

Edit: one question i'll ask more specifically.

The two transmission seals, anyone seen the offerings from Oreileys or Vatozone, decent quality? Or should I walk away and stay with OEM?
    Last edited by Jiggerachi; 02-10-2011 at 03:37 PM.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I'd buy OEM seals. (I have a seal puller if you want to borrow it)

3 or 4 extensions clipped together will work fine.

I use a single four-foot extension with a swivel and socket on the end. But I already had it.

I'd go OEM on the seals today. Or I might see what NAPA has. The low end guys used to offer low-med-decent grade options. Recently they've been dumping the decent name brand stuff and the options look like crap-bad-low.

Always forget about Napa, there's one right by my house. Might check them out.

Sammmm, i'll take you up on that seal puller. I'll send you a PM some time shortly.

Anyone have an impact driver for a phillips head screw?? Then I won't have to go into Irving. I have to tackle the dreaded Honda rotor screws this weekend, and i'm not looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggerachi View Post
    Always forget about Napa, there's one right by my house.
    They recently got pedal pads for me.

You might check with TDR on the parts you still need.
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD
    2006 Red NC - GT with limited slip, HIDs, all OEM.

^Good call. I'll be calling them tomorrow anyway. Local is always better.

Quote Originally Posted by wrx74 View Post
    They recently got pedal pads for me.
    Do you recall how much they charged for them?

Nevermind, found it. $2.89

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Det...+50042+2042021
    Last edited by Jiggerachi; 02-10-2011 at 09:34 PM.

Slave cylinder, replacement clutch line, brake fluid.

I'm guessing the flywheel cleaned up enough for you?

Slave is relatively new, and easy enough to change when/if it starts leaking so i'll leave it alone for now.

Flywheel cleaned up OK, still looks like small hotspots, but i'm not really worried. I'm going to hit it with some 400 grit this time and call it a day. My wife's insurance company just came back Friday and slapped us with an extra $800 bill from our son being born last year, so i'm not in the mood to spend anymore on this thing, haha.