Thread: Screeching at low speeds

Default Screeching at low speeds

I have had an issue lately where at low speeds, I have a very high pitched squeaking/screeching sound. It's most obvious when I'm driving directly next to a wall, perfect place to hear it is in a drive-thru. It sounds like there is a squeaking in the brake/wheel area, possibly a bent shield? I just wonder how it couldn't gotten bent randomly.

Could be a bent shield. Might also be a stuck caliper? Is it road-speed-dependent or engine-speed-dependent?
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Rear Brake Pads have a metal clip that will touch the rotor when they wear down to the minimum thickness. COuld be time for new pads if they haven't been changed in a while.
    2000 Miata LS - TEIN FLEX, RB header & Exhaust, Monster CAI, HDHC single diagonal with door bars.

Been in the gravel, lately? Happens all the time out at Mineral Wells - rock between the brake shield and the rotor.
    Last edited by wrx74; 02-12-2011 at 09:37 AM.

Also you might check the springs on your brake pads. They're easy to see with the wheel off. The keep the pad off the rotor. I'm missing two on the left rear and it screeches all the time just like that.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Quote Originally Posted by Matt V View Post
    I have a very high pitched squeaking/screeching sound. It's most obvious when I'm driving directly next to a wall, perfect place to hear it is in a drive-thru. It sounds like there is a squeaking in the brake/wheel area, possibly a bent shield?
    When it is doing this and you touch the brakes does the noise stop or change??
    Last edited by POS Racing; 02-12-2011 at 09:41 AM.

I changed my brake pads not too long ago so it's not that. And I didn't have that noise after I did them.

POS - It's anytime the car is moving, probably stops once I hit 15 to 20 MPH. Hitting the brake pedal doesn't seem to change the noise.

I also just bought new rotors, and have those on the way. I'll probably just look into it once I get the time to install those.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Sounds like a rock caught in the brake shield to me.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

I heard nothing unusual in the video, but I'm with sammm on it being a rock in the shield. Try backing up and see if it will come out.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

It's the high pitches squealing noise that begins at one second.

Default New video of noise coming from rear wheel, please help me

You might've seen my other thread that showed a quick clip of the noise I'm having, I made a better one so you guys can see what I'm talking about. Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amIwdeHzA0o

I get this noise regardless if the caliper is tightened down or not so I might be lead to believe that this isn't brake related. The wheel is also VERY hard to turn by hand regardless of how loose/tight the caliper is, is that normal or is it supposed to have some free spin? The only thing I can think of is my wheel bearing, which I had done a few months ago by Mick. Maybe it's making noise again? I have no idea, not blaming him, but it's just something that might be pointed out. Please tell me what you guys think, I'd like to fix this today if at all possible.

Ok regarding the resistance on the wheels, I forgot I had the car in gear. Regardless, the noise is still there.

Have you actually taken the pads off and inspected them? Sometimes a pad fails or cracks. Also, have you tried greasing your caliper and seals? They sell a specific hi-temp grease for them. You might think about pushing the piston all the way back in (grease the exposed portion first), then make sure the seal is in good condition and is seated properly all the way around. Not that the problem seems to be necessarily there, but you can try to eliminate a dragging caliper/stuck piston by ensuring all those parts move freely. Grease the slider pins too. I had one frozen on the NC not that long ago, which kept the pad cocked at an angle, dragging on the rotor just barely.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

I've taken off the caliper/pads and the noise is still there. It's coming from behind the hub.

bummer
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Eliminates any ideas I might have. Mick thinks it might be the dust seal?