Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Maverick Region PCA Time Trial #1 and Autocross #1, 3/19-3/20 Mineral Wells

Default Maverick Region PCA Time Trial #1 and Autocross #1, 3/19-3/20 Mineral Wells

For those not going to the SCCA National Tour in Houston, the Maverick Region of the Porsche Club of America is hosting a Time Trail on Saturday 3/19 and an Autocross on Sunday 3/20 at Mineral Wells Airport.

If you have not attended one of the their time trials, they are a lot of fun. You spend your time in third and fourth gears rather than second gear, like in an autocross.

I plan to attend both the time trial and the autocross.

More info at http://mav.pca.org/Events/AX.asp.

I already signed up for the TT. Do you know which course they are running?

I'm a newbie to time trials......

I'm surprised Travis hasn't seen your question and responded yet. We should be running course 1 on Saturday Time-Trial. This is the fastest of the 3 courses, with speeds on the back stretch reaching around 95mph for a well-setup Miata that can take the sweeper before the straight with the pedal to the floor. My car is too bouncy to take it full tilt as it's a little rough in that area.

Travis has in the past setup completely new courses for us to try, so Course 1 is only if there are no breaks with tradition. There are course maps on the Mav website. Look for Jerret or for me, in a red 1st gen with hardtop. Just don't confuse me with the other red hard-top 1st gen belonging to that race-driver Gabby guy. Tell them at registration that you are a newbie and you will get assigned an instructor and get instruction during parade laps prior to the event and even an instructor to ride with you during the event if you desire.

The Mavs that run the TT and AX events are a great bunch of car people who really do enjoy seeing non-Porsches out there. Look forward to seeing you there.

Maniac Mitch.

There is course one.

In my car, even when I had a stock suspension, I would mat it at the apex of corner one and not let off until entering three. My favorite parts are four and five. It is hard to nail four just right and five is a decreasing radius, so it can get hairy.

You are in third and fourth (maybe fifth in a six-speed?) the whole time, so there is plenty of speed.

If you have not tried one of these, they are a lot of fun. Yes, you have to take you turn working the course, but it is usually standing there with nothing to do, since few people hit cones.

Yeah this is my first PCA TT. Will be interesting to see the format.

I'm just going to take a wild guess but I think I will be in 4th in turn 2 and be going to 5th as it straightens out and hitting over 100mph before braking into 3.

Maybe I should bring out TH so I have somebody to beat.

How much seat time do you get? Even though it's MW is the TT format less abrasive on tires than autocross with more low speed hard cornering?
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    How much seat time do you get? Even though it's MW is the TT format less abrasive on tires than autocross with more low speed hard cornering?
    I think the TT is harder on them out there. It tears tires up pretty good. Ask TH, he doesn't want to go to TT because it eats his tires (or that is his excuse).

Just as a caution, Turn 2 is the sweeper I mentioned...it is very bumpy. If your suspension is not real compliant, you can skate off to the left...to about a 12" drop-off. The drop-off is a long way off the course line, but if you got into a nasty spin, you might reach it. I lost it there in a 240Z I had, and did about 720 degree spin. No problem I thought. Later when I was waiting with another worker for worker truck pickup, he walked me over to the edge to see. THEN I got a big pucker factor.

Slowchildmiata, for someone like me that doesn't visit this forum very often, what have you done to your Miata?

Maniac Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by slowchildmiata View Post
    I think the TT is harder on them out there. It tears tires up pretty good. Ask TH, he doesn't want to go to TT because it eats his tires (or that is his excuse).
    Oh well screw that then. I already destroyed a pair of tires last weekend.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

Quote Originally Posted by Maniac Mitch View Post
    Slowchildmiata, for someone like me that doesn't visit this forum very often, what have you done to your Miata?

Maniac Mitch
    Intercooled MP62 Supercharger and tein monoflex.

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    How much seat time do you get?
    +1. How many consecutive laps? Any issues running stock brake pads?
    2013 Red Volkswagen GTI
    ex Miata owner

Quote Originally Posted by cleave View Post
    +1. How many consecutive laps? Any issues running stock brake pads?
    Generally, in the AM, you get about 30 minutes of practice at 1/2-2/3 speed to get used to the course. There is no passing.

For your timed runs, you get a warm-up lap and then three hot laps. From the time you leave the grid for your warm-up lap, you do not stop until you complete three timed laps. You keep going around and around, unlike an AX where you stop between runs. After your third timed lap, they will display a checkered flag and you will return to grid. Once they cycle through grid, you will get a second set of three laps. Then they switch workers and drivers. After the lunch break, they will either do two more sets of three laps or one set of four, depending on time.

There are multiple cars on the course, but they time them out so you will not encounter them. You cannot pass, so if you catch a car, then you stop at a corner station, they hold you until the car in front of you has advanced, and they will let you go. You will get an extra lap to make up for it.

You should be fine on stock pads.

Slowchildmiata....nice vid. Your Teins appear to much more compliant that my old-school Koni's set on full firm. You couldn't make out the course from my in-car video in the past out there.

BTW, the vid appears to be TT course 1. So I'm confused about this being your first PCA TT.

And yes, a decent setup M62 will easily reach 100mph before turn 3. Hope your brakes were upgraded also. I look forward to seeing you run. It's a shame we will all be running together and can't be working a corner when you run. All Miata's will be in a "X" class with the number based on mods...but all X class cars run the same group (and worker rotation). BTW, your car will probably be in PCA Maverick class 4X. There's a worksheet to help you figure the class out on the Mav website.

Tearing up tires? Well yes MW does it's share of wear...it will leave a rough surface on your tires because the ancient asphalt is rough. But like any other site, your wear will depend on how hard you push it. This is part of an old Vietnam-era Helicopter training base. The almost faded-out dark squares out there were tie-down areas for the helicopters. Note the Huey up high on display on the south side of 180 as you're coming into Mineral Wells. It's a Vietnam memorial. The Huey used to be at the entrance to the part of the Airpark that the event is held on...now there's a jet. Sorry to bore those that already know the history.

I always heat cycle my tires to death before I wear them out at MW...just I'm not an overly aggressive driver. My old RS2s have about had it...with still plenty of tread. So I will be looking for another set of something later this year. I did change my spring rate (25% higer) this winter only on the front...so it will be interesting for me at this first event as I find the limits again.

Again, enjoyed the vid. Good review for this week-end.

Maniac Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    Generally...
    Thanks.
    2013 Red Volkswagen GTI
    ex Miata owner

Jerrett are you making the course for the Sunday autocross or is it gonna be a PCA special?

Quote Originally Posted by 762 View Post
    Jerrett are you making the course for the Sunday autocross or is it gonna be a PCA special?
    Nope, it is all theirs.

Cosmos - I think the TT can definitely cook your brakes if you are aggressive with them; I've generally run a cool-down drive to the terminal and back a couple times before I park it, and I had some brake fade in the Yaris at a TT. Nothing that will ruin them, but be prepared for some significant pad wear.

As for tires, you already know the answer to that at MW. It doesn't wear the shoulders as badly as autox, but the higher speeds will be making your tires work. If I were you, I'd run street tires or try to flip your Yokohama and keep an eye on them.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

TT are fun but they do wear tires and brakes a little more. With my BMW on this course last fall I was hitting 110 before going into turn 3, keep your foot on the gas until you see god and then brake!!

I would recommend that your brake system is in good working order, fresh fluid. It is your most important safety item.

I really like time trials but I will probably do the autox to feel out the Miata and prepare for the pro solo since I just installed offset bushings and will have a new alignment.

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    Cosmos - I think the TT can definitely cook your brakes if you are aggressive with them; I've generally run a cool-down drive to the terminal and back a couple times before I park it, and I had some brake fade in the Yaris at a TT. Nothing that will ruin them, but be prepared for some significant pad wear.

As for tires, you already know the answer to that at MW. It doesn't wear the shoulders as badly as autox, but the higher speeds will be making your tires work. If I were you, I'd run street tires or try to flip your Yokohama and keep an eye on them.
    BMW ran a TT course (think it was a PCA one actually) one time for an auto-x a few years ago since there were only about 25 people and it wasn't too bad on brakes even though I got to 115 mph on the longest straight. The speeds were higher but not triple digits to 30 mph which would really put the hurt on the pads. The rear Yokos were completely destroyed at LSP, probably from the huge spin in the AM run. I have 2 more showing up today but I'm not running them on abrasive surfaces anymore. I spoke to a Yokohama engineer and these tires really aren't ideal for autocross unless it's about 105F outside :)

As far as this event, I'm skipping and going to play Tour 18 on Sat instead :)
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast