Thread: Mitsubishi says Evo X is the last Evo

Default Mitsubishi says Evo X is the last Evo

From Autoblog:

According to Gayu Eusegi, head of global product development for Mitsubishi, the Lancer Evolution X will be the last Evo the Japanese automaker ever builds. Eusegi says the move is part of a shift in strategy to put the company's product focus and ethos on leadership in EV technology.

To that end, Autocar indicates that Mitsubishi will release eight fully-electric or hybrid-electric cars by the time 2015 rolls around, and make a grab for a big portion of the CO2-reduction market share. It goes without saying that the fun-yet-fuel-swilling Evo just doesn't fit that mindset, particularly since it apes a rally car that no longer exists.

Despite the Evo's huge popularity, Mitsubishi apparently isn't scared of the step and says it's confident that consumers will glom on to the idea and rally behind the brand. By killing the Evo, they're making their intentions plain to an increasingly environmentally-conscious car-buying public.

Eusegi killed dead any notion that the brand would roll out a performance-oriented hybrid as well. "Maybe the world can change, and maybe someday we can do a motor race by electric vehicles. Maybe then we can enter the market agian," he said.

This report of the Evo's death would seem to stand in contrast to multiple reports that an Evo XI is in the works with a hybrid drivetrain. We're taking this latest Autocar missive with a few grains of salt, as we can see how Eusegi may have simply meant that an Evo that relies exclusively on internal combustion is dead – a hybrid Evo would seem to offer a nice technological bridge to Mitsubishi's more electrically minded future.

The Evo is the only car Mitsubishi makes worth buying, imho. Something tells me this is the last chapter in their long slow slide out of the US market.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

It is sad that the market will be loosing another performance car, but I can't say I have ever been tempted to stroll in to a Mitsubishi dealership to check one out.

Prefers his T-Bones Deboned... jeff_man's Avatar

sti > evo, only problem is with the evo gone the sti might start slacking

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    From Autoblog:

The Evo is the only car Mitsubishi makes worth buying, imho. Something tells me this is the last chapter in their long slow slide out of the US market.
    Did Mitsu make any money on the Evo and did it get people in the dealer to buy cars from their crap line? When you consider the way Capital Hill and The White House continuously put a gun to the head of foreign car companies requiring them to produce "fuel efficient marketable" vehicles this is may not be an entirely bad move. I should also note that these cars are neither fuel efficient, environmentally friendly, nor marketable when you consider federal subsidization. In short, Mitsubishi intends for the White House to ignore Libyan oil commodities. With any luck, the PT cruiser and HHR will save American car company truck lines from CAFE standards and with any luck GM can fine Toyota again.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

Quote Originally Posted by jeff_man View Post
    sti > evo, only problem is with the evo gone the sti might start slacking
    The STi has been slacking for years. Haven't they used the same engine since 04 in the US? I instructed a guy in an Evo X this weekend and it was a nice car. Very comfortable, decent interior, good power (Cobb stg 2 flash), good brakes, but it understeers badly with any hint of higher corner entry speeds.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Driver

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    The STi has been slacking for years. Haven't they used the same engine since 04 in the US? I instructed a guy in an Evo X this weekend and it was a nice car. Very comfortable, decent interior, good power (Cobb stg 2 flash), good brakes, but it understeers badly with any hint of higher corner entry speeds.
    You should have known that from driving my old Evo.

Quote Originally Posted by goofygrin View Post
    You should have known that from driving my old Evo.
    LOL, I have a sucky memory. Your evo actually turned in nicely with the camber and suspension, I actually had a good time driving your old car. This one was bone stock with OEM tires.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car