Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 99 long block - or - engine machine shop in Ft Worth

Unhappy 99 long block - or - engine machine shop in Ft Worth

I need to price a Miata engine rebuild machine work. I recall there is a good machine shop in Ft Worth that does good Miata work. I can't find any information on who they might be. Superpages.com was no help. Does anyone know who they are or know of a good shop Ft Worth or farther west???

I would consider also a used 99-00 engine with less than 80K miles. Only need the long block...but complete and assembled. If you guys priced complete gasket sets you'd know why.

Thanks,
    Maniac Mitch

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

PM Rogue if you don't get a reply soon.

How you been? Good to see you back.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Too bad POS Racing sold his '99 Sport, otherwise I would offer you the engine out of his.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    Too bad POS Racing sold his '99 Sport, otherwise I would offer you the engine out of his.
    I do know where the car is located!

Day Custom Engine will be the machine shop that Rogue will more than likely recommend. Link - http://www.daycustomengine.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Maniac Mitch View Post
    I need to price a Miata engine rebuild machine work. I recall there is a good machine shop in Ft Worth that does good Miata work. I can't find any information on who they might be. Superpages.com was no help. Does anyone know who they are or know of a good shop Ft Worth or farther west???

I would consider also a used 99-00 engine with less than 80K miles. Only need the long block...but complete and assembled. If you guys priced complete gasket sets you'd know why.

Thanks,
    Maniac Mitch
    Mitch,

Are you a member of the Mazdaspeed Motorsports Development Program? If not, you should be. Just send them results from at least two events you've done in the car in the past year - PCA autocrosses and time trials count as well.

I'd call Mazdacomp and see what their price is on a new longblock. You'd be surprised how cheap you can get OE parts through them.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

thanks for the post POS....but the link you gave for Day Custom engine is in Richardson. I live 45 minutes west of the West Loop 820...so Richardson is on the other side of the world. I've talked to this Ft Worth Machine shop before, but can't find any notes, and nothing that pops up with a yellow pages search is familiar. But there USED to be a decent shop in Ft Worth...still trying to find it to get new quotes for work.

Quote Originally Posted by Maniac Mitch View Post
    thanks for the post POS....but the link you gave for Day Custom engine is in Richardson. I live 45 minutes west of the West Loop 820...so Richardson is on the other side of the world.
    Sorry about your location I was just letting you know how Rogue uses. I'd think if he found someone as good near him in Justin, TX he would use them rather than have to go to Richardson.

Just saying.

Yep. We also use John Day for motor rebuilds at Track Dog Racing. Of course he is much closer but he does great work and knows his stuff. He rebuilds everything from flat-head Fords to modern DOHC 4-bangers.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

anybody use one of these JDM engine sellers? If so, how did that turn out? who would you recommend?

I know several folks have gone the used JDM route but I imagine those sources may dry up soon.

Any used motor is a risk. Just depends on if it is a risk you consider worth taking. If you can get leak down numbers before purchase it would be worth considering.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

I've used these guys in the past with good results - a little closer than Richardson. They do all machine work in-house, but they've got an outside guy that does their builds.

Arlington Automotive Machine
    511 East Main Street, Arlington, TX 76010-1229
    (817) 261-9022 ‎
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

PM sent Mitch
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Haruki Murakami

lol @ Automotive Machine in Ft. Worth...I used them once when I had a VW, never again.

I'd drive to John Day, he has a great performance/reliability record. I'd also like to know how cheap the Mazda Motorsports discount get's us a 99 longblock for. I'd join if the price is right, my daily could use a motor.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

I may be stating the obvious, but keep in mind to join Mazda Motorsports you have to compete in two events a year. I don't auto-x, but I do go to the track 2-3 times a year. Track days do not apply to Mazda Motorsports membership, at least not as I understand it. I'd love to be wrong...
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green
    Looking for my next car...

Quote Originally Posted by mr brg View Post
    lol @ Automotive Machine in Ft. Worth...I used them once when I had a VW, never again.
    What happened? They have been in business for years with a great reputation.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by MoonieGT View Post
    Track days do not apply to Mazda Motorsports membership
    The events have to have published (ie, interweb) results with your name and car info....as I understand it.

I may be stating the obvious, but keep in mind to join Mazda Motorsports you have to compete in two events a year. I don't auto-x, but I do go to the track 2-3 times a year. Track days do not apply to Mazda Motorsports membership, at least not as I understand it. I'd love to be wrong...
    I just signed up and the events have to have published results. So HPDEs wouldn't count if I read it right. If you did NASA TT then it would.

I have never updated Mazda with any events in addition to the original submissions five years ago. They have never requested any updates. They have never refused by purshase requests. I don't think they keep up with it very well, so get two under your belt and you should be good for a long while.

I went ahead and called Arlington Automotive Machine. Got an old guy who said they don't do many Miata engines, and didn't know anyone who could assemble. I emailed trickyrix about his experience...maybe it was long ago.

If you end up going to Arlington Machine, see that you talk to Eddie and not Ed. Old Ed seems to be getting forgetful...
    Oh, and you WILL need to call them for updates on your parts. They will not call you.
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast