Thread: Auto Trans Fluid Change - CRV

Default Auto Trans Fluid Change - CRV

Is there is a fill plug in the CRV auto trans for refilling the trans fluid or fill it from the dip stick? Also, how many cycles of 'fill and drain' that I have go through to make sure all the old fluid is drained out? I have only done manual trans fluid change and not on an auto. Thanks for the help.
    Gabriel

with an auto i have purchased the m1 auto trans fluid and taken it to kwik car and have them use their machine with my fluid. in order to get all the old fluid out it really needs to be put on one of those machines that captures the oil coming to the cooler and replaces it with new. on my expedition this takes about 14 quarts, but with synthetic it shifts so smooth, even nearing 300k on the odometer...
    95 r white

You can drain and fill as many times as you like, but you won't be able to get the fluid out of the torque converter without the machine described above.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Why are you wanting to change the fluid?

If your CRV is anything like my Dad's old Pilot funky shifting = replacement transmission....

Luckily it was a lease vehicle and we happily returned that to Honda!

POS makes a good point. The trans in my pre-Miata Camry (the Cam Ray) started getting slippy, but by that time it was already too late. The fluid was burned and it ended up digesting 4th and reverse before I sold it as a "fixer-upper."

How many miles on the CRV? Are you changing the fluid "just because" or because it's acting funny?
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

I think the first tranny fluid interval on the Honda should be at 30k, then every 20k afterwards... I would just drain it and fill it back up since its so often.

Just take it to the Stealership!

I have never changed the auto tranny fluid in my 98 civic in 196K miles and it still works great!!
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD
    2006 Red NC - GT with limited slip, HIDs, all OEM.

Seriously, you might call Executive Imports in Garland to see if they will change it.
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD
    2006 Red NC - GT with limited slip, HIDs, all OEM.

It is a 07 CRV. It comes with the maintenance reminder. Also on the manual it says to replace it every 60K miles with only Honda ATF Z1 fluid. I google this topic and everyone says don't use anything but Honda stuff! I found the demos on youtube. It pretty much like I said. Yes, w/o the machine I have to fill it from the dip stick. In order to get 90%+ of the old fluid out, I have to repeat the whole thing 3 times. Just bought a case of the ATZ Z1. Judging from the complain online, I can save at least a couple bucks by doing myself. Besides I have to flush the brake, check the pads and change the oil too. I hate taking and bring the car back and forth from the shop. For the time I spend on driving back and forth, I could have done it myself.
    Gabriel