Thread: S2K 2005 Season event #1 - Mineral Wells, 2/19/05 - Comments

Default S2K 2005 Season event #1 - Mineral Wells, 2/19/05 - Comments

Wish I were racing

Shout out how your new susp. combo. or new tires went! Can't wait to hear results on how everybody did

Hope they had less rain than I've had up this way.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

We had a some sprinkles off and on during the day, and a light drizzle that started during the lunch break and continued through the first part of the afternoon runs. The rain wasn't bad, although it was pretty darn cold out there.

Still, apparently it wasn't enough to slow down the Miatas, as lugnutjon took overall FTD... in the wet afternoon runs.

General Default wasn't far behind him in 2nd place overall, and I think I came in third overall, unless Solo2M3 had a clean run in the 75s.

So that's Miatas either in the top three spots, or three of the top four. Not a bad start to the season.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

It was a pretty fun day overall. The rain wasnt too bad, and it wasnt TOO cold. Could have been alot worse for mid febuary. Was anyone taking pictures this time? I didnt see erik, but I thought someone might be. The first event is always fun, except with this board, I see you guys some over the winter, so there isnt too much catching up to do...

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

It was a fun event! (Except for the rain right after lunch and me DNF'ing all 4 morning runs ...don't ask!) It will take a few more events for me to get the feel of my '99, but I enjoyed my first event in it!
    Majik, 3Bean and myself worked a corner together and kept each other laughing most of the day!

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    Majik, 3Bean and myself worked a corner together and kept each other laughing most of the day!
    They stood around laughing while we did all the work in the slalom down the hill.

Cones chased:

Majik, 3Bean & Sammm . . . 0

Michele & onething . . . . . . 27

As for my results? Didn't stay for the official report, but a lot of cones and 1 DNF told me what I already knew - I need practice
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    "...lugnutjon took overall FTD...<snip>...General Default wasn't far behind him in 2nd place overall, and I think I came in third overall, unless Solo2M3 had a clean run..."
    OMG FTD to a Miata and 3 of the top 4 places! Dang, you guys are fast! Well done!!

Sorry I couldn't/didn't make it. Two things were against me:
    • 1) I have been out of town all week for the last two weeks, and it looks like I'll be doing the same amount of traveling for the next two weeks. I have to spend some time with my family, and
      2) I'm a and won't run in the rain

Sounds like you didn't get too much rain, so I'll have to only use excuse #1 from now on.
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

It was a fun event! (Except for the rain right after lunch and me DNF'ing all 4 morning runs ...don't ask!) It will take a few more events for me to get the feel of my '99, but I enjoyed my first event in it!
    Sammm,

Would it help if we rounded up some cones and a nice parking lot to practice on?

I know I could use the practice after I get my tires.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac
    Sammm,
    Would it help if we rounded up some cones and a nice parking lot to practice on?
    Thanks for the offer, but I doubt it would help. My DNF's were do to me missing an 'offset' gate coming out of a slalom and waiting until I finished my first 4 runs to ask what I was doing wrong.

Get some tires and come on out to the first event you can! You'll get much more helpful pointers (and ride-alongs) from the veteran AX'ers than I could ever give.

Quote Originally Posted by onething
    They stood around laughing while we did all the work in the slalom down the hill.

Cones chased:

This coming from the guy whispering sweet nothings into that poor girl's ears...

Don't deny it... we saw ya trying to steal smooches during the down time!!

She was cute, though! I'll give a for good taste, onething!!

Glad to hear the miatas did so well :) What did the S2K guys think about that :P

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    Quote Originally Posted by onething

Cones chased:

This coming from the guy whispering sweet nothings into that poor girl's ears...

Don't deny it... we saw ya trying to steal smooches during the down time!!

She was cute, though! I'll give a for good taste, onething!!

Cones werent the only thing onething was chasing!!!

Hehe, oh yeah, our radio wasnt working!

Quote Originally Posted by SPEEDRACER
    Glad to hear the miatas did so well :) What did the S2K guys think about that :P
    They have grown accustom to it.

Actually some of S2Ks best were MIA or not participating yesterday.

The POS got a sub 80 (79.836) in the dry, not so good in the wet. Now it looks like I need to get a couple of tires before Sunday.... Which really screws up my pre season tire plan!

As always the S2K folks put on a great event! I can't wait for the next one!

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    Cones werent the only thing onething was chasing!!!

Hehe, oh yeah, our radio wasnt working!
    I was there and saw onething and Michele(?) go off and to his defense, he didn't ask her to go (or temp her with candy)...

As for your radio not working, I think that was by design...

I think the best part of the day was when a certain corner worker said that 3-Bean's suspension fell off on course.
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Dave04
    I think the best part of the day was when a certain corner worker said that 3-Bean's suspension fell off on course.
    In Bean's defense, it was his tailpipe not any suspension bits. According to Bean it went something like this when he got back to grid. "Excuse me, but it seems part of your car was left on course."

Quote Originally Posted by Dave04
    In Bean's defense, it was his tailpipe not any suspension bits. According to Bean it went something like this when he got back to grid. "Excuse me, but it seems part of your car was left on course."
    I loved the look on the same guy's face later when someone found a misc. bracket, from years ago, on the course and he approached me asking, "Is this yours??"

Chassis Designer

Quote Originally Posted by SPEEDRACER
    Hey, congrats to John for the first FTD in a Miata since Andy H in his CSP car. He had some awesome runs in the rain. For the S2000 drivers, well, we'll just say there weren't any daring enough to bring out the R-compounds with the weather forecast. Maybe next time.

Nice showing guys...
    David Smart
    Mazda MX5 Club - STR 194

Yay!!! Saved by a cone!!!!

The green ones swept the Miata Street class! But I still got beaten by a girl in the overall war...

Heh... I also notice that our FNG beat 3bean and gabkwong... Must have been that instruction he got from Mr. Hollis! You really should get a pasenger seat, bean...
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    Must have been that instruction he got from Mr. Hollis!
    Thanks for reminding me... I should say Thanks to him for some very good instruction on my first two laps. It's really nice to have someone talking you through the course.
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    You really should get a pasenger seat, bean...
    Actually, I did go out there with a passenger seat... it also must have fallen out.