Thread: will it fit or what will

Chassis Designer

Default will it fit or what will

I am debating on over hauling the 1.8 in our 96 MX5 Miata and just putting another motor in
    If we do what I call a used short block install can you tell me what years will work with out a lot of modifying
    I could use my head and all outside parts such as w/p, fuel rail and all of the outside parts
    If we went with a long block and used everything from another car what years would work
    Would not mind modifying if health was not an issue but the least frustration I have the better off I am
    would appreciate any help or what to watch out for
    I did look in the garage in the will it fit section and did not see anything
    Thanks all

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

The engines in the '94-'97 Miata's were basically the same 1.8.

Chassis Designer

Default will it fit or what will

Thanks Sammm,
    I had seen a 99 and a 2000 wrecked and was wondering about them ,guess they changed after 97
    this does help when looking

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

The head on the '99-up is different. I think some are compatible, but don't know the details. Some guys have done that swap.

A 99-00 motor will fit with a little modification. Do a search on the pointy board for "99 head swap" and that is pretty much what you woud need to do. I did it on my 96 and it was pretty straight forward.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Haruki Murakami

A '99-00 motor swap into an NA should be as simple as a '99-00 head swap. Everything will work with your NA ECU and it will bolt straight up to the NA exhaust. We had a few issues with my head swap, but still got it done in a weekend. Some tips off the top of my head:

1) I reused my NA EGR valve and pipe. Had to do some mild grinding on the EGR to get it to clear the NB intake manifold. Then we had lots of fun bending the EGR pipe to fit.

2) You'll need to reuse your NA fuel pressure regulator and bolt it to the NB fuel rail. This makes the NB rail compatible with the NA's return system.

3) Get an RPM switch to control the VICS butterflies in the NB manifold. The switchover point should be around 5700 RPM.

4) Reuse your NA valve cover and CAS. The NB head has a removable block off plate behind the exhaust cam, but once that's off, the old CAS bolts right on and functions normally.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Doesn't the 99 head give you more power on the motor?
    M3 is always the answer.

It was a wash on mine, but I want to make a trip back to the dyno now that I've got the timing bumped to a reasonable level. I've been told anywhere between 10-20 whp, but I think that's probably BS. But it's a good swap if you want to make the car more boost-friendly and get rid of the pesky HLA racket.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

10-20whp on something that makes 100whp? Shenanigans

Chassis Designer

Let me say this may not be original motor ,when we got it the car had been well abused even the oil and temp gage wires were on wrong.It is possible that this head may be newer . It has not been modified or does not look like it has.
    The one thing we never get is the HLA racket that some mention
    the info being shared here is really appreciated the less stress and problems I have doing this repair the better off the wife and I will be.
    ITS hell getting old and worn out lol