Thread: OIL FILTERS

Default OIL FILTERS

What is the best aftermarket Oil filter to use? Or should I just get them from the Stealership?

I use OEM, from Trussville. I usually order 5 or 6 once a year along with other misc. parts.

I wise man once said -

Quote Originally Posted by Altiain
    Umm... unless you're running a 50-gallon-sized oil filter, a typically oversized filter ain't going to cause low oil pressure problems.

However, an oversized oil filter can provide some useful benefits over a stock-sized filter, especially one as dinky as the OEM Miata one. For a car that gets autocrossed, time trialed, or tracked often, I'd definitely recommend a larger filter. Here's a short list of some of the benefits:

1) Larger oil capacity.

2) Better oil cooling due to the larger can surface area.

3) More filter medium, resulting in less oil flow restriction and longer serviceable life.

4) Longer engine oil usage.

Now #4 ain't that important (you do change your oil regularly, don'tcha?), but #1-3 can be important, especially for long autox courses, time trialing, or open track, where the car sees extended high rpm usage. High rpms mean high oil pressure. The higher the oil pressure, the more likely it is that the filter bypass valve opens, in which case the oil is completely unfiltered. Oiling systems have filters for a reason.

Using a larger filter means more filter medium for the oil to pass through, which mean less restriction and less pressure buildup on the "dirty" side of the filter, which means you have a higher likelihood of continued filtration during extended high rpm operation.

Slightly improved oil cooling at the filter and more oil capactiy are both secondary benefits of a larger filter, as both will allow lower oil temperatures during extended high rpm running.

Last, I firmly believe anyone who does autox/time trial/open track owes it to themselves to use full synthetic oil, as it - like the commercials say - better withstands viscosity breakdown at high temperatures.

I typically use Mobil 1 0w40 in my car, along with Mobil 1 filters. I think the OEM Miata size is M1-110, but I use '97-'03 Honda Prelude-sized filters (M1-104 in the Mobil 1 range), as they fit the Miata and are about 1.5 times the size of the OEM filters.

I use the M1-104 and have never had any problems...

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I have always used OEM on the Miata. I have seen threads on the board that recommended WIX or Purolator IIRC.

Chassis Designer

i use the stock size k&n filter...i've had good results from using it in my car and my otm (360 mopar v. they work pretty well and you can get them from advanced auto or various online places (most of which will deliver the next day).
    See profile for more details: 14.56 @ 94.89 on 50 shot. 2.18- 60', 9.40 @ 75.52- 1/8.

I use a M1-110. Long and slender with no problem fitting in a 2003.
    I live where even the coyotes won't go...

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    I use OEM, from Trussville. I usually order 5 or 6 once a year along with other misc. parts.
    Ditto
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

I used to use Mazda filters. Supposedly they changed the design, making them inferior to what they used to be.

I've used WIX filters and Purolators as well. Seem to work well.

For ease and price I've been using the Purolators since I stocked up when PepBoys had them on sale for 2 for $5.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

i use nippon
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C
    99 Disco, the go anywhere ride

I'm another OEM filter guy.

OEM for me... Annual replenishment of plugs and oil filters from Mazdaspeed...
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

I use a smaller size fram, to save weight.

(Just kidding, I ordered six from an online dealer somewhere. I think I might try Altiain's suggestion when I run out though.