Thread: upper control arm contacting sway bar, no fun

Default upper control arm contacting sway bar, no fun

So Ive been getting this clicking/clunking sound comming from the front. Mostly from the drivers wheel well, but sometimes from both. I thought it was from the shock mounts but after looking over my FCM mounts that are only a month old, I didnt see anything loose. I did notice that my sway bar is right up on my upper control arm. Like couldnt get a playing car through the gap but not touching. Are my bushings that clapped or should I run adjustable links real short. The car is lowered but Im not sure of my numbers right now.

Check your sway bar end links.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

The end links I have in there were replaced with the mounts. They are Energy poly. I only wish it was as easy as that. Ill try to take some pictures this weekend.

Is the car on the ground when the sway bar and the upper a-arm are touching?

I also had this problem and had to pick-up shorter links. Suddenly the car turns properly at mid corner.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

In addition to getting shorter links to fix your main issue, you need to cut down the bushings to prevent a future problem. I can see the squish in the photo you posted. Uncut bushings cause a LOT of drag. Enough to break the welded base of the mounts.

I've found that a belt sander with coarse paper works well for taking the bushings down to the correct height. I don't know why all of the aftermarket bars have bushing that are way too tall.

By "check the end links," I was referring to making sure they are tight. A slightly-loose endlink will click/clunk. Sounds like the bushings are the more obvious culprit.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Is the car on the ground when the sway bar and the upper a-arm are touching?

Yes, the car is on the ground when the touching happens.

Since Im not looking to add preload and have just bought new bushings, Ill just remove a section from the links and weld them back.
    Thanks for the replies, good ideas, and yalls time. Keep'em comming.