Thread: Tire mount/dismount/flip rates?

Default Tire mount/dismount/flip rates?

What is the going rate for getting tires flipped, or swapping new-for-old on rims without balancing?

I used to get this done at my local DT and they generally charged me $5 a tire if I was willing to leave it with them, since I didnt' need balancing and I buy 2-4 sets of tires a year from them. Now they are wanting $48. That translates to over $100/hour labor rate, with no parts costs.

Are my expectations unrealistic, or should I be taking my business elsewhere?
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Yeah discount tires mount and balance rates have gotten pretty ridiculous. Last time I went with the Z06 they wanted $125 to mount and balance 4 tires. You might try walmart instead. They usually charge $5 to mount/dismount and $5 to balance.

Or you can just buy a manual mounter, $150 one time and then never pay for mounting again! It's a bit of a workout, but you save a lot of money and time. Here is a great video that shows what is involved:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3mPYtnl6Pg

i have been frequenting the local Hispanic destinations on NW hwy and have my favorite shop now that is in the $5 price range and typically does it while you wait.. hell its almost worth it for the people watching.. Not sure about desoto, but there has to be a pocket of similar shops..
    95 r white

Try to find an independant small tire shop in your area and see if you can work a deal. I use a place in Hurst that charges $10 to mount and balance. Some might find it a little cheaper, but the guy knows me and gives me good service. If he has to dispose of tires, then there is a small fee, but much better than what Discount charges.

I bet you $20 you can't mount a new 30 35 profile R-comp tire. And get the bead to seat without flames.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M0GNLvPmAg
    Last edited by general default; 05-06-2011 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by general default View Post
    I bet you $20 you can't mount a new 30 35 profile R-comp tire. And get the bead to seat without flames.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M0GNLvPmAg
    Shucks that's easy peazy...I can mount those blind folded using my small male utensils

Quote Originally Posted by NC Eunos View Post
    ...using my small male utensils
    Hey you said it!
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

my Discount Tire charges by rim diameter

15" is $3 off and $3 on without balancing, or $24 for Miata stuff
    2009 MX-5 STR and track toy
    2003 Z06 -- Not a Miata, but 3200# and 400 RWHP is fun
    OTM -- 2012 Sierra, 2016 Impala (Appliances)

Driver

Yea I paid 45 to pull off my star specs and mount my new rs3s at a little tire shop....balanced too

I paid $30 today to dismount a set of tires and put a set of R compouinds on some 14" OEM rims.

I went to jrj512's place in Hurst.
    Last edited by POS Racing; 05-09-2011 at 11:22 AM.

I pay 15 a tire to mount/balance 17" tires at a hole in the wall place in old downtown Frisco 2 minutes away from my house. They can do a set of 4 in about 15 minutes total, no wait, no hassle. I think anything in the $40 to $60 range for a set is more than fair.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

pos- where is jrj's place?
    Polished Turd Racing

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    pos- where is jrj's place?
    I'm not at liberty to say.....

All I can tell you is it is in Hurst, Texas at 500 W. Pipeline Road (76053) and it is called A&T Tire Co.

lol! thx
    Polished Turd Racing

Driver

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    I'm not at liberty to say.....

All I can tell you is it is in Hurst, Texas at 500 W. Pipeline Road (76053) and it is called A&T Tire Co.
    Lol

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    I pay 15 a tire to mount/balance 17" tires at a hole in the wall place in old downtown Frisco 2 minutes away from my house. They can do a set of 4 in about 15 minutes total, no wait, no hassle. I think anything in the $40 to $60 range for a set is more than fair.
    What place is this? I have a set of wheels and tires that need a mount/balance.