Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FM Springs vs. RB Race Springs

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Blaze
    I had the same question, it says you dont need the bumpstops on a NB cuase the factory left an extra inch of travel...is this true if I go with the FM springs on my 99?
    You need the bump stops, you dont need to CUT them. But like TC said there is no riding on the bump stops with these springs.
    You'd be suprised just how much time a stock NB spends riding "on" the bumpstops... let alone a lowered one.

Don't forget that Mazda designed the suspension of the NA & NB to incorporate the bumpstops as a poor man's rising rate helper spring. What you guys are referring to as "riding on the bumpstops" would be more accurately described as "fully compressing the bumpstops and bottoming out all available suspension travel".

We now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion.

Yeah yeah, thanks. That is too much to type out everytime. Basically you dont break your back everytime the car hits a bump.

I know the discussion is over FM and RB, but I have a set of Eibachs that I just took off of Sunny. They're great at the Ranch, but too stiff for the 'ole bumpy country roads that we have to drive every day offer?
    Merv
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Just an FYI: There are 2 sets of FMs, 2 sets of Eibachs, and a set of RB Streets on the Miata.net classifieds.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv
    I know the discussion is over FM and RB, but I have a set of Eibachs that I just took off of Sunny. They're great at the Ranch, but too stiff for the 'ole bumpy country roads that we have to drive every day offer?
    Merv
    Are you gonna make me drive all the way out there again!??

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    Merv
    I won't make you do anything.....or......you could walk At least you know where I am!
    Merv
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    Merv
    I won't make you do anything.....or......you could walk At least you know where I am!
    Merv
    Sweet! PM sent!

I think there is a misunderstanding, what I meant to say and was trying to say is that the FM springs site says that the NB does not need an aftermarket upgrade from the OEM equipment (bumpstops) to handle the FM springs without bottoming out since the factory left an extra inch of suspention travel in the NB's.
    I was thinking of the FM stage 1 setup.
    adding sways later since from what I have read I will most likely need to get stonger sway bar clips and end link bushings since I will be lowering the car by putting on the FM kit.

p.s.
    Hope nobody else is sick, I just am getting over the FLU and let me tell you it aint no fun. and Texas, OK , LA, and Ark. have 3/4ths of the nations Flu cases right now....so stay away from anyone who even looks sick. the flu shots arent helping by the way its a new stain.

I think there is a misunderstanding, what I meant to say and was trying to say is that the FM springs site says that the NB does not need an aftermarket upgrade from the OEM equipment (bumpstops) to handle the FM springs without bottoming out ...
    Like I said... Majik and I agree. I think I'm on the bumpstops less now than I was with the stock (overly soft) springs.

If you're over my way, give me a buzz and you can take a ride in my car. Mine's an '02, but the suspension bits are the same in both cars.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Kewl, so you didn't upgrade your OEM bumpstops?
    If I wanted to do so for added assurance where could I get a set since they are not avalable through FM for 99's.
    I had planned on getting a new set of the OEM's even if I didn't upgrade just so I dont have to go in and do it later, in the near future.

Kewl, so you didn't upgrade your OEM bumpstops?
    If I wanted to do so for added assurance where could I get a set since they are not avalable through FM for 99's.
    I had planned on getting a new set of the OEM's even if I didn't upgrade just so I dont have to go in and do it later, in the near future.
    You dont need to "upgrade" bump stops. Especially on M2s. They arent really a wear item, so I wouldnt say they would add assurance. Any mazda dealer would have them though. Check miata.net for some of the cheaper dealers in the nation. I would recommend against it though.

P.S. "Upgrading" the bumpstops on a 90-97 usually involves just cutting some of the bump stop off.

ok thanks, sometimes its a bit hard to understand what is being said here.
    so forgive my ignorance. I just didnt want to cause another problem by making my suspension tighter and lower.

I understand it can be a bit confusing.

I found this web page actually it was the first hit from a google search of "cut the bump stops" keep in mind this is NOT for a 99, but it will give you an idea what they do and why. The reason we dont have to cut them is because of the extra travel mazda built in on 99+ cars.

Thanks Majik, I have a better understanding of it all now.
    I assume I will still need the end link bushiings though and stronger endclips for the sway bars if I lower the car with the FM springs, since I do tend to drive aggressive at times.
    I have heard that the end link bushings help keep the bars flatter? and the end clips need to be stronger with more horsepower to keep from shearing them in half.
    Its a lot to absorb, I have done a lot of reading to try and figure first what I want to do with my car and what I want out of it.
    I have a pretty solid plan of action now, even though I most likely will never Auto X it, I will most likely drive it that way on the street and also open track it at some time.

I dont know about that stuff, I dont have aftermarket sways, but I bet altiain and some of the others do.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12