Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PCA at Mineral Wells, June 12, 2011

Suspension Modder

Default PCA at Mineral Wells, June 12, 2011

I can't make the Street Tire challenge this weekend... anyone else going out to Der Mineralischring for the Porsche Club event on the 12th?

I will not be able to make it or the Time Trial the day before. If you have not attended one of their time trails, then you might want to give it a try. They are a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    They are a lot of fun.
    Except when a supercharged miata motor lets go

How long do they usually last? A time trial that is
    SOLD: 91 Mazda Miata "Grand Sport" - FM V-Maxx coilovers, FM sways, Hard Dog roll bar, stock 1.6L running strong, 15" Star Specs, 96 Grand Sport paint
    - 85 GMC S15 Jimmy "the Tyclone" - LT1 350ci V8, AWD, Typhoon interior, 18" C5 wheels, 96 Grand Sport paint

Quote Originally Posted by GregW View Post
    Depends on the turnout but they are usually done by 4pm.

Quote Originally Posted by GregW View Post
    Depends on how fast you drive

WRX74 is correct...the Mav Time Trials are generally done by 4pm unless they have timing problems, rain delays, or a massive turn-out. Hope to see you there!

I'll be there with my "just got running again last week-end" Miata. Running my first event in a very long time without boost. I have special sticky bottom shoes so I can stick my left foot out the door and help me accelerate (Fred Flintstone style) out of the corners.

Kidding aside, I'm kinda looking forward to concentrating on maximizing the speed through the corners again...like a true Miata driver. I will have to learn new downshft points since the SC allowed me to pull really well as low as 3K rpm.

Anyone reading this that knows about the VICS on a 99 Miata please see my question I'll be posting right after this in the tech and chat section.

Bummer that Jerret won't be there. Slowchild...will you be there in an alternate vehicle??? Like to see it run crappy tires and all.

Maniac Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by Maniac Mitch View Post
    Slowchild...will you be there in an alternate vehicle??? Like to see it run crappy tires and all.

Maniac Mitch
    I will be there in something. I might bring Elise just to see lap times, but miata should be running again in next day or so.

Interesting that the TT event on Club Registration is not showing up. Anyone else having that issue? I am trying to free up and make it.

hmmm...haven't tried to register yet...usually wait until Thursday so I'll know better how the weather is going to be. I'll try it and notify Travis if it doesn't work for me either.

BTW, hope you can have the SS out there!!

Maniac Mitch

I found the TT event is not showing up either. The AX on Sunday is showing up. I emailed Travis (the event chair) at the PCA address and his personal email. Hopefully he'll get it fixed soon. If he tells me anything I'll pass it on.

Maniac Mitch

Still waiting on results from the LAST TT/autox!
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    LOL you might be waiting a while. I never saw the results from the autocrosos I did with PCA from 2 years ago.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    I think they didn't post it cause you won!

I smell a boycott coming!
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

The TT event is now open for registration. The registrar thought it was already online. I've registrated successfully. Hope to see you guys there.

OZMDD and others concerned about the posting of times....
    I've already mentioned it and found there is a lack of volunteers to take care of getting it on the website. IF you find it unacceptable that the times are not posted, YOU can help us all out by getting on the MAV website and going to the contacts section and clicking on the TT chairperson (Travis), and emailing him that YOU will do the leg-work (or finger-work) to get it posted. If you don't have the technical skills (I don't), then find someone who can. I'm not going to mention it to Travis anymore. He is a volunteer...they are all volunteers and I'm happy just to get the seat time at the events and to get to mingle with like-minded car people like yourself and others at the events. Remember before you say "it's not the Miata club" that the group that does TT and AX welcomes anyone...they are absolutely NOT Porsche-centric...so they welcome help from anyone interested in making the events happen for the benefit of all cars/drivers. They want us there to get enough cars to make the events happen and to have the diversity of cars...even if Slowchild was setting TTOD. Help make it happen to your satisfaction by volunteering to post the times.

You'll have to excuse me...I'm an old man and tend to get this way from time to time (okay...maybe most of the time). Dad mode /off

Maniac Mitch

I have attended a few autocross events... SCCA, ER, & NTAXS. I know what to expect and what they are. Can someone please tell me what a TT is like? Kinda a day in the life of.

Thanks
    SOLD: 91 Mazda Miata "Grand Sport" - FM V-Maxx coilovers, FM sways, Hard Dog roll bar, stock 1.6L running strong, 15" Star Specs, 96 Grand Sport paint
    - 85 GMC S15 Jimmy "the Tyclone" - LT1 350ci V8, AWD, Typhoon interior, 18" C5 wheels, 96 Grand Sport paint

Essentially, they will lay out the following course on a 55 acre tarmac that was originally designed to instruct masses of helicopter pilots. There is no fender-to-fender racing, so you do not need to worry about hitting another car. They instead go by lap times.

When driving this course, you are in third and fourth gears and hitting about 85 MPH entering turn three, but turn five is my fav.

How it works is everyone gets 30 minutes in the morning to drive the course as much as they want at about half speed. This gives you a chance to get to know the course and the line you should take in the corners. You can have an instructor on this. The basics are pretty simple, really.

When the timed runs start, half of the participants will go work the course (picking up any cones, calling in penalties, and so on) while the other half makes their timed runs. You will get a warm-up lap followed by three hot laps that are timed. Then you do another set after a short cool-off.

They will swap course workers and drivers, let them make their runs, and then you go to lunch. After lunch, you will do it all again. So, you will get 10-12 timed laps by the end of the day.

Greg,
    Jerret did an excellent write up. All I can add is to declare you are a novice when you check in onsite with the registrar and ask for an instructor. The instructor can drive/ride with you in the parade laps. He can even ride with you for some or all your timed runs. Just ask...everyone wants you to have a good time and realize it's hard when you don't know what to do. You will be working a corner while the other run group runs...being declared a novice gets you an experienced corner co-worker.

BTW, course 1 is the fastest, but also the easiest...the middle section is the only tricky part IMHO. TT events are really just fast AX events where you get to run multiple laps without stopping. I'm in a red 95 with a hardtop. I'll be setting up the course early in the morning. Look for me and I'll help in any way I can. I'm terrible with names...so remind me when you see me.

Maniac Mitch

I dont have time to search all over, does anyone have a registration link?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast