Thread: Oil Sludge....

Default Oil Sludge....

My OTM, MSV, whatever, is a 1993 Nissan pickup that I got from my bro for very little $$$. I guess you get what you pay for but my bro isn't the best when it comes to taking care of automobiles.

Looking in the oil filler hole when changing the oil, I noticed lots of dark oil and a dark golden film as opposed to a nice clean and well taken care of motor.

Is there a way to clean the inside out without a rebuild? I know there are motor flushes out there but what really works?

Also, the motor is dirty and oil and crude soaked. I bought some engine cleaner and took it to a power wash place but was only able to get the upper part of the engine bay cleaned. It probably has an oil leak or two or five but I can't fix it if I can't see it!

Besides, I HATE working on dirty engines. I changed the oil and got filthy! Yuck!

It's just a beater truck with a 160k on the ticker but I'd still like to keep it running as cheaply and long as possible.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Right before you do the next oil change, add some ATF and drive it like that for the last couple hundred miles. It will probably be down a quart anyway, right? :) ATF has a very strong detergent package. It's viscosity would be similar to a 5W20, IIRC, so I wouldn't work it very hard like that.

Default Re: Oil Sludge....

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster
    It probably has an oil leak or two or five but I can't fix it if I can't see it!
    I found this fix for oil leaks a few weeks ago, you may want to try it. Fixed my wifes Rover just fine. Go to the technical corner and follow link.

http://www.chicagolandroverclub.com/
    Hmm what is decent? Are we talking about your decent or my decent? I'm just curious because I don't want to offend anyone else's decent...