Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Titus's Garage - Supercharger

OK... the board says that the kit comes with a 160* thermostat, but most people say don't use it, there is really no need. They seem to think it is left over from the early Miata tuner days when a bad rumor went around that a 160* thermostat would improve performance. I will stick with my OEM one.

I haven't found much on the TPS wire, but I did find an interesting quote on overboost.com's review of a Jackson Racing SC install:

Before driving, you’ll need to set the stock timing from 10 degrees BTDC to 6 degrees BTDC. As you can see from the display on our timing light, Lisa set the base timing on her Miata to 35 degrees BTDC for maximum power.

Yea, you will definately need to reduce the timing, especially if you don't have a Bipes or MSD timing puller. Otherwise when you get into boost you will get the dreaded Pinging and kaboom!

Look into getting a timing puller. They pull timing as your boost increases. This enables you to keep timing for more low-end torque. MSD will pull up to 6deg at 8psi, and is not adjustable. However, the Bipes unit is programmable and has the capability of pulling far more timing and is a much better unit. I'd upgrade from the MSD that is on my Silver car if I were too keep it.
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboDuane
    Yea, you will definately need to reduce the timing, especially if you don't have a Bipes or MSD timing puller.
    I picked up a used MSD for $40 that I will be using for the first month or so, but Gary seems to think that i won't need to pull any timing once I get the intercooler on.

AFPR is in, and the pulley assembly is in. I test fitted the Supercharger and it looks good. There is really not much left to do, as alot of the pieces of the kit were already together. Right now I just need to find more time, as we have company through Thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    Right now I just need to find more time, as we have company through Thursday.
    Can the company hand tools to ya. I'm sure that they could at least hold a cold beverage
    Hmm what is decent? Are we talking about your decent or my decent? I'm just curious because I don't want to offend anyone else's decent...

I wish! The big problem is that I have a 2 year old and Company includes a 5 year old. If the men spend too much time in the garage, we get grief for sticking the ladies with the kids. ( Darn equal rights. ) We found last night that we could get away for short 20-30 minute bursts without them noticing we were gone. That is how the AFPR got in.

I picked up a used MSD for $40 that I will be using for the first month or so, but Gary seems to think that I won't need to pull any timing once I get the intercooler on.
    Did you find any instructions on the MSD?

I agree with Gary, with a MSD and an inner cooler you should be able to push 8psi with 8-10deg of timing. On my Silver I have to turn the timing to 8deg at 8psi or I get pinging in the summer.
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboDuane
    I picked up a used MSD for $40 that I will be using for the first month or so, but Gary seems to think that I won't need to pull any timing once I get the intercooler on.
    Did you find any instructions on the MSD?

I agree with Gary, with a MSD and an inner cooler you should be able to push 8psi with 8-10deg of timing. On my Silver I have to turn the timing to 8deg at 8psi or I get pinging in the summer.
    I found a picture of the wiring that I saved. Post or PM me your email address and I will send it to you.

Supercharger is in, TB is in, trottle cable is hooked up, AFM is in.

What’s left? Air Filter, misc vacuum tubes, the TPS wire extension or re-route, belt, crossover tube, timing, tuning, driving.

What’s left? Air Filter, misc vacuum tubes, the TPS wire extension or re-route, belt, crossover tube, timing, tuning, driving.
    Getting Closer I've got a digital video that you can borrow to take an AVI with and host it if you like. Let the tire smoke begin!!! Do you have a LSD in that thing?
    Hmm what is decent? Are we talking about your decent or my decent? I'm just curious because I don't want to offend anyone else's decent...

Quote Originally Posted by Ataim

Getting Closer I've got a digital video that you can borrow to take an AVI with and host it if you like. Let the tire smoke begin!!! Do you have a LSD in that thing?
    Its the 1.6 LSD. Don't think it will help me much.

I still disagree with that..... Unless that thing has really worn out, it will help A LOT!
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie
    I still disagree with that..... Unless that thing has really worn out, it will help A LOT!
    It just doesn't seem to dig in like it did when I first got the car (60k miles ago).

IT'S ALIVE!!!!!!

The Car is running (In the garage) and the idle is set ok for now. Off to get a timing light so I can get the timing set before getting it out on the road.

I'M BOOSTED!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Treibenschnell
    If you're still at home give me a call... I'll bring my timing light right on over.
    Thanks... I would say bring it on over, but my daughter is getting ready to go down for a nap... I don't want to wake her with car work again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12