Thread: Miata bogs down and dies.... Had to be towed home. HELP!

Default Miata bogs down and dies.... Had to be towed home. HELP!

I have a 2002 miata SE with about 70k on it. My sister was driving it around when i got a call saying it was acting funny. Once i showed up it, upon further examination, it would start up, but when the gas pedal was applied, it started to bog down and would completely die. My first thought was MAF. Can any one else give me any input?

I messed with the car for a while, ended up revving it pretty high, and babying the clutch to get it onto the trailer. I towed it home, and it has not reproduced the same problem in the driveway. I also drove it around the block a few times with no problems at all. The inconsistency leads me to believe that something (possibly the MAF) is on its way out. Any input would be GREATLY appreciated.

Sounds like what my wife's 2002 Miata did. On her's car it was the cam position sensor.

Did the car kick the Check Engine Light??

No engine lights are being thrown

On ours the code was P0340 Cam position sensor is the code it kick and on the wife's car it only acted up when it was hot. If you let it sit and cool off it ran great.

So you would lean more toward the cam pos sensor than Maf?

Because it ran fine after it cooled down...

I'd sell the car and get something more reliable.

Our car kicked a Check Engine Light and that lead me to the solution your millage may vary.

If you have an Autozone near you they will read codes for free.

And yes ours ran fine until it got to operating temperature then it just did not want to stay running.

FYI This is the part that fixed ours - http://www.finishlineperformance.com...cat=322&page=2

It is on the right rear of the top of the cam cover on 2001+ cars. Less than 5 minute to change out 1 bolt one connector.

Driver

Mine (2000) would die in traffic when it got hot. If you let it cool it would start right back up. Changed the CPS and all was good. No codes one time it did it, codes another time (but that time I'd tried to start it like 100 times).

I never had it where it would run, stumble and then die though.

Chassis Designer

My '03 also ran perfectly when it was cold, but would stutter a few times, then just die when it got hot. It would start, and run normally again after it had cooled off a little. A cam position sensor fixed it.

Jim

Y'know...

I think it might be the Cam Position Sensor.

...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

sounds like im getting a cam position sensor then, lol. Ill update you guys on the progress once the part comes in. any other ideas, please feel free to let me know!

Common, I have changed 2 already this month.

Even if the MIL isn't on, it can be worthwhile to stop by Autozone since most ODBII cars can have codes in "pending" that don't light the dash up...
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

i replaced the cam position sensor, the car ran good for a few days, now my sister is on a trip to austin in it, and its stalling all over the place again. what else could the issue be? its doing the same thing, runs fine while cool, then starts to act up when its warm. By "act up" i mean it boggs down and dies!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

^Depending where you are you might want to contact Stevan at www.miatasolutions.com , or Gary at www.trackdogracing.com

You need to see if you are throwing any codes. Go to an AutoZone and have them check. It could also be Crank Angle Sensor, Coil, vacuum leak. It's a shot in the dark unless we can get codes or look at the car.

William @ Track Dog Racing
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

I'd get the codes read
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Fuel filter could be plugged.....