Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FM RoadTrip 2011, out of DFW?

Driver

Default FM RoadTrip 2011, out of DFW?

I'm headed out to the FM open house again this year... last year was TOOOO much fun... the roads of Colorado are amazing!!!

anyway, i was wondering if anybody else was planning on going...

... I have a nice and curvy route planned-out, to and from... about 5000 miles of pure miata bliss(I am no dictator... the route can change)

I am a camper...re:I run cheap...with beautiful scenery...i think it's the best way to see and experience such a great state as Colorado... you can camp with, or, do whatever...i really just like a line of two or three Miata running the mountain passes

let me know what you think...
    JDSM, creating innovative products and ideas to increase your Miata's performance since 2014. GO ZOOM ZOOM!

I have never taken my Miata to the mountains. How does a naturally aspirated Miata going UP the mountains? We barely have hills in Texas.
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD
    2006 Red NC - GT with limited slip, HIDs, all OEM.

Ever heard of the Hill Country? :) this trip sounds fun. How long was the trip supposed to take?

Quote Originally Posted by motorollow View Post
    How does a naturally aspirated Miata going UP the mountains?
    Lots of optimism and downshifting. Might I suggest some light reading?
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Chassis Designer

Nice one TrickyRix. I would like to go. When is it and what's your plan? Can you send me a copy of the route?

5000 miles?!?! It's less than 1000 each way if you take the most direct route. Do you plan to go via San Diego?

Driver

...well, OK, maybe not quite 5000 but last year I did 3500 and LOVED IT!...therefore, my trip maybe more of a "destination is secondary" type of situation.

...uh... just thought of something... some of those miles are day trips and canyon blasts, etc...but yes, the to and fro trip will be fun too.
    JDSM, creating innovative products and ideas to increase your Miata's performance since 2014. GO ZOOM ZOOM!

Driver

Quote Originally Posted by tinman831 View Post
    Ever heard of the Hill Country? :) this trip sounds fun. How long was the trip supposed to take?
    I'm taking two weeks off work... but the trip will be about 10 days... for me at least, you may choose to run up, or down... i don't expect people to follow me the whole way.

Prefers his T-Bones Deboned... jeff_man's Avatar

I just drove the million dollar road both ways in a e350 cargo van, going back very soon to try and kill my self in a miata.

Some of those mountain passes on the way to FM can be interesting for their scenery, curves, and wild climate changes. We had snow on our way back a couple of years back.

Yes, a stock Miata can take those hills without any issue at all. Just be wary of boiling and sloshing fluids (ask me about my gurgling shocks sometime).
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

Driver

This trip is gonna ROCK! got my car tuned and dressed.... gonna tear it up!!!!

I'd like to do this, but that's a long drive. Don't they rent-out Pueblo for racing?
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

Date? I'm not a huge internetter, so this is the only site I see it mentioned. Wifey and I want to do a trip to Colorado just for the roads -I'm much more of "the route" than "the destination" person- so a caravan at least one of the ways would be cool.

http://www.flyinmiata.com/us/events.php Aug 4-7 2011

Pueblo is on the other side of the state. They rent out a go-cart track somewhere near Grand Junction.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Thanks. That's actually about the time-frame we were thinking too. Sweet.

It's waaay easy to plan a great trip there and back. Santa Fe, Million Dollar Highway, etc. I made a trip there once and incorporated three separate mountain passes on the way there, two on the way back. There are also a few "organized" drives as part of the weekend and there's a fantastic car museum one canyon/one hour away from FM. Pretty hard to go wrong if you enjoy cars, driving, and scenery.

Driver

Default semi-final dates.

"Good news everybody"* my new job is ok with my ideas of the 2nd to the 10th (of August) for my run up to FM!!!

I'm GO FOR LAUNCH!

*name the TV show(quote)

Driver

Quote Originally Posted by jdcanadian View Post
    This trip is gonna ROCK! got my car tuned and dressed.... gonna tear it up!!!!
    ok... i lied... i still need brakes(but those are on the workbench...)

Driver

ok!... Jesus (jrlara on miata.net) and i are pairing up again this year for the run up!... i've got the camping aranged, thanks to Nicki and Brad Girard of the FM volunteer briggade who have donated the use of their back-yard for camping.

Also, the dates have changed, now July30th to August 8 or 9

Driver

we leave Mckinney in the morning, around 10am... anybody for a lil' run in the morning to send us off? maybe 455 or somethin'.... there's also a little car show in the "la madelain's" (?) parking lot at the NW corner of 75 and Eldorado... we could start there, i live around the corner....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast