Thread: ALL RIGHT Rally - July 9

Default ALL RIGHT Rally - July 9

20 cars started the DFW Map Rally, held on May 21, and 20 finished. They all reported having a good time. Cars entered included Kia, BMW, Mini, S2000, Mustang, SAAB, Subaru, Lexus, Jaguar, Mazda, Volvo....

Our next road rally will be held on July 9th. It will take its theme from FedEx, who has discovered that delivery routes defined with no left turns are safer and quicker than other routes. Always wanting to be on the forefront of auto safety, we have defined a scenic rally route from Plano to Princeton with no instructed left turns. We have also devised some tests that you can try along the route to keep from getting bored.

The ALL RIGHT Rally starts at Subaru of Plano, 4480 West Plano Pkwy, Plano, Texas 75093. For more details, please see the flier at http://texasscca.org/RallyNews.aspx .

This is event #2 in the 2011 SCCA Road Rally Championship Series. There's still time to make points!

Preregistration is open at www.tinyurl.com/ARR11msr .

Join us!

Quote Originally Posted by sccarally View Post
    It will take its theme from FedEx, who has discovered that delivery routes defined with no left turns are safer and quicker than other routes.
    As a FedEx employee I can tell you FedEx has no such policy. They do constantly monitor and try to optimize routes but more often use more fuel efficient vehicles on longer routes and such.

UPS on the other hand does strive to minimize left turns on their route as stated here.
    Not so long ago, UPS drivers worked off maps, 3-x-5 note cards, and their own memory to figure out the best way to run their routes. That changed in 2005 when UPS began to implement a $600 million route optimization system--think MapQuest on steroids--that each evening maps out the next day's schedule for the majority of its 56,000 drivers. So sophisticated is the software that it designs each route to minimize the number of left turns, thus reducing the time and gas that drivers waste idling at stoplights.
    Mythbusters did test this out and determined it was more fuel efficient but took longer. Theoretically is is also safer as more accidents occur when turning left vs. turning right.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    As a FedEx employee I can tell you FedEx has no such policy. They do constantly monitor and try to optimize routes but more often use more fuel efficient vehicles on longer routes and such.
    UPS on the other hand does strive to minimize left turns on their route as stated .
    Mythbusters did test this out and determined it was more fuel efficient but took longer. Theoretically is is also safer as more accidents occur when turning left vs. turning right.
    Thanks for setting me straight. It's a good story, no matter who did it. My rally route is longer than it would have been, that's for sure. We always strive for a safe route, and if this makes it even more safe, that's a bonus. If I have time I'll change all my posts from FedEx to UPS...although I'll bet FedEx didn't mind the free publicity!

The kid and I are defiantly going to try and make this event!

Im gonna try and come with one of my kiddos or if I can talk her in to it, maybe my wife!
    SOLD: 91 Mazda Miata "Grand Sport" - FM V-Maxx coilovers, FM sways, Hard Dog roll bar, stock 1.6L running strong, 15" Star Specs, 96 Grand Sport paint
    - 85 GMC S15 Jimmy "the Tyclone" - LT1 350ci V8, AWD, Typhoon interior, 18" C5 wheels, 96 Grand Sport paint

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    The kid and I are defiantly going to try and make this event!
    Do you know about our requirement for a Minor's Release to be signed in order to run the event? It's no big deal, just when you enter at tinyurl.com/ARR11msr , be sure to choose 'yes' when asked if your navigator is a minor. Then we will email you the form.

We already have one Mazda entered in the rally, and another claiming he is going to come. Just one more of you, and you can form a team to defend the Team Award that Mazda won at our last rally.

Quote Originally Posted by sccarally View Post
    Do you know about our requirement for a Minor's Release to be signed in order to run the event? It's no big deal, just when you enter at tinyurl.com/ARR11msr , be sure to choose 'yes' when asked if your navigator is a minor. Then we will email you the form.
    Yep we ran several events with you last season and have played SCCA for quite a while we are familiar with the MINOR RELEASE AND WAIVER OF LIABILITY AND INDEMNITY AGREEMENT form.

Wished your event was not on the same weekend as the SCCA Autocross but we still may try to make it!

Count me in! The wifey wants to navigate so we're in...count another Mazda!
    Nothing like the whine of a SC at full throttle!

Quote Originally Posted by titanescape View Post
    Count me in! The wifey wants to navigate so we're in...count another Mazda!
    OK. Just go to tinyurl.com/ARR11msr to preregister and save $5. When you do so, we will also send you the General Instructions, which you can study before Saturday, and get a little edge on the people who register at the event.

Well guys how did the Rally go???