Thread: June 11/12 NASA Race at Hallett

Default June 11/12 NASA Race at Hallett

Is anyone going? This should be the best racing of the year next to nationals. It's a TX/Rocky Mountain race so expect to see a ton of AI, ton of SM, ton of GT, and probably the best racing all year. Last year's AI race was the best race I've ever seen. It's also one of the few tracks/configurations I've run before so hopefully I'll get to wear pants instead of a skirt after this race.

Is anyone going?
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

Of course I am little panda.

M3 is always the answer.

I'm registered, and I have stupid rookie questions for TT. How picky are the inspectors about numbers and class designations? Class letters are 4" tall, are they still 1.5" stroke?
    I've added up my base points for the miata, but i'm not sure about a few things. Does power steering add points to my classing for the Miata? What about aftermarket radiator?
    i need a better phrase...

No added points for power steering or for swapping out the radiator. Nobody is going to fuss if you're running power steering (not specifically mentioned in the rules, however changing the pulley size and rate with which the power steering is driven is - so if you've changed the crank pulley or PS pulley take points for those, but changing pulley sizes is a different points assessment than 'having power steering'). Radiators can be swapped as a no points mod.

Chris

Thx for the confirmation, Chris. Have you registered for Hallett yet?

I'll most likely register this weekend - trying to get classing sorted out.

Sent in my dyno information for a power to weight classing last week, and Greg gave me 109hp at 2360 or 114hp at 2400 for TTF+7 as a new base class. I asked him for a higher minimum weight for the same power for TTF+0, but haven't heard back yet. I'm Hoping for 109 at 2440 for TTF+0, (I can make that weight with a full tank of gas, a full cool suit cooler, a full windshield washer bottle and a cheeseburger) but I don't think he wants a Miata with suspension and Hoosiers in F. I'd burn up the NT01's I'm running now and then make the switch with a point in F to spare.

As things stand, I could run TTF on street tires but would bump in to TTE on NT01's where I would most assuredly get crushed by more seconds than could be attributable to me and my lack of driving prowess.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by rootdown_53 View Post
    I'm registered, and I have stupid rookie questions for TT. How picky are the inspectors about numbers and class designations? Class letters are 4" tall, are they still 1.5" stroke?
    I've added up my base points for the miata, but i'm not sure about a few things. Does power steering add points to my classing for the Miata? What about aftermarket radiator?
    I saw your post on the forum, then went to the rules to check. Obviously the rad is a no points mod, but the PS question is a good one (that I never thought of). By my "interpertation" of the rules, it appears there is no mention of PS, unless you change pulleys like Chris said. However, I wonder why they keep referring us to "base" cars in classing, then there's this rule? As far as I've been able to find out, base NA/NB miatas did not come with PS. Seems it's a line option.

Going by their "if it's not on the "base" car, then "it's points" classing structure, seems to me PS should incur point(s). Therefore, by removing my power steering, and altering the pully (by dumping it) it is a point mod (which I did not take, but have a few pts to spare anyway) even though I am really just changing back to "base". Should it cost me a point which was never incurred in the first place?

Seems like a poorly written rule, and I wonder if this is why so few have responded to your question. I could be way off and missing something though. You could email Greg for an official answer though. As much as NASA hates the Miata (and s2k), it might be a 3 pt mod though (prolly not, cause then eveyone with PS would get hit).

Numbers are a joke. At the beginning of the season, the new management stirred up a storm by saying that TT'ers needed to have all their numbers according to their rules (both sides and fr/rr). So a few of us complied and spent the money. It's not been an issue, and half the TT field in in non-compliance, running tape on just the sides. Some are almost impossible to read.

Have fun at Hallett. I'll be doing TxMC at HHR next. Hope you and Chris can make that one.

Don't know that I'll be able to make HHR on the 18th - it's a 1 week turn around after Hallett and my wallet is already screaming for relief after all of the spring events.

The thread on the nasa forum has had some additional traffic on it as well - http://www.nasaforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=42828

Oh, and the inspectors are your competitors - tech doesn't do classification reviews, they just try to make sure the cars are safe. Power steering/depowered mods on a powered rack/manual steering wouldn't get scrutiny from me, but some fancy dancy ATI Superdamper sitting where some old rusty crank pulley should be would inspire a question or two.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by SixAce View Post
    Seems like a poorly written rule, and I wonder if this is why so few have responded to your question.
    When you email people about classing with questions on why a car with more tire, on Hoosiers is out-dragracing you, some people threaten to not renew your membership. Remember, for a 2460lb Miata we have 214whp = TTB; 215WHP = TTA**

but some fancy dancy ATI Superdamper sitting where some old rusty crank pulley should be would inspire a question or two.

Damn, i better get out my rust-colored spray paint to keep Chris off my back...

Hallett was awesome. The program was well run, there was some great racing, and the Time Trials group was split - the SUR cars were split off from the A-F cars, so there was looooads of clear track time.

My brother and I took Trey in as a refugee during the wind and rain storm that blew through in the middle of the night on Saturday and he farted up a 20x8x7.5 box with forced ventilation. Cut back on the olive oil. Please.

Ashley had his dad come up for the weekend, and I got some good video of them having some special wheeeeee time. :)

Videos:

Best lap from the weekend - 1:36:66 - last lap in this video.

Trey and Ashley having some special moments.

Chris

New TTB track record, 1:25.7
    M3 is always the answer.

Congrats Ken. Impressive considering you were held up a bit by the vette extiting the bitch...

I was waiting to see what line he took. I thought I would get the outside as he was on a cool down. I don't think it held me enough to get into 1:24 range. That was my goal. With a leaking oil cooler I only ran 2 sessions each day.
    M3 is always the answer.

Thanks for saving my ass, Chris. Seriously, I would have been screwed without you guys.

Ken, I hate you, asshole. Seriously, I mean it with all of my little black heart. You're the guy cutting the hot lap, destroying me, but to me if I took 4-5, 7-8 and 10 like you did people in the know would slap me. Am I just straight up wrong or are our cars that much different?