Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Above ground pools: how bad are they?

Default Above ground pools: how bad are they?

I have a friend getting rid of his above ground pool, it's 4'x18' circular, he's had it awhile, but I think all the parts are there and the pump works fine. He'll give it to me for free if I want it, and I made the mistake of telling my wife about it, so there's no way I can turn back now...

To anyone who has owned such a thing...just how epically huge of a mistake am I about to make??

I grew up in a house that had an in-ground pool, so I know how nice they are, and I also know how $$$$ and PITA they can be to maintain. I guess the best part of the above ground is I can drag it to the curb when i've had enough of it and only have to deal with the giant patch of dirt left behind. (hey it's a rent house, not my grass)

Any idea, cost wise, how expensive these are to run? It supposedly has a pretty efficient pump, but I've got another kid on the way and possiblily downsizing to one salary soon(read: gonna be broke) so cost is a primary concern.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

All AGPs are not created equal. If you are talking about a Walmart special, good luck... I would run. I had a DoughBoy put in last year and I am very happy with it. You can see my build HERE.

Driver

Don't do it. He thinks he's found a sucker... and you're it.

I did the same thing when I got rid of my hot tub last year

I had one for several years...seriuosly considering getting another one! Was not that big a deal to maintain it. It does cost money to run the pump and maintain chemicals - but worth it IMO. I don't remember it making that big a difference in my electric or water bill but it wasn't a huge pool either. Todd's pool is awesome. Like you said, if you get tired of it, drag it to the curb and be done with it.

What kind of above ground pool are you talking about that can be dragged to the curb?? The only ones I've ever seen/been in were rather large things..even the ones without wood decks made around them. You'd have to cut them up and put them out front for a couple of big-trash days, not just one...I guess that's still technically "dragging it to the curb" but not nearly as quick and easy as people here are making it sound. Plus all that chemically treated water needs to go somewhere, no?

FWIW though, a friend had one in NJ when we were growing up as kids. His family put it in when we were really young, and had it for at least 10 years with no major issues that I recall. They built a huge deck around it, so they definitely planned on having it quite awhile. I didn't see the point of a waist-deep pool back then, but I'm learning that it's better than nothing nowadays (we used to live directly across the street from a lake though).

Most AGP's suck. Not because they don't work hold water or have efficient pumps, but because they need a constant supply of chemicals, grow algae, and area PITA to clean. You are probablt getting a uv-wrecked sieve-to-be.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Quote Originally Posted by Rob® View Post
    What kind of above ground pool are you talking about that can be dragged to the curb?? The only ones I've ever seen/been in were rather large things..even the ones without wood decks made around them. You'd have to cut them up and put them out front for a couple of big-trash days, not just one...I guess that's still technically "dragging it to the curb" but not nearly as quick and easy as people here are making it sound.
    It could be a soft side Intex like this one. If it is, I would upgrade the filtration system though. I didn't trust the standard little sand filter that was standard with mine, so I upgraded to a large D.E. filter made for inground pools (its actually the same filter I had on an in-ground pool at my last house).
    Plus all that chemically treated water needs to go somewhere, no?
    A properly balanced pool does not need a lot of chemicals... just a steady supply of bleach or chlorine, just like the water company adds to the water coming out of your faucet. Let a pool sit for 2 days without adding any, and it is all burned off by the sun. I would not hesitate to water my plants with it.

FWIW though, a friend had one in NJ when we were growing up as kids. His family put it in when we were really young, and had it for at least 10 years with no major issues that I recall. They built a huge deck around it, so they definitely planned on having it quite awhile. I didn't see the point of a waist-deep pool back then, but I'm learning that it's better than nothing nowadays (we used to live directly across the street from a lake though).
    Yep... my parents have basically the same Doughboy I have. They are looking at replacing it, as they loved how shiny and new mine is. The Dealer examined theirs and estimated it had been installed in the early 1960s. LOL

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

What kind of condition is it in? How old is the liner? It could turn in to a money pit and giant PITA. Ground preparation is vital. You'll need an almost perfectly level spot and then add a bunch of cushioning sand before you put it up.

If you do get it start reading http://www.troublefreepool.com and learn the BBB method of pool maintenance.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    What kind of condition is it in? How old is the liner? It could turn in to a money pit and giant PITA. Ground preparation is vital. You'll need an almost perfectly
    level spot and then add a bunch of cushioning sand before you put it up.

If you do get it start reading http://www.troublefreepool.com and learn the BBB method of pool maintenance.
    Agree on all points. You may think the ground looks level but then find that just a few inches of elevation change makes life hell. If it was me, I would have a couple hundred in sand dumped down and leveled out first.

BBB and TroubleFreepool.com makes pool maintenance a breeze.

Driver

intex? RUN.

Chassis Designer

Whatever you do, do NOT use cement blocks to weigh-down the ladder. Algee gets into them and there isn't enough chlorine in Texas to get the water clear. Plastic bags or plastic containers filled (and sealed) with sand work much better.

You guys are making me very worried...

I'm trying to find out which type, brand, etc. I took a long look at the area of my back yard and it's got a couple inches of slope there. Man I don't want to put that much work in it. What am I looking at here, just shoveling it level? or would I need to dig a hole 6 inches or so and fill with sand or what?? How bad would it be if I didn't put sand down?

One thing i'm not going to do it dump a ton of money preparing for a 10 year old sun bleached pool. I might look at my options and get a new one af that's the case.

My wife really wants a pool, so what would be a good price range for a decent new pool?? I saw the lower end pools for around 300 - 500, i'm guessing these are crap. Would I be able to get into a halfway decent pool for less than a grand, or am I SOL here??
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

My ABP was not that big - but we DID dig about 6" down and filled & leveled it with sand. Once you get the water in the pool - any tiny little ANYTHING that's on the ground is noticeable through the liner and could possibly become a "wear" point and cause a hole. I knew someone who had a pool a little smaller than Todd's and one summer the liner broke and flooded their backyard AND the adjacent backyards - even the houses across the alley.

If you have any intention of keeping it for any length of time, it's worth the time and trouble to do it right. We used a little floaty thing and kept chlorine tabs in it and never had a problem with chemical levels.

In my neighborhood, getting rid of just about anything hasn't been much of a problem - if you put just about ANYTHING out on the curb (or alley) somebody will come along and snatch it up pretty quick...for whatever reason.

Makes me think of that episode of "My Name is Earl" where he got the hot tub from a homeless guy and Joy got the bad flesh-eating bacteria infection and her toe swelled up huge.

Quote Originally Posted by Hard Drivin Johnny View Post
    Makes me think of that episode of "My Name is Earl" where he got the hot tub from a homeless guy and Joy got the bad flesh-eating bacteria infection and her toe swelled up huge.
    I miss that show.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    I miss that show.
    It's been on twice a day on channel 7, I think. I've been recording it to my DVR.

Quote Originally Posted by Hard Drivin Johnny View Post
    It's been on twice a day on channel 7, I think. I've been recording it to my DVR.
    Old episodes but the show was cancelled between seasons with no real ending. Really pissed me off.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

If it is not one of those pool in a box from Walmart it is a marginal good deal. If a Walmart type the money saved is not going to worth the 105 degree hard labor to set it it up before it fails. Either way you will need a new liner, the liner in your used pool will be stretched thin and sun baked just ready for a tear and leak. Expect at least $300 for a cheap free shipping one from online that will last about 5 years at most. You must level the area, fill with masonry sand and build up a cove and the floor must be perfectly smooth and flat and spray with nutgrass killer. Nothing is ever ever free.

I bought a 27'x48" AGP on a "last year inventory closeout sale" a few years ago. We wanted a pool and had been doing the annual Walmart inflatable ring pools for several years. One season was all they were lasting but they were cheap. You couldn't really do more than sit and splash a little in them either. The ABG I felt would be a less expensive way to determine if the big expense and time required to maintain a IGP would work with us. Dipping my toe in you may say. Pool complete with a salt system, installed set me back less than $4000. The salt system payed for itself by money savings on chemicals not needed. A salt system generates it's own chlorine and all one really needs to do is occasionally add water and some acid to maintain levels, after swimming it has a switch to shock the system overnight. It is as close as a maintenance free pool as you will get. I do, do a once a month water test and add some chem but it is usually very small and cheap amounts. Without, you must check and add chemicals almost everyday. My salt system generator was killed by lightning after a year but replaced at no charge under a 2 year warranty. The liner failed at year 4 by either a gopher undermining or a neighbor kid with a broken glass scuba mask he didn't want to get in trouble for so he didn't tell. Discovered the broken glass with a pool scrubbing and a bloody foot. I just received our replacement liner (25mm $276 free shipping) and came to the conclusion it is too big a job for me to handle myself alone in this heat. Pool company I bought the pool from estimated $500 to install and start the pool if I have all ready removed the old liner for them. After removing the liner by myself in 100 degrees $500 is a bargain.
    the entire family loves having the pool and I am still happy to have it.

hope this helps
    I drive to fast to worry about my cholesterol.

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    Old episodes but the show was cancelled between seasons with no real ending. Really pissed me off.
    Aww bummer. I'm thinking of getting all the seasons on DVD.

Went by and checked the pool out. here's some photos.

The water's still clear so I know the pump is still in working order, but looks like it probably could use an overhaul, sun bleached hoses, etc.

The liner is good, but needs to be replaced. From a random pool brochure we looked at looks to be around $150. Could use a new tarp, but not necessary.

It's huge, and more permanent type. Which is good...and bad. More prep work, more of a hole left if I chunk it. Right now i'm not so sure I want such a project for maybe 2 - 3 months of good swimming weather...but it is Texas so you never know. More than likely though if I got it I would leave it in pieces in the shed and leave the project for next January so that it'll be prime for spring season. I've got another kid on the way so there are more pressing projects to get to.

Seems like a good deal as the hardware that is good would be expensive to buy outright. Still debating weather I want a project this complicated. Did I mention it's HUGE, lot bigger than I was expecting. 18ft diameter. Not that big in the scope of pools, but that's a big chunk of yard i'd be giving up.

We had a pool growing up so I know all about maintaining a pool, chemical wise.

I'm still on the fence with this. Any thoughts??
    Last edited by Jiggerachi; 07-09-2011 at 10:49 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast