Thread: Need TO Borrow 1/2" torque wrench

Default Need TO Borrow 1/2" torque wrench

Gonna do my timing belt and WP on Saturday but need a torque wrench. Before I drive to Harbor Freight to get one, if anyone got one that I can use for a day, please call/text me at 479-530-808 three. Located in N Plano. Thank you. Lee

Lee,

Go get a HF Torque Wrench. They are accurate enough for what you are doing and everyone should have one in their tool box. (Don't you torque your lug nuts?) Even better, get an in/lbs and ft/lbs torque wrench. In/lbs is used for valve cover, water pump and pulley and crank pulley. People often snap those bolts with too much torque. Use blue thread lock too on any bolts on rotating items. If you need any additional parts we have everything.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    Lee,

Go get a HF Torque Wrench. They are accurate enough for what you are doing and everyone should have one in their tool box. (Don't you torque your lug nuts?) Even better, get an in/lbs and ft/lbs torque wrench. In/lbs is used for valve cover, water pump and pulley and crank pulley. People often snap those bolts with too much torque. Use blue thread lock too on any bolts on rotating items. If you need any additional parts we have everything.
    +1

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

If you look around the web, there is usually a $9.99 coupon for the 1/2" version.

EDIT - It's your lucky day
    Attached Images Attached Images

William, I do have one. It's in Arkansas though. Thank you very much for the coupon Sam.

Quote Originally Posted by Awdieee View Post
    William, I do have one. It's in Arkansas though. Thank you very much for the coupon Sam.
    For $10, it's worth having a spare. Good find sammm.
    ...and across the line.

Autozone rents half inch torque wrenches and in the end it's free.

I actually bought another torque wrench from harbor freight. Can't go wrong with $10 thanks to Sam for the coupon.

Bringing this up from the dead, I've just had my 3rd or 4th cheapy HF torque wrench fall apart. Debating if I want to get another one for 10 bucks (may still have the warranty paperwork for this dead one at home somewhere) or just get a decent one at Sears for 50-70 bucks. Thoughts?
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

How is it falling apart?? I have had mine for at least 10 years still works fine.....

Driver

Cosmos is using his as a key to his back door again

Are you setting the torque wrench back to the lowest setting when storing it? Also, never use a torque wrench to loosen bolts. We have HF torque wrenches at TDR and one did break but we used it a lot. We replaced it with another. We also have a Craftsman Dial torque wrench. My personal Craftsman dial torque wrench broke but my HF is fine. I think, for the money the HF is a great buy and more than adequate for most people.

The Craftsman In/lbs torque wrench is a nice tool. Never tried the HF In/lbs torque wrench.
    I've seen more snapped bolts that require in/lbs than ft/lbs.
    ...and across the line.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    Thoughts?
    FYI...Sear's (Craftsman) won't warranty a torque wrench.

I bought one of the Husky ones a few years back when I found it on sale when I had to replace the rear axle nuts on the S2000... seems beefy enough and haven't had any trouble with it...

Last edited by Dave04; 08-09-2011 at 01:29 PM.
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    How is it falling apart?? I have had mine for at least 10 years still works fine.....
    Usually the screws on the back plate tend to back out and I don't notice and then it just falls apart. I'll be honest I do use a torque wrench to brake the lugs loose before using the impact. I figure if they have the switch to let you tighten and loosen why can't you use it to loosen?
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

Usually the screws on the back plate tend to back out and I don't notice and then it just falls apart.
    Try this stuff! My HF Torque wrench has been trouble free ever since.

Good point, may just get a new one and loctite it. The issue is, how far/tight do you tighten the screw down? Too tight and it doesn't operate, does the screw tightness affect the torque values?
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

I figure if they have the switch to let you tighten and loosen why can't you use it to loosen?
    I agree. Seems like you should be able to and may very well be able to but I figure since it is a precision measuring device, I'll use a simple breaker bar to loosen lug nuts. I didn't want to possibly alter the calibration or damage the toque wrench.
    ...and across the line.

Bougt a new one for ten (thanks for the coupon sammm). It appears the screws on the new one are as tight as they will go so I'll just remember to check every once in a while. I also filed the receipt for the lifetime warranty this time, 4th time is a charm.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater