Thread: Auto trans conversion

Default Auto trans conversion

This thought popped in my head today... is it difficult to bolt up an auto trans to a 90? I'm thinking ahead for the future if I get a newer Miata and I keep the 90 and put an auto in it so my girlfriend can drive it. She's learned how to drive a stick in the past but really doesn't want to. WOuld it be better to find a cheap deal on a car with an auto?

Yes, Finding a cheap deal on an auto would be much easier than converting one. The slush-box Miata has a different trans, additional throttle cable, different pedal box amongst other things. I had a friend go the other way (auto to manual) and needed a donor car to get all the misc parts. Even then it was a major PITA. I've seen some excellent cars on CL only to be disappointed to see it wasn't a stick.

Keep in mind, automatics consisted of about 10% of the NA Miatas sold. Then again there isn't a huge demand for them so you should be able to get a good price. Also, having driven an automatic Miata it is much like driving a convertible Civic. Ho-hum...
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Thanks for the info. I mentioned it to her tonight and she said "I can just re-learn how to drive a stick." I love her.