Thread: Flowmaster exhaust

Default Flowmaster exhaust

I had pretty much settled on buying a Roadster sport single tip system for my 99 but remembered that the Flowmaster duals I had on my Stang were completely awesome.
    I happened to be in the shop where I bought that system some years ago and asked if they sold Flows for Miata's and they said yes to my suprise.

I am curious has anyone used the series 60 Flowmasters on their NB's?
    and if so what was your opinion of the results?
    I would think they are great for a V8 but might sound a bit ricey on a Miata, and honestly not loud enough.

Any thoughts?

Nope, no idea. how much are they wanting for the setup? I know that in Hurst Kennys builds cat back for a resonalbe price. I'm sure others will chime in.
    Hmm what is decent? Are we talking about your decent or my decent? I'm just curious because I don't want to offend anyone else's decent...

Well, there are single & dual exhaust setups available from various Miata aftermarket shops. The board has lots of reviews on them and you can even find audio recordings of the sounds on the web.

These existing setups even bolt right in.

Before you go to the time/trouble/expense for a custom exhaust system you may want to shop around a bit and see if you like any of those existing ones. TC and Dave04 have dual setups - Granted, I think both of theirs are single muffler with dual pipes coming out of the muffler. I'm not sure how well you could squeeze 2 good sounding mufflers under the car

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

I have flowmasters on both of my Miata's. The BRG is a little loud right now, but I expect it to tone down once the turbo goes on. The Red M2 sounds good in my opinion.

Chris

I have a borla muffler on my enthuza exhaust. It isn't quite as smooth as I would like. My old muffler, which had something go wrong and cause it to rattle, was very smooth. It was a shiny who knows who made it. If you have the money, I would get the roadster sport. Neither will get you power or very little of it if they do. So the main thing is sound, and I have heard nothing but good about roadster sport. If you get a random flowstopper, it might sound good, might not, but to try it again you would be in the same place...

well they were telling me that the Flowmaster 60 series would run me around 100 bucks installed, which is 1/3rd of the Roadster sport and since I have owned the Flows before I know they are made well.
    Thats why I was curious if anyone had experience with the flows on a Miata.
    I dont plan on going Turbo for some time, in fact such a long time as I will most likely get a header before a Turbo.

So Kags, are you using the 60's series on yours?, I don't mind loud just dont want high pitched loud (ricey) would preffer deeper sounding burble kind of loud.
    I mean I know it aint a V8, but something that makes it sound nice and deep would be the desired result.
    And if I could get it for 1/3rd of the price that would be awesome.

Well...Let me chime in here....I thought about an aftermarket exhaust myself and looked and listened to alot of them here on the web. My choice would have been the Roadster Sport. The removeable baffle would be really nice...just in case you wanted to hear the radio over the exhaust. The muffler itself is very nice looking but will be hidden under the car. The sound is very nice.....and 300 Dollars for sound is alot of money but.....What the heck....you only live once...I say buy it Billy.

Jerry

The problem with "trying" a new exhaust on a Miata is possible droning.

I had one of those "relocate the spare" exhausts and it droned on the freeway like a jet liner. It sucked big time!

I'd suggest an exhaust that has been reviewed by others positively over trying something custom.

You're $$$ and you're ears though... YMMV

I have FM Duals and love them. I get compliments all the time too.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)