Thread: Corvette question

Default Corvette question

A friend has a 93 vette that has been sitting for a year and won't start. It will fire up with starter fluid but then dies. Fuel pump fues are good. Question, can you hear a fuel pump with the key turned on these cars like you can on the Miata? I could hear it on my Suburban, and my F250 as well, but I don't hear anything on this car. Is it as fun to change out one of these as it was on my old Suburban?
    Last edited by cam76034; 08-24-2011 at 11:58 AM.

You should be able to hear the fuel pump run with the key on before you crank it. I think there should be a fuel pump fuse AND a relay. Pray for a bad relay if the fuse is good. Better yet, if you can trace the wires, hotwire the pump to the battery and see if it runs. Sounds like a dead pump, or maybe something's been snacking on the wiring. Since it's an American car, I'm pretty sure the fuel pump will be a huge PITA to pull (drop the flimsy plastic tank that's full of rotten gas because there is no drain plug and no topside pump access). Seems like only the Axis powers got that right with an access hatch inside the car directly over the fuel pump...

Good luck!
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

When I had the Z06 (it was an '03), you could hear the fuel pump kick on as soon as you turned the key.

Lots of good info here - http://forums.corvetteforum.com/

Corvetteforum has been a great help, now I know where to look for the elusive relay, and as it turns out, changing the fuel pump is from the top through the fuel filler door access and looks relatively straightforward.

Quote Originally Posted by cam76034 View Post
    Corvetteforum has been a great help, now I know where to look for the elusive relay, and as it turns out, changing the fuel pump is from the top through the fuel filler door access and looks relatively straightforward.
    Really?!?!?? I stand corrected. Are we sure the Vette wasn't designed by Germans?
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

It turned out to be a dead fuel pump and was incredibly easy to change out thanks to the GerMan Engineering.