Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: North Texas Biathlon

Default North Texas Biathlon

North Texas Biathlon

Is your car the fastest and best handling in the metroplex? It's time to burn and turn. Join us at North Star Dragway in Denton for the Summer Cruise bracket race on Saturday August 20th with the gates opening at 6 PM and bracket racing starting at 7 PM. General admission is $10 and $5 more to enter the bracket race. Equipe Rapide is hosting Challenge Cup #6 on Sunday August 21st at Pennington Field in Bedford with no general admission fees and $35 to enter the autocross. Scores will be based on finishing positions in the bracket race and the Rapide PAX challenge. Scores will be added together from both events and the three lowest scores will win a trophy and bragging rights. The rules are simple. Run the same car at each event with only tire and wheel changes allowed. Making adjustments to suspensions are allowed but no swapping parts. You can get more information about the Summer Cruise at http://www.northstar-dragway.com

Online registration is available for the autocross. Check out www.autocross.com/er for registration details.
    Andy Cost
    Humble Servant - Equipe Rapide

You know this sounds pretty cool! (Well except for the Pennington Field part.... )

Driver

Add in a day at ECR or MSR and you've got yourself a real Festival of Speed

Quote Originally Posted by goofygrin View Post
    Add in a day at ECR or MSR and you've got yourself a real Festival of Speed
    A Tri would be pretty cool. Something to think about. But, I guess we should just stay Bi in this thread.

But, I guess we should just stay Bi in this thread.
    Trolling for trolls?
    Andy Cost

It's the moustache

Lol!
    How does the bracket racing work?
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

I'm no expert but I bet I can get Nick who is the owner of Denton Dragway to give me a writeup.

Do you want general information on what a bracket race is or specific information on how this bracket race will be administered?
    Andy Cost

Either is fine, but this ones my main interest.
    Polished Turd Racing

Here is a how typical bracket racing work- First, everyone gets a few test runs to see how fast you are. You then choose what they call your dial-in, which is basically your target time. Everyone is then placed in a bracket based on their dial-in, with a goal of putting you up against someone with a similar Dial-in. For each race, handicapping is used to try to get both cars to the finish line at the same time. So if you gave yourself a 10s dial-in and I gave myself a 10.5, I would get my green light .5s early. Then the first one across the finish line WITHOUT beating their dial-in wins. That is the big catch... choosing your dial in is like dealing with Bob Barker.... You need to get as close to the real time without beating it. Bottom line is, fast cars don't win... consistent drivers do.
    Last edited by Titus; 08-04-2011 at 07:37 AM.

Cool, thx!
    Polished Turd Racing

So kind of like sandbagging in pro solo but in a straight line instead :)
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    So kind of like sandbagging in pro solo but in a straight line instead :)
    Yep... Sandbagging your dial-in is common, especially for those with an inconsistent car or driver. You will see guys get a really good launch, and then let off to stay no more then a fender in front of their competitor. It is also not uncommon to see brake lights before the finish.

And hitting the nitrous button to get a fender ahead.
    Andy Cost

I am considering this as the drag strip is right near home. Depends on the weather. I am out if it over 120 degrees

I've been to the drag strip a dozen times over the last 20 years. I bracket raced two or three times. Most of the time I go on Friday night and run grudge matches just to get time slips. There really is a lot to drag racing. I always thought that you wait till you see green and then hammer the gas. It is fun to try different things in order to improve your reaction times or 60 foot times or top end. You can experiment with timing of the christmas tree for your reaction time, different launch RPM's, different shift RPM's, burn out, no burn out, etc... The 10 seconds going down the strip take about 10 minutes worth of preparation and concentration.
    Andy Cost

Quote Originally Posted by TxCoyote View Post
    I am considering this as the drag strip is right near home. Depends on the weather. I am out if it over 120 degrees
    +1

Just to clarify, the autocross and the bracket racing are two separate events. You can do either event or both. Only those that do both are competing for the Biathlon championship.
    Andy Cost

I'm getting ready to order trophies and need a headcount of those who are planning on running both days. If it is just me then I'll get one really big expensive trophy.
    Andy Cost

Count me in.
    Polished Turd Racing

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast