Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2008 PHRT....any one have input on these?

Default 2008 PRHT....any one have input on these?

Well as I start doing some more work to my baby the 1996, I'm considering buying a newer Miata for my daily driver. I have been looking at the PRHT models but was wanting to know if anybody has any insight on them. Looks like it would be the best of both worlds but not sure. I haven't heard anything negative about them but want to be sure before I proceed. Of course the new one will be getting a MP62 SC!

Thanks!
    Last edited by titanescape; 08-31-2011 at 12:10 PM. Reason: TYPO
    Nothing like the whine of a SC at full throttle!

I think they look bad and would rather have a soft-top with a removable hard-top.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

Well then I will run into the same dilemma I have now..get the hardtop, can't take it off after I leave home. Keep the soft top and spend half the price of a hardtop getting a new one installed. The 96 is going to be my toy that I can tinker with and not be rushed to finish stuff. It's a pain to have things taken apart and have to make sure I'm good to go by Sunday night. Decisions...decisions...
    Nothing like the whine of a SC at full throttle!

Quote Originally Posted by mr brg View Post
    I think they look bad and would rather have a soft-top with a removable hard-top.
    This. Give or take the hardtop at all (I'm still not a hardtop believer).

Maybe my age is showing, but I'd consider one...
    Speed

––––––––––––––––?? ?––––––––––––––––? ??––––
    Don't look...there's nothing down here for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob® View Post
    This. Give or take the hardtop at all (I'm still not a hardtop believer).
    +1 and I even own a Hardtop.

The Hardtop spends way more time taking up space than it does resting on the car.

The PRHT on the NC looks funky from certain angles and I'm not so sure I'd want the added weight.

I have been very impressed with the PRHT models and they even seem to be excellent for autox despite the slight weight penalty. They are super easy to use, never need replacing, and are much quieter and better-insulated on the road. They look a bit funny compared to the ragtop, but i would probably buy one next if I didn't plan to build the car to be a nationally competitive STR car.
    Last edited by OZMDD; 08-31-2011 at 01:27 PM.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    +1 and I even own a Hardtop.

The Hardtop spends way more time taking up space than it does resting on the car.

The PRHT on the NC looks funky from certain angles and I'm not so sure I'd want the added weight.
    The hard top spends all it's time in the closet because you don't want to put it on and be stuck with it on if you want to put the top down. That's not an issue with a PRHT.

Me? I like the PRHT. All the benefits of a hard top (quieter, more effective HVAC, more secure, lower vandalism target) with no drawback but an added 70 pounds. I guarantee you that 95% of the people on this board (including half the resident track stars ) wouldn't notice the difference at the limit.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

but it looks so much like one of these:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&c...og&sa=N&tab=wi
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Driver

My only concern would be owning one out of warranty... I'm not sure how complex they are, but most of the retractable hardtops I'm familiar with are not the sort of thing you can fix yourself and require shims and jigs to reset if you ever do need to work on it.

LMAO. I love that they put the manual top comparison in there too! The whole time I was like, "I could have put my top up and down a few times by now." Then there it was in the video. Awesome.

I can understand the "out-of-warranty" concerns, but the PRHT isn't anywhere NEAR as complex as its German cousins. It's almost a win-win - very little weight penalty, ZERO lost trunk space, simple design. I've seen enough of them that I'm almost used to the looks - not as sexy as a soft top or a removable HT, but not bad looking. The added security would be nice on long trips, but I've read that the NVH isn't a whole lot better than a soft top (R&T, I think). So if there's little to no NVH benefit, I'd much rather have a soft top - it's the best soft top ever made. Period. Having said all that, I'd really like to drive them back-to-back.

If you're worried about security, take your stuff out of the car or find a way to deadlock the trunk when you park at a seedy motel on the road.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

I like the ideal of the Power Hardtop, but I like the lines A LOT better on the removable hardtop for the NC.
    Cory
    2006 Mazda MX-5 GT (SOLD)
    ​1999 Mazda Miata (FOR SALE)
    2004 Chevrolet Z06/Z16
    2013 Kawasaki Ninja 650

c
    Quote Originally Posted by CHeavin_2006 View Post
    I like the ideal of the Power Hardtop, but I like the lines A LOT better on the removable hardtop for the NC.
    Agreed. If they made it look better, I'd be all for the PRHT (for someone else - I don't like the NC personally). The thought behind it is great, but the aesthetic execution not so much in my opinion.

Chassis Designer

Quote Originally Posted by titanescape View Post
    Well as I start doing some more work to my baby the 1996, I'm considering buying a newer Miata for my daily driver. I have been looking at the PRHT models but was wanting to know if anybody has any insight on them. Looks like it would be the best of both worlds but not sure. I haven't heard anything negative about them but want to be sure before I proceed. Of course the new one will be getting a MP62 SC!

Thanks!
    titanescape,

I have a friend who had an NB... now has a '10 PRHT. He is convinced they are the two most wonderful cars he has ever driven. If you would like to talk to him, since he has actual experience, email me @ jhmoller at sbcglobal.net and I'll get you in touch with him.

He's in Lewisville and not real fastidious about who drives it.

Jim M

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    ...Me? I like the PRHT. All the benefits of a hard top (quieter, more effective HVAC, more secure, lower vandalism target) with no drawback but an added 70 pounds.
    +1 And I don't think it looks that bad... well, some colors look better than others.
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

For all of those that say the PRHT is ugly, I'm just going to leave this right here...

Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

^I think it's sexy...too bad it's so freakin' heavy.

Some colors are better than others apparently. That's one of the few I like.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast