Thread: Using a Manual Transmission

MiataProtege

Default Using a Manual Transmission

So tomorrow I will be purchasing my first Manual Transmission car... (1999 Mazda MX-5 Miata)... I have driven stick before (for about 30 minutes) and can handle the basics.... I'm worried though that I may create some repairs that I could potentially avoid. I was wondering if anyone had some tips for me to assist in saving me costly repairs?

I'll go through the basics of how I think driving it will work in a 5 speed:

1. Hold Clutch Down
    2. Put gear into neutral (or 1st???)
    3. Turn key to start car
    4. Give the tiniest amount of gas possible, barely pushing down on the pedal
    5. Slowly pull the clutch back until you feel the car go into gear
    6. Give it a little extra gas to keep it from stalling
    7. Get the rpm's up to 2500-4000
    8. Pull foot off gas
    9. Push clutch down
    10. Pull stick into neutral then into 2nd
    11. Pull clutch off
    12. Push gas down

Continue steps 7-12 changing the gears all the way to 5th.

Downshifting
    If going to fast, push the clutch in drop it a gear, give it a bit of gas to pop it into place? Or just use neutral until I'm at the speed of the appropriate gear, then shift into that gear?

Any tips at all to help me from ruining my clutch / whatever else I could ruin from poor shifting, would be very well received!

Take your foot off the clutch pedal when not actively shifting gears. "Riding the clutch" is the best way to wear it out in a hurry.
    -Jim
    Ok -- who owns "Team Squid?" I want in!!
    SOLD! - 2004 Titanium Gray MX-5 MazdaSpeed (#744 of 4000). Bone stock!
    Next up: Mustang Guard EB, 6sp manual, 100a package, Performance package, Recaros and the back-up beep-beep!

MiataProtege

Quote Originally Posted by Squid View Post
    Take your foot off the clutch pedal when not actively shifting gears. "Riding the clutch" is the best way to wear it out in a hurry.
    Thanks very much, so I should rest my left foot on the side of the car and not on the actual pedal and only bring it on the pedal when it's time to shift. (just clarifying to let you know I am reading your advice)

I've been working with my daughter to get her drivers licence. Since her car is a stick we have spent a lot of time learning to drive stick. Best thing you can do is find a large parking lot and stop and start until you get it figured out. Seat time is the key IMHO.

She takes her drivers test in 2 weeks.

MiataProtege

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    I've been working with my daughter to get her drivers licence. Since her car is a stick we have spent a lot of time learning to drive stick. Best thing you can do is find a large parking lot and stop and start until you get it figured out. Seat time is the key IMHO.

She takes her drivers test in 2 weeks.
    I suppose... I guess excitement is mounting wanting to drive it so bad. Took forever for my bank to get me approved for my loan.

Your not going to learn how to drive stick on the interweb your going to need to drive that sucker.

MiataProtege

Your not going to learn how to drive stick on the interweb your going to need to drive that sucker.
    I might get it tomorrow... if not thursday I'm off all day and will definitely get it then. All I know is... I'm going to blow through $100 in gas REAL quick. I'm going to Dallas... then.... I don't know... just hit the highway forever!!!

That is... after my father shows me how to really make it shine. I want the brilliant black to POP!

Highways?? You got a lot to learn about Miatas.

Spend some time in a parking lot starting and stopping the car just to get a feel of how to drive a stick before you go and wad it up in traffic.

BTW. if you live on the Ft. Worth side of town this lot (Birdville Stadium) is a great place to learn since it isn't flat so you can practice starting out going uphill and downhill - http://g.co/maps/npccy

Fill out your profile so folks know what side of town you live in.

MiataProtege

BTW. if you live on the Ft. Worth side of town this lot (Birdville Stadium) is a great place to learn since it isn't flat so you can practice starting out going uphill and downhill - http://g.co/maps/npccy

Fill out your profile so folks know what side of town you live in.
    I filled out that little bit. Thanks for the location, bit far for me, my father doesnt live in a great location... however it is notorious for nails!

Prefers his T-Bones Deboned... jeff_man's Avatar

Floor the gas and release the clutch quickly. After that you use have to do it over and over with less gas each time and less dumping of the clutch. Easiest way to learn.

My wife bought her first new car ( 78 Mazda GLC) without knowing how to drive it. Of course stick shifts were easier to learn back in those days.

You will learn if you are motivated enough.
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD
    2006 Red NC - GT with limited slip, HIDs, all OEM.

Drive....drive....drive....oh and drive some more. Get some one who knows how to drive to get you to a large mostly empty parking lot. Shouldn't be too hard to find towards the end of the day. Then just practice. Having one of those battery jumper packs may be a good idea incase you are really bad at it starting off and kill the battery from restarting a bunch of times.
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive
    http://profile.imageshack.us/user/jeepinbanditride

MiataProtege

Quote Originally Posted by jeepinbanditrider View Post
    Drive....drive....drive....oh and drive some more. Get some one who knows how to drive to get you to a large mostly empty parking lot. Shouldn't be too hard to find towards the end of the day. Then just practice. Having one of those battery jumper packs may be a good idea incase you are really bad at it starting off and kill the battery from restarting a bunch of times.
    Well I know how to get into first.... I'm just trying to get advice prior to getting the car (IM GETTING IT TODAAAAAAY) on how to not wear down pieces that will cost me a fortune in repairs.

Howdy....welcome to the wonderful world of Miatas. These little cars are tougher than you think. *IF* you are lucky enough to get a Miata that is mechanically sound, I dont think you will have any clutch repair issues. Why? Because you apparently care enough not to abuse the car. Just take it easy at first until you get your timing down. Shifting well is learned and then becomes instinctive. Just take your time during a shift....finish moving to another gear completely before releasing the clutch. Slow shifting now will naturally speed up as you develop that instinct. Smooth. Smooth will save your equipment.
    The reason everyone is steering you to a parking lot is that starting from a stop is the hardest part. Having cars behind you honking can really make it difficult. We all want you to know how to start rolling so well that high stress situations wont be a problem. I recommend that begin starting out giving it a fair amount of gas...like 2000 rpm and slip the clutcha lot to get going. Dont make that the habit....but so you can see that the clutch engagement is key. You learn were it starts to engage and how quickly is up to you and your left foot. After you get comfortable with normal starts then find a hill to start on. A trick you can use if the hill is really steep and some idiot came right up on your bumper, is to use the parking brake to hold the car, releasing it as you slowly engage the clutch with that 2000 rpm mentioned.
    The key is practice. I hope this more of what you were asking for. I'm known on this forum for writing book answers and being in "Dad-mode".
    Mitch

You obviously don't want to abuse it, but don't worry so much about babying it that you never figure it out. Miatas are for driving, and are pretty tough little cars. Mainly, avoid hitting things (which you do by paying attention to the road more than the clutch), keep an eye on the temp and check the oil frequently, and don't bite off more than you can chew by heading-out into unknown areas and into traffic.

Its likely that you will wear the (already fairly old) clutch prematurely in your first manual car, so don't worry too much about it unless you start smelling a funny burning smell everytime you drive. Consider replacing a clutch to be an upcoming learning experience that every decent shadetree mechanic shoudl experience at least once in life. Odds are that you'll go quite a few miles before it even becomes a possibility.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

If you can't find it, grind it!

You don't always need to get to 5th gear! I can't tell you how many times I've taught/been with beginner manual drivers that somehow learned that they always need to get to 5th gear. You do not. If you're going 25mph, 5th gear is not a good idea. It should be fairly common sense, but seeing your "Continue steps 7-12 changing the gears all the way to 5th" comment brings back memories of new drivers trying to chug along in 5th gear at 1100 rpm. You seem to know the theory behind it, so I'm sure you knew that, but you never know.

Other than that, practice like everyone else has said. And I semi-agree with jeff_man: taking it easy and stalling the car is probably the "best" way to learn, but you should know how much is too much as well...But of course only do that in an empty parking lot nowhere near a curb, tree, bush, person, dog, pothole, cop, security guard, etc etc.

Most of all - don't get frustrated. Have fun with it.