Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any reputable Megasquirt Tuners in DFW?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob® View Post
    mr brg will be responding shortly.

Out of curiousity, which MS did you get? Did you run the LINK with sequential fuel injection? What wires did you have to switch to make the change? Just the 3 or 4 you had to change to get the LINK to work? I ask because that is my super-far-off plan.

I have this one: http://megasquirtpnp.com/

To the best of my knowledge it was still batch fire and not sequential.
    Last edited by Mr.E.G.; 09-09-2011 at 03:50 PM.

Whoops. User error. Ignore this post.
    Last edited by Mr.E.G.; 09-09-2011 at 03:49 PM. Reason: I suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    No, you don't know what you are talking about. For the link install, several changes are made to the stock wiring harness, including modifications to the injector harness for sequential injection, and changing around a couple pins on the harness where it plugs in to the ECU. If the MSPNP is designed to simply replace the stock ECU, LINk users would need to undo several of these changes, unless you can change the programming to accommodate the wiring changes. either way, it is not plug it in and go for us. We also already have a "real IAT", so I am interested to know if the MS one uses the same voltages, or if it can be programmed to accept the one we have.
    I reverted back to the stock harness configuration (under the dash) before I installed the Megasquirt. I had to get rid of the Link MAP sensor wires that plugged into the factory MAF. I did not have any optional Link components, just the basic setup which included non-functioning rev limiter. haha.

I hear that Track Dog Racing is starting to get into MSPNP, so they may be willing to take a tuning job. I too am running a 1.6 LINK and may change to the MSPNP some day so I also share Rob's interest in info about what the ECU change job involved.
    I will call Gary. He was more than helpful when I was looking for brakes.

His MS2 boxes ate totally PNP. People who can't get ACT working properly lack effort, not knowledge. Tuner Studio is phenomenal.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

Quote Originally Posted by mr brg View Post
    Yep, I've been tuning a lot more MS cars lately. I use a great MD-250 at Exatorq in Rowlett which is also probably the cheapest dyno in town; if you don't know much about dynos I can tell you why it's the better or possibly best dyno out there. No one wants to tune MS because there's no money in it. They want you to buy whatever they sell so they can charge you labor on the install and then they stick another $500+ to tune it. I'll tune it, but only after I have a look at the car and you get a leak-down test to make sure everything is working properly.

I'd prefer that you tune the car yourself, that's kind of how MS works. If you want me to do it bring the car by and I'll get it road tuned so you can drive around town and then we can schedule 1-hour on the dyno and get it making real power. If you have a starter table for it, send the MSQ to [email protected] and I'll have a look over it. A lot of people with identical set-ups think they can run the same tables, this is totally wrong.

I'm not a real business or anything, nor am I bonded so you may be more comfortable using TDR.

Honestly, I don't care about your business affiliation but I appreciate you being forthcoming in that regard. What I really care about is knowing that I am getting my car tuned by someone with valuable experience and the know-how to make my car run good under a variety of conditions. If that's you then I don't really care if you are officially a business so long as you treat me fair and have legitimate expertise. I have experience with high horsepower turbo cars and I have indirectly worked with some of the "big dogs" in the local tuning world, so I have fairly high standards with regard to what I expect a tuner to be able to do, yet I am also very realistic. I will email you soon. Thanks for your input. I really appreciate it.

I would be happy to email you the LINK install and tuning PDFs if you ever feel like banging your head against the wall
    Anyone here ever use Hondata? After having experienced Hondata, using the Link ECU was like going back in time. The Link ECU was neat in the sense that it was better than your garden variety piggy backs, but it really is pretty dated. I had Titan motorsports in Orlando tune my Miata the first go around (I used to live there) and they hated using Datalog Lab.

No, you don't know what you are talking about. For the link install, several changes are made to the stock wiring harness, including modifications to the injector harness for sequential injection, and changing around a couple pins on the harness where it plugs in to the ECU. If the MSPNP is designed to simply replace the stock ECU, LINk users would need to undo several of these changes, unless you can change the programming to accommodate the wiring changes. either way, it is not plug it in and go for us. We also already have a "real IAT", so I am interested to know if the MS one uses the same voltages, or if it can be programmed to accept the one we have.
    The IAT on my Link ecu was fairly ghetto. Haha. I suppose it did the truck but it was not the most elegant solution I've ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brg View Post
    His MS2 boxes ate totally PNP. People who can't get ACT working properly lack effort, not knowledge. Tuner Studio is phenomenal.
    I'll go ahead and date myself here: I remember when the MSPNP originally came out, and I believe Tuner Studio wasn't around. Mega Log Viewer or something? I forget..like I said, I never really bothered looking into it because it's not a priority to me. But back then NOBODY said AC would work on anything but the PNP. That was my sticking point from day-one: I wanted to build my own just for the sake of building my own (I'm a nerd like that), but I needed my AC. Oh well, one day. Thanks for the input thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.E.G. View Post
    The IAT on my Link ecu was fairly ghetto. Haha. I suppose it did the truck but it was not the most elegant solution I've ever seen.
    It may look ghetto, but it works well. I'm supercharged so I drilled out a spot for it inside my dummy throttle body. Replacing it with something different would be a PITA. The again, I would probably have a better chance reselling the LINK if I had it to include.

I had Titan motorsports in Orlando tune my Miata the first go around (I used to live there) and they hated using Datalog Lab.
    How long ago were you in Orlando? I moved from there almost 2 years ago to the date. I knew a few people that got tuned at Titan (not Miatas though).

It may look ghetto, but it works well. I'm supercharged so I drilled out a spot for it inside my dummy throttle body. Replacing it with something different would be a PITA. The again, I would probably have a better chance reselling the LINK if I had it to include.
    Agreed and disagreed.

The IAT setup for the LINK on a turbo car is ghetto. No way about it - you have to poke a hole in a rubber line, run the wires through, then 100% seal a rubber line with two wires coming out of it. Horrible execution. And God forbid you pinch/cut one of those wires - you'll be full boost, then get practically thrown through the windshield when it suddenly reads 100°C and makes the car almost impossible to drive until you can rewire, and thus reseal, the thing. Good times

Selling the LINK as complete as you can get is the best/only way to sell it for sure. My big issue will be that I cut the trace on the board to get it to read my WBO2. I'm not selling it with my WBO2 setup, and I honestly have no clue how/if it works without one after you cut that trace. But I wasn't even thinking to bother salvaging the IAT and knock sensor and things, knowing that nobody would even look at buying it without all that. Not that the knock sensors have ever worked for more than a day..I digress.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob® View Post
    How long ago were you in Orlando? I moved from there almost 2 years ago to the date. I knew a few people that got tuned at Titan (not Miatas though).
    I moved back to Texas in the summer of 07. I can't believe it has been that long. Where at in Orlando did you live? Orlando sucks balls, right? I hated that place. Haha.

Driver

Mr.brg...I would like in on this MS group buy...pm me the info pls thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsrturbo View Post
    Mr.brg...I would like in on this MS group buy...pm me the info pls thanks
    I'll make a thread about it when I get closer to ordering. I still have to get my van and trailer first.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

Where at in Orlando did you live? Orlando sucks balls, right? I hated that place. Haha.
    I was actually in Oviedo, literally 3-4 miles from UCF for about 6 months, then Apopka for just about 5 months. I worked in Sanford (still technically based there). I was there 11 months and I couldn't stand it. Winters were gorgeous, don't get me wrong, but that was just about the only positive thing about the place. That and maybe the street racing scene (not on highways...the organized one). Most of my mother's family lives in Orlando/Winter Park (and my parents live in Eustis), but I still kind of cringe at the thought of when I have to go out there for work/family trips - I just dislike the area that much.

Well guys, I spoke with mr brg at length and he really knows his stuff. I would definitely recommend him to tune your Megasquirt. However, after careful consideration I have decided to go with the AEM ems. I will let you all know how that goes.

If anyone needs a brand new Megasquirt plug and play for a 90-93 Miata, hit me up.

Driver

Can you pass inspection with the AEM EMS? That was my concern when looking at it... (CELs)

How much I'm in the market for one.
    2004 Saturn Ion Redline
    Wrong Wheel Drive
    1992 Grey MX-5
    Right Wheel Drive
    http://profile.imageshack.us/user/jeepinbanditride

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast