Thread: suspension trouble

Default suspension trouble

Hello all,

While driving home this evening, my 94's right front tire happened to find it's way into a small crater on 35 heading into downtown Dallas.

After nearly bouncing my way into the next lane, I stopped to check the damage. Nothing hanging down. In fact everything seems to have stayed in tact. But,.... I know there's always a but... That corner is extremely 'mushy'. There's a noticeable 1-2 bounces after giving it a good vertical jolt, unlike the other side. Not quite the firmness of FM springs and AGX's set to 4. I have know idea what this could have done to the shock.

Can you blow out a shock?? If so, I'll need to replace it. This leads to my next question. Assuming the shock is waste, would it hurt greatly to replace just that single shock, or do I neeed to replace by the pair.

The spring looks to be fine, along with the A-arm, sways, etc...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff

Sounds like a blow-out to me. I would probably lean toward replacing them as a pair, but that's just my anal-retentive nature.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Sounds like a blown shock to me.

How I replaced them would depend on how many miles you have on the current ones. If they're relatively new (<20k), you can probably get by with replacing just one. Any older than that and I'd tend towards buying a pair as well.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I would move the AGX shock setting around and see if the valve is still working. If it is acting differently after trying that out then I would look to replace the shock. It might be able to be revalved or resealed, but my guess is that the cost is going to be similar to the $80 for the shock. I would only replace the one shock unless they are significantly old.
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

I'm with TC on replacing them as a pair. You don't want one new shock and one possibly weaker shock on the car. It will affect handling.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Thanks for the replies all. I also thought it would be best to replace as a pair. I will adjust the settings a bit to see if that helps for the short term. I'll start my hunt for two new AGX's as well.

Thanks again guys..

Jeff

Don't forget the Lifetime Warranty, but per KYB:
    Occasionally, a consumer may request that a pair of shocks be replaced when only one of the units is worn out or defective. KYB's warranty only covers the worn-out or defective unit, and will not honor the claim for the good unit.

I agree with Screw! Unless the miles are really high, I'd just buy one, but play with the settings and determine it's really blown.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Well, I adjusted the shock to 6 and for the first mile, I think I noticed a slight difference. Then, it was bouncing all over the place. With 40+K miles on the shocks, I'm gonna go ahead and replace both fronts.

I need this to be done soon unfortunately. Anyone know of a reputable shop in the Dallas/Arlington area for shock replacement? Heck, where to buy these outside of e-bay for that matter.

Thanks again guys. What a great group!

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jmcshiner
    Well, I adjusted the shock to 6 and for the first mile, I think I noticed a slight difference. Then, it was bouncing all over the place. With 40+K miles on the shocks, I'm gonna go ahead and replace both fronts.

I need this to be done soon unfortunately. Anyone know of a reputable shop in the Dallas/Arlington area for shock replacement? Heck, where to buy these outside of e-bay for that matter.

Jeff
    Buy them from eBay and swap it out at a tech day.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by jmcshiner

Jeff
    If they're on FM springs, I'll be happy to help you swap them... It's about a 2 hour job for the fronts and fairly painless. The only local KYB shops appear to be in the Hurst area, looking at their web site. FM ships them pretty quickly, but they're not the cheapest source. Dunno if shuhart1 has a hook-up for KYB's or not.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Thanks tailchaser, very much appreciated! Do you know if this swap would require new bumpstops? Or can I just swap out shock for shock and retain the current bumpstops? I know nothing about shock replacement obviously.

BTW, I picked up the Colin McRae bundle...Kick ars game! Hope to get 'live' this weekend.

I'll let you know if I need the help. I'm kinda in a bind with the car and currently HAVE to drive it daily. Going to work is gonna suck tomorrow.

Jeff