Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Equipe Rapide Challenge Cup #8 October 16th, 2011

I'll be there. Don't mind me, I'm in a bitchy mood. But do all the heavy cornering sections have to be on the cheese grater sections of the course? With so much room it seems like we could do drastically different courses rather than continue to follow the same trends.

I probably wouldn't care if I had another set of Kumhos or ran street tires. But Hoosiers do not like the rough stuff. I'm sure I will enjoy it and I'm sure it will be a great course. Just saying.
    C5 Base Daily Driven Beater
    Borrowed 1M
    (2017 B-Street Pro Solo Champion)

Jeremy Foley

Quote Originally Posted by ratt_finkel View Post
    I'll be there. Don't mind me, I'm in a bitchy mood. But do all the heavy cornering sections have to be on the cheese grater sections of the course? With so much room it seems like we could do drastically different courses rather than continue to follow the same trends.

I probably wouldn't care if I had another set of Kumhos or ran street tires. But Hoosiers do not like the rough stuff. I'm sure I will enjoy it and I'm sure it will be a great course. Just saying.
    My Goodyears hate the rough stuff too. But I use an old set at MW because if I use a new set they become an old set after one event. I give up a second or so a lap but on 80-90 second courses I can still be competitive. I save the good tires for the other venues.

If we don't pick up the number of registrations, it will become a drastically shorter course anyway so we have enough workers to cover it.
    When I tried to use the site differently at PMS, I caught hell. I tried to use this site in the most common lines... :)

Seriously, there are several new places at MW that have deteriorated, so its risky to take the course through them. Some of the other areas that are ok have gone unused for so long that they have a fair amount of grass growing through the cracks and accumulating gravel; enough to pose a hazard to mod cars. JJ and I went and scouted the site a few weeks ago and found some areas we'd like to encourage clubs to use more so that they can be brought back up to good condition, but it will need to wait for a high-attendance event so that we can a "sweeper team" to clear the buildup of gravel.

I wasn't willing to try to do anything too radical on this design. That will need to wait until I'm a little more established (and experienced) as a designer.

I think the course (assuming it gets run as currently designed) is more open than it looks and should be easier on tires than is typical fore MW. I will keep the Hoosier issues in mind on future MW designs.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

I don't think anyone has ever produced any empirical data suggesting that Mineral Wells eats tires any faster than any other site. True your tires will wear 3 times as fast but the course is 3 times as long. My hypothesis is that the grippiest surface wears the tires fastest.
    Andy Cost
    Humble Servant - Equipe Rapide

I think that the coarse nature of the MW shows more abuse. If you look at race slicks like mine at MW they are very torn up after one event. After an event at the Bus Lot they are polished almost smooth. Pennington and Lone Star are in the middle, closer to the Bus Lot. I definitely think MW is harder on tires because of the surface not the distance as you propose Andy.

I love 15" street tires.

I think i'm going to make this one. I'm guessing ER still follows SCCA classing, with which I used to get murdered in CSP. But does a lightweight flywheel bump me out, or can I still get killed in CSP? I still have my CSP magnets so that would be a plus for me.

Suspension, motor mounts, steering wheel, 15x8s, with a torsen.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Quote Originally Posted by ratt_finkel View Post
    Blah blah blah... I'm angry because my 3000 pound, 400 whp, AWD car eats expensive tires. I drive all over the country competing, but even when my co-driver cherry picks other classes we can't win them as fast as we chew them up. Will someone please consider my multi-thousand dollar annual tire budget when designing these stupid courses?
    Fixed that for you, J-Fo.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Lmfao! Nicely done Iain!
    C5 Base Daily Driven Beater
    Borrowed 1M
    (2017 B-Street Pro Solo Champion)

Jeremy Foley

Glad you saw the humor in it. Just having some fun with ya.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I'm guessing ER still follows SCCA classing
    What is your goal? If you only want to win a trophy then enter in A-Mod, D-Prepared, D-Mod, or E-Mod. You will be the only one in your class.
    Andy Cost

He saw the humor in it. He also hopes you'll see the humor in what he's doing to your car in the parking lot right now. Oops, I ruined the surprise!

@ TXCoyote - I think you both have points, but just because your tires are worn evenly at PMS doesn't mean you aren't scrubbing off a ton of rubber. I agree that MW seems to take chunks out of tires more, and generally is harder on tires. I suspect it is more pronounced on softer R-comps.

Surprisingly, after the last NTAXS event on brand new RS3's, there were still "flames" showing on my tires after 8 runs.
    Polished Turd Racing

Quote Originally Posted by nomadtrash View Post
    What is your goal? If you only want to win a trophy then enter in A-Mod, D-Prepared, D-Mod, or E-Mod. You will be the only one in your class.
    My goal is to have fun and drive the piss out of my car. I'm not going to be fast at all, I haven't autocrossed in 4 years, just want to get back into it.

Debating between this event and the NTXAS on Saturday.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

The NTAXS is a good warm-up for the real thing on Sunday.
    Andy Cost

NTAXS this weekend= more short runs (8+) @ TMS
    ER this weekend= fewer long runs (6) w/ Rapid Pax @ MW

Your safest choice is to do both. I am!
    Polished Turd Racing

Wife is almost 8 months pregnant, and my 18 month old is too heavy and squirmy for her to (safely) lift... I'm lucky i'm getting one day free, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by nomadtrash View Post
    There is at least on entrant in E-mod but I guess I am going too fast for you to see me Andy

I was confused and thought you were skipping out because of the surface. I would like to retract my comment about E-Mod being a slam dunk for a trophy. I'll revise to say that the E-Mod driver may show up on old slicks that are so hard that they wouldn't even smoke in a burnout contest and is 100% certain to spin out on every run.
    Andy Cost

I will be there. I think you should sign up for E-Mod. You need a trophy! And the over under for spins is 2.

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    @ TXCoyote - I think you both have points, but just because your tires are worn evenly at PMS doesn't mean you aren't scrubbing off a ton of rubber. I agree that MW seems to take chunks out of tires more, and generally is harder on tires. I suspect it is more pronounced on softer R-comps.

Surprisingly, after the last NTAXS event on brand new RS3's, there were still "flames" showing on my tires after 8 runs.
    MM,

At the bus lot or pennington or even lone star it is heat cycles that make the rubber harder over time not tire wear. At MW the wear on the tires is visible and decidedly uneven. You can see it from run to run. Race tires are even more prone to this than DOT R's When I ran DOT R's last year at MW the wear was very manageable. MW pretty much ruins a set of race tires in one event, maybe two at most. That's why running older tires is more cost effective. It probably costs me a second or more but on an 80-90 second course I can try to find a way to make it up. Or I could drive like Andy and not go fast enough to spin

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast