Thread: Brake -Break-in

Default Brake -Break-in

I posted this on the pointy board but no one responded. Can y'all help out?

I have new rotors from Adreneline Racing and new Hawk HPS brake pads I will be installing.

I'm not keen on bedding the pads in until the rotor have a few miles on them and any protective coating is burned off.

Am I crazy or should I bed in my pads like I normally do? Normally I slowly increase speed and pressure of braking immediately after installing.

2 - 15mph stops
    2 - 30mph harder stops
    2 - 50mph thresh hold stops
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Why not hit the rotors with some abrasive material before installation?

You need to clean that stuff off before you install anything!!!

With the last set of rotors I got it recommended cleaning the packing spray off with soap and water. I'd imagine brake cleaner would also do a good job, that's what I used. Whenever I work on the brakes I always hose everything down with brake cleaner to make certain everything is clean and oil free!

You need to get a few hundred miles on those new brakes before MSR, to ensure the pads are bedded, otherwise you can get hot spots, which can lead to premature rotor or pad failure!

Also!!! Use the OEM front & rear clip on shims if available the ones from Hawk seem to like to come unglued!

See the post : Aw now what! (Front Brakes) in this section for more info!

droptop, I picked up a full set of rotors and Axxis Ultimate pads from Adrenaline Racing a few months ago. I scuffed the actual friction surface up with some medium grit sandpaper, sprayed the rotors liberally with brake parts cleaner, installed them and the new pads, and then headed out to bed them in, following basically the same procedure you outlined. Worked just fine for me.

BTW, I agree with the advice regarding Hawk pads & OEM shims - I've had a couple of Hawk shims "walk" on the backside of the pads like POS did. Strangely, I've never had the same problem using Hawk pads on other cars.

I've got to say that's one of the things i really like about the Axxis pads - integrated shims that are bonded to the backside of the pads.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Where can I get some OEM Shims? I called Trussville and they have only the front hardware kit (which I assume comes with shims).

Getting miles on the car won't be a problem My daily commute is about 75 miles a day.

I have plenty of brake cleaner and sand paper so I'll scuff them up and cleaned them good. Any particular scuff pattern? All one direction?
    ...and across the line.

Quote Originally Posted by droptop
    Where can I get some OEM Shims? I called Trussville and they have only the front hardware kit (which I assume comes with shims).
    I just bought the front kit for mine installed the shims Friday night, the parts were less than $10.00, the other hardware is the clips that the pads ride in not a bad ideal to replace them also!

I have plenty of brake cleaner and sand paper so I'll scuff them up and cleaned them good. Any particular scuff pattern? All one direction?
    If they are new they should be ready to install once you have cleaned them off! But if must put a light random pattern on the rotor, don't get medieval on them just scuff them lightly.

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    I've got to say that's one of the things i really like about the Axxis pads - integrated shims that are bonded to the backside of the pads.
    Oh Ah! Bling Bling! That's a nice feature!

I'll order a new front hardware kit and hope for the best in the rear. I think the rotors look like they are already lightly scuffed.
    ...and across the line.

I'll order a new front hardware kit and hope for the best in the rear.
    I guess you missed this :
    Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing

I'll order a new front hardware kit and hope for the best in the rear.
    I guess you missed this :
    I guess you missed this:

I have new rotors from Adreneline Racing and new Hawk HPS brake pads I will be installing.
    ...and across the line.

Good point! Is this your first ever do it yourself brake job?

I don't use brake parts cleaner anymore, it eats paint quicker than brake fluid!

I touched up my EBC rotors with some high temp paint and let dry for two days. One little splash of cleaner made all the paint run.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Nope. My first new rotor install though. Now your report of the Sliding Shims (Great band BTW) has me nervous.

Again, any idea where I can get a rear brake hardware kit or does someone have some old shims?
    ...and across the line.

Nope. My first new rotor install though. Now your report of the Sliding Shims (Great band BTW) has me nervous.

Again, any idea where I can get a rear brake hardware kit or does someone have some old shims?
    If you have OEM pads you should already have the shims, they can be reused. Just make sure to scrape of the crappy lee press on shims Hawk supplies!

If you have OEM pads you should already have the shims, they can be reused. Just make sure to scrape of the crappy lee press on shims Hawk supplies!
    Nope. I have some aftermarket pads on there and I don't think the shims were reused as they alread had some stuck on ones. Doh!
    ...and across the line.

Make some cardboard cutouts, that should work fine.

Chris