Thread: Police Tahoe

Default Police Tahoe

I am thinking about a Police Tahoe as a tow vehicle. Thoughts? How do I find one at a police auction?
    M3 is always the answer.

Rene Bates Auctions - http://www.renebates.com

Lots of local municipalities use these guys.

http://www.renebates.com/cgi-bin/mnl...6/category/SUV

I bet they have them parked at the police station... I can distract them while you hot wire it.

Learn from those who came before you: buy a diesel the first time, instead of buying twice. Excursions and various Super Duty pickups are plentiful and cheap these days. J-Fo just dumped the Escalade for a Cummins Dodge quad cab. They just pull better. Can't you round-up some german diesel of some kind? X5d/etc/etc?
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

x5d has a tow rating of 6000 lbs
    Polished Turd Racing

Problem solved.

You can thank me later.
    Last edited by OZMDD; 10-31-2011 at 09:36 PM.
    Polished Turd Racing

What's the cost to install a junkyard tranny when the first time you pull with it you finish the damage started by the police department? There have to be better ways to pick these things up...
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Chevy trannys are reasonably cheap, and easy to get swapped. This is KenO you are talking about. He buys M3 hoods just for fun.
    Polished Turd Racing

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    What's the cost to install a junkyard tranny when the first time you pull with it you finish the damage started by the police department? There have to be better ways to pick these things up...
    But its It's got a cop motor, it's got cop tires, cop suspensions, cop shocks.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    You're right. It's no big deal the tranny fluid smells like burning...
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Polished Turd Racing

But no one has more experience with Trannies than ken o.... Oh wait. Nevermind.

Maybe we can demo them at the auction... I wanna play tug of war with one... That would be great on youtube...

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    Learn from those who came before you: buy a diesel the first time, instead of buying twice. Excursions and various Super Duty pickups are plentiful and cheap these days. J-Fo just dumped the Escalade for a Cummins Dodge quad cab. They just pull better. Can't you round-up some german diesel of some kind? X5d/etc/etc?
    ^^^ This ^^^

Just spend $15-20k on the nicest full-size diesel pickup you can find and be done with it. The LAST thing I would want for a tow vehicle would be an ex-cop car.

I assume you'll be keeping the newer M3 as a daily driver?
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post

Just spend $15-20k on the nicest full-size diesel pickup you can find and be done with it. The LAST thing I would want for a tow vehicle would be an ex-cop car.
    and call me next week when you realize your feet/head/whatever won't fit and I'll buy it for twofitty.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

When is the last time you saw a broken down cop car/fire truck/ambulance?
    The are usually super well maintained, and not flogged any harder than your average autox car.
    I'd do it in a sec.

And about needing the biggest stomper tow rig, what the hell are y'all hauling?

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    what the hell are y'all hauling?
    Ass.

I have to disagree with Rogue on that one. I see DPD cars driven like they are stolen constantly. Jack rabbit starts, riding the brakes, throwing them into park while moving or into D when still rolling backwards. You don't see them broken down because they take them in/out of the motor pool several times daily, so easy to swap cars. Talking to a guy I know that sells them parts, he says they often get less than a year on the tranny between rebuilds. Most have been swapped so many times that the tranny #'s don't even match.Granted, this is a massive city department and many smaller departments might take great care of their vehicles, but I think I'd be more inclined to trust an ex-rental car.
    Polished Turd Racing