Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: blew my timing belt, accessory belt, and radiator hose...

Well on a positive note, your clutch might be perfectly ok
    Last edited by Rob®; 10-18-2011 at 11:01 AM.

I hope it's a simple fix! Sorry to hear this.
    I'm with Rob, this could've easily been the culprit for your issues.
    '01 Miata. Silver/Red Stripes. HDHCDD
    '13 Mazda2. Spirited Green.

You guys could be right. Also it's probably a good thing it didn't fail on course at WOT. Seems like it's a common problem associated with botched timing belt jobs..improper torque.

I think I got lucky judging by some of the photos I've seen. I'll have to bust it completely down to make sure, but I think the locktite fix is in order. Anyone have a harmonic balancer and the 'cog' (timing gear) laying around? Mine may be reusable, but I think i'd rather replace them. The bolt i'll get new.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

I wouldn't even consider reusing that gear (I'm in the camp of replacing when you do a timing belt though...stupid Z habits).

Same with the belt, but I can't imagine you'd reuse that if you have a new one waiting already.

Chassis Designer

I'll probably go that direction tonight. Let me know if you'd like for me to stop by.

When was the last time you changed the water pump? you are practically there, it may be something else to consider.

i know i'll be checking mine this weekend just for fun..
    95 r white

I have a water pupm ready to go in. After I compete the damage assesment I plan to overhaul as much as I can while I'm in thereJake. Ill just be tearing down more tonight so swing my if you're in the area. Ill pm you my address.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Can someone look at these photos? Looks like i'm one tooth off on the intake cam.I count 20 teeth between marks and the intake is off just a hair. I don't see how it could have jumped a tooth given the belt is tight as a drum and the car has been running perfectly fine before monday.

Actually come to think of it the idle went haywire and the car seemed to rocket off the light with minimal gas right before it died. But if the failure existed at the crank, how did the intake(or exhaust) cam jump a tooth? Wouldn't it be more logical that the crank be off? I dunno, just thinking outloud. Anyway, the photos...

The damage.

I've seen worse locktite fixes on Miata.net, so locktite it is. If anyone has experience with this fix that is available thursday, that's when i'll be taking off work to put this mess back together.

Driver

You sure the 1.8l should have 20 teeth between the cams? I know a 1.6l is 19 teeth. Pretty sure the 1.8 is the same..it's been awhile though, so I would triple check that online.

Also, did you rotate the crank after you lined everything up? You need to get it all lined up, then rotate it all the way around again to make sure everything is still lined up, then rotate more for the tensioner part.

^ That's what I was saying (well maybe I didn't say it well, I had greasy fingers) I count 20 teeth, unless i'm counting wrong. From what I read there's supposed to be 19 teeth. This was the old belt before removing it, and there are 20 teeth, looks like it jumped a tooth when things went bad.

I couldn't rotate anything with the crank because the crank was free spinning inside the timing gear without the key present. I just removed the belt, and gear. I'll make sure everything is at TDC when installing the new belt. For now I still have to pull the cam gears to get to the WP.

LOL...yeah, completely forgot you're still just tearing down. For some bone headed reason I thought you put the belt back on and had 20 teeth. Sorry..it's early.

not to get away from the timing belt problems. I had a coolant leak like 3 weeks ago and I think it is the same hose you have leaking. Mine came out of the rear of the engine and ran under the intake. I couldn't fallow it after that. It was leaking at the coupling holding it to the back of the engine so I just pulled it off and cut it clean, added a straight through and ran another hose to the rear of the engine from there. It's working so far. I needed a quick fix and I know that the hose is old and might start leaking again but if that happens I will deal with it.
    '94 Miata "M Edition" - sold
    '99 Miata w/td05

WTH... what else is going to go wrong with this project.

Cam pulley bolt. I set the torque to ~40lbs per miata.net. Exhaust bolt went on fine. Intake bolt, something never felt right, never got even close to tight, then felt really loose all the sudden. I immediately stopped and backed it out slowly. Guess i'm lucky really, but now i'm sourcing a replacement. I'm going to replace both in case the other one is damaged as well.

Could over torquing on a previous job do this? I don't think I ever came close to 40lbs during this whole job.
    ???

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggerachi View Post
    Could over torquing on a previous job do this? I don't think I ever came close to 40lbs during this whole job.
    ???
    Yep.... Make sure you double check everything.

Driver

Whoa.. Go buy a lottery ticket!

So after an hour of cursing and banging knuckles, i'm 100% convinced that there is no way to actually get this *%$#@$*&^#@*&@*!@$!^%^#*^$#@@!@^ing oil cooler hose off. There is NO WAY this thing is coming off without setting fire and burning it off. Much less putting the new one back on...

Has anyone ever actually changed this blasted thing, because Im not convinced it's ever been done on an installed engine in the history of miata wrenching. I'm about to pull the intake manifold unless someone can tell me it's possible otherwise.

I have two of the super long needle nose plyers, one is curved at the end. After an hour I've only been able to mangle the clip and tear the neck of the hose off at the clip. anyone have experience with this cursed thing?

Yep been there done that... Move the clip out of the way then just cut the hose off the bib.

Then throw it across the yard it will make you feel better!

Success!! Man those hoses were a PITA. Yes I threw them both across the yard.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast