Thread: Vacuum line fittings and EVAP system fittings where to buy?

Default Vacuum line fittings and EVAP system fittings where to buy?

Chasing down a large evap system leak on a 2001 Jeep Cherokee. Already tried the new gas cap, twice and no dice so didnt get lucky. This thing has a gazillion rubber fittings in the evap system. Lots of plastic hose as well in the engine compartment. Everything I read on the net suggests it is typically one of the rubber connectors in the engine bay or a rubber splice piece under the Jeep near the evap cannister that has cracked over time. I'll just replace all the rubber fittings and be done with it but where do you even buy this stuff? I've looked at VatoZone and O'reilly's but all they have are little general purpose assorted packs of plastic type fittings.

You can go to the dealer ($$..been there with a few Jeeps) or get the generic packs like you are talking about. Check out a NAPA - they usually will sell you individual pieces and have a much better assortment to dig through.

The plastic hose is the same deal - just pick up a roll in the size you need. Otherwise you can usually replace sections with an appropriately sized rubber/silicone line instead. You can even use the rubber/silicone line as a splice on the existing plastic line if you don't feel like replacing (or can't easily get to) both ends of the plastic hose.

Went to the AZ here by the office a few minutes ago and they had a bigger selection. Not great but I just bought about 3 or 4 packages of different assorted fittings and splices for $20. Hoping they work good enough.

i havent "explored" the slices back by the evap canister yet or even the canister itself yet. Someone told me they are pretty much known to cause issues at that point on the Cherokees.

I replaced every last bit of all that with generic tubes, hoses, and fittings on my 2001 Wrangler (sold to a friend of mine a few years ago - she never said the CEL came on). Replaced about 7/8 of all that on my mom's 2004 Liberty a few years ago and she hasn't had any issues since. Replaced every last line on a friend's 199x Cherokee in NY - no reports of issues. Way back in the day I used to replace lots of those lines/fittings for customers at a shop I worked at. Some wanted OE pieces ($$) and others just wanted a cheap fix - the generic stuff worked like a charm. So you should be good to go.

Found a cracked rubber splice on a larger line that goes back to the evap canister. It's at the base of the firewall on the driver's side. There is a metal line coming down from the engine bay, and a plastic line running along the bottom back to the evap canister. Where it makes the bend to head back there is a rubber splice and that was cracked, hard and brittle. Replaced it but the light is still on after driving the 40 miles to work this morning. There is a smaller line with a rubber splice right at the same point. It didnt looked cracked etc but is semi-loose. I am goiing to buy a piece of hose at lunch and swap it out. I guess after I replace everything the light may go off and stay off. :)