Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Off-season mods for 2012 season

Quote Originally Posted by jbh View Post
    How much weight savings?
    Feels like 5-ish lbs.
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

I plan to install new radiator hoses. You know, the non-leaky kind...
    Mark Wortham
    SS #197 - 2004 Chevrolet Corvette Z06

Installed new front lower-arm joints, front upper-arm joint dust covers, and a new tie-rod end for my bad one. I will probably install the shifter bushing kit on Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    Installed new front lower-arm joints, front upper-arm joint dust covers, and a new tie-rod end for my bad one. I will probably install the shifter bushing kit on Friday.
    Wow, the front end really feels tight, now. Definitely worth the time and effort.

Vorshlag will be installing diff bushings, tie rods, subframe reinforcements, and other maintenance stuff on the e46 M3.
    Getting ready for NASA TT and AX season.
    M3 is always the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by mwortham View Post
    You know, the non-leaky kind...
    I was told you want fluids to leak....

Quote Originally Posted by slowchildmiata View Post
    I was told you want fluids to leak....
    That's mostly for Italian cars. They charge extra for the "garage floor rust inhibitor".

New shifter bushings in. The shifter is much smoother, now.

All cosmetic stuff is now done...pictures forthcoming. Now working on aero, and heat management in the engine compartment.

Done:
    Diff Bushings (did them on the car)
    Single piece radiator return hose
    14mm Rear Sway
    Header

Still to do
    Swap LC1 for AEM Wideband (just arrived in the mail /cheer)
    Install Xidas
    Corner balance
    Align
    Install winch in the trailer

Old Header - completely broken on the 2>1 collector and the flange at the back was broken about 80% of the way around.

[IMG] IMG_0078 by clkearns, on Flickr[/IMG]

New Header

[IMG] IMG_0091 by clkearns, on Flickr[/IMG]

The Stahl header is nothing short of a work of art. The fit is perfect and the primaries were polished and port matched. Quality Powder Coating in Carrollton did the ceramic coating.

That's really beautiful. Since my header was mild steel and JetHot coated in a silver matte finish, I opted to try and reduce underhood temps as much as possible. If mine looked that good, I'd have to have it exposed too!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Polished Turd Racing

Winch install and wideband swap complete and tested.

The old header had a TRD header blanket on it, but with this one being ceramic and looking all shiny/racy along with the intake mods and extraction hood being added last fall, I've left it off. The extraction hood and insulated air box with naca intake should solve any intake air temp problems before they start. Sitting in the garage the temps are only a few degrees above ambient. The magic really happens when the car is moving though.

Another 6-7 pounds of stuff (brackets, shields, motor mount cups, header blanket, etc.) removed. I'm probably going to cage the car next winter, and by then I should still be able to make 2175 with driver on the scales if weight keeps coming off at this rate. As it is, I'm back to using fuel for ballast again already (weight with driver is down from 2360 back in June), and the bumpers haven't been attacked yet.

Also fiddled with the hitch height on the truck to get the trailer leveled out better. Installed air bags on the tow rig about a month ago, and now level and ride height on the back of the truck can be controlled with about 10 pounds of air once the weight distribution bars are hooked up. 10PSI with no trailer, 30PSI with trailer empty, 40PSI with trailer and a track ready load out.

XIDAs and alignment/setup tools should be here this week.

The final bit will be to have a new collector > midpipe piece made up with mandrel bent aluminized pipe.

Xida ClubSports, header, midpipe, muffler, and ordered a megasquirt. Haven't been to the track with any of these updates yet, can't wait!
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green
    Looking for my next car...

Finally, some pics! Here's my concept...

And here's what it looks like so far...

That looks great. I really like it!
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Wow, looks good, Chris!

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Looks cool. What did you use to do the graphics mock up?
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Old skool...I used MS Publisher. I found the "line art" on the inter-web and added stuff (lines, boxes, etc) on top of it. I then save it as a picture.

RX7 has the engine undergoing it's rebuild and is at the cheap paint shop. Stalker is awaiting arrival of the Wilwood front brakes and installation of Aero bits.

My old side-skirts look much better on your car! Nice concept and execution.
    Polished Turd Racing

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast