Thread: PSA of the day - fire preparedness

Default PSA of the day - fire preparedness

If you track your car, you really should at the very least mount a 2.5lb fire extinguisher in the cockpit where it is easily accessible. It's been on my to do list for awhile... but unfortunately I waited too long.

While I was at MSR this past Saturday, the oil filter backed off its mount just enough to spew oil onto the exhaust manifold. This was part of the result.

Fire services responded very quickly, but it still took them ~1-2 minutes to arrive on scene. If I'd had a perosnal extinguisher, I could probably have minimized the damage.

For now it looks like the car is repairable. The engine harness is toast, as are the underhood insulation and most of the sensors on the valve cover. I do not know if there was any engine damage yet, I will hopefully find out this weekend after I've had a chance to replace the harness.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Holy crap, sorry to see that. Hope everything is ok. I have a great paint shop once you get the mechanical stuff figured out.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

I saw a that on facebook, I'm sorry man. I guess its probably time for me to man-up and get a real fire bottle for my car. I changed every rubber hose to braided SS and wrapped it in fire-sleeve along with the harness...this is validation of my $400 is BS hoses.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

Damn that sucks and I think I just moved that mod up on my list! I hope you get it back on the road soon.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Haruki Murakami

Not to seem like I'm telling you how to mod your car, but that's not exactly what they mean by "smoked" taillights...
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

^^^ Too soon??

That sucks Iain. I assume you towed it home?

I have a fire extinguisher in my car, but I bet I'd have taken it out for the track. Time to mount it permanently.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    Not to seem like I'm telling you how to mod your car, but that's not exactly what they mean by "smoked" taillights...
    I was going for a DIY flame job.

The big thing is no one was hurt. Cars can be repaired. But I won't be back on track again without a fire extinguisher in the car (and an ASM filter bracket).
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Is the filter issue a Honda/S2K thing, or is it more common that I'm aware of?
    Polished Turd Racing

Mick wrote: "I think Jerrett is the best autocrosser I have ever seen naked."

Quote Originally Posted by OZMDD View Post
    Is the filter issue a Honda/S2K thing, or is it more common that I'm aware of?
    Gabkwong was telling me last night that a similar thing happened to another S2000 at MSR a while back when he was there. The oil filter separated while the car was on the track.
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD
    2006 Red NC - GT with limited slip, HIDs, all OEM.

Does your insurance have an off road exclusion? This would be covered under comp coverage if it does not.

I'm not even going to bother the insurance company with it. It happened on the track, I'll take responsibility for it.

Like I always say, if you can't afford to push it off a cliff, you really have no business taking it to the track. Shit happens, and this is a prime example. I'm very anal retentive about vehicular maintenance, but I was unaware that this could happen. I will be adding an oil filter retainer to the car before I hit the track again.

Mike, apparently it's a known issue with the F20/F22 Honda engines because they operate at very high RPMs and do not have a balance shaft.
    Iain

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    I'm not even going to bother the insurance company with it. It happened on the track, I'll take responsibility for it.
    Your position is admirable, but why not? I understand this happened at the track, but it could have just as easily happened on the way home. If it were to have happened then I would imagine it would have burned to the ground while waiting on the fire department to respond. I agree with you that if you go four wheels off and hit a wall that's not the insurance companies responsibility, but I see this as something different. I know your insurance company would appreciate your act of good will, but I doubt they will even send you a Christmas card.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Haruki Murakami

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    You may change your mind once you find out exactly how much its gonna cost to fix........You pay your premiums, use your coverage.....or not.

Just get an engine harness and a good soldering iron, it might not be that bad. It might be worth calling the insurance company and telling them it happened in an "non-timed event" and was not a collision issue. They may cover it. Just do not put yourself in a situation where you defraud.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Sorry to see that Iain, but glad no one was hurt.

One of the big things Honda used to be big on was oil filter flex. They say the exterior case of oil filters physically flex a good bit when subjected to high pressure. Anyone who has cut open a filter can imagine how much stretch there would be when the thin steel walls are subjected to 100psi of thick hot oil. The big issue with this is that it actually reduces oil pressure as energy is wasted flexing the walls of the filter, but I can also see how it could slowly help loosen a filter as well. Many of 90s type R cars came stock with tiny oil filters and Honda recommended that anyone tracking their car put a band clamp around the filter to reduce flex. I have known a number of guys that run the largest filter they can find to increase capacity and cooling, and their may be something there. Personally I run HAMP filters which are much smaller and built like a tank.

Here is the hamp next to other honda filters:

Hamp is green. The blue honda filter to the left is the good jdm s2k filter.

Another option to the ASM filter bracket is the K&N oil filter which comes pre-drilled for safety wire:

Iain- If you have any iffy panels you would like to fix DIY I have a full complement of body tools you can borrow.