Thread: You want big brakes? I got your big brakes right here!

Default You want big brakes? I got your big brakes right here!

We had a good customer order some brake pads for his "OTM" (Other Than Miata).

It just happens to be a Nissan Skyline GTR.

I thought I'd take some comparison photos to show you the difference compared to standard Miata 1.8 brake pads.

Here is the front pads. Yes that is a Miata FRONT brake pad. The Hawk sticker for reference is 8" long by 2" wide.

Here are the rear pads.

Here are all the pads. Even the GTR's rear pads dwarf our front pads!

Now lets look at the weight difference.

Stock 1.8 Miata pads come in at a svelte 2 1/2 lbs.

The Nissan's are 10 3/4 lbs!

Rear Miata 1.8 pads are a feather weight 1 1/2 lbs.

The 4-wheeled Gozirah's rear pads are 4 3/4 lbs! That's almost twice the weight of the Miatas front pads!

I've never had any issues with stock brakes on the Miata but I am normally aspirated. Can you imagine the performance that requires this kind of stopping force? Simple amazing.

BTW, for comparison, the Miata Big Brake Wilwood pads are about half the size of the Skyline's and weigh in at 2 3/4 lbs.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Reminds me of this photo...

'94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Interesting. Those front pads are huge, I like Jigger's pic.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

I'll have to upload some pics later since I cant do it from my IPad, but the replacement front rotor rings not including the hats or hardware are 23.5lbs each and are 15" in diameter and 1 3/8" thick. Remember this car is heavy but these brakes do work well and will hopefully work better with the Hawk pads.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Haruki Murakami

Quote Originally Posted by Flyin96M View Post
    I'll have to upload some pics later since I cant do it from my IPad, but the replacement front rotor rings not including the hats or hardware are 23.5lbs each and are 15" in diameter and 1 3/8" thick. Remember this car is heavy but these brakes do work well and will hopefully work better with the Hawk pads.
    As large as they are I fully imagined they will detach your retinas!
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Those brakes better be big... that swollen catfish weighs as much as a friggin '67 Cadillac.

BTW... mud cat or channel cat?

'94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    Those brakes better be big... that swollen catfish weighs as much as a friggin '67 Cadillac.
    Hey now! The '67 Cadillac Coupe DeVille weighs in a a svelte 4,460 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Hey now! The '67 Cadillac Coupe DeVille weighs in a a svelte 4,460 lbs.
    What is scary about that is how big the brakes are on that car. I bet it pushes a bit in tight transitions as well.

Brake on it are Huge!

12 x 2-1/2" Brake Drum; Front
    12 x 2-1/2" Brake Drum; Rear

This ain't no Datsun!

Brake on it are Huge!

12 x 2-1/2" Brake Drum; Front
    12 x 2-1/2" Brake Drum; Rear

This ain't no Datsun!
    Stops on a dime.... if it is already stopped.

The '67 Cadillac Coupe DeVille weighs in a a svelte 4,460 lbs.
    The caddy is lighter than a fully loaded Panamera.

Quote Originally Posted by Davidss View Post
    The caddy is lighter than a fully loaded Panamera.
    And looks better as well!

I agree the GT-R is a bit of a boat. It's an amazing piece of engineering that has no soul and barely even needs a driver to go around the track... I don't really understand its appeal to anyone who tracks their car... It's like having a chauffeur.
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green
    Looking for my next car...

Quote Originally Posted by MoonieGT View Post
    I agree the GT-R is a bit of a boat. It's an amazing piece of engineering that has no soul and barely even needs a driver to go around the track... I don't really understand its appeal to anyone who tracks their car... It's like having a chauffeur.
    Have you ever driven a GTR or are just quoting what you have read in magazines? I'm guessing you haven't and you have arrived at your conclusion by believing everything you read...Pitty. You must also believe a Miata is a “Chicks Car”. I'm not saying this car is for everyone, but how do you know until you actually drive one?

I have driven many different exotic cars and you could say that same statement about most of them with the exception of the Carrera GT. The thing is that the limits of cars like this are so much higher that you must push them very hard to explore those limits and when you find them bad things could happen very quickly. So for me I like knowing there is a safety net when that happens. I also like the fact that the stability control has three setting with one being completely off.

You have to look at these cars as what they really are and the GTR is a very capable GT car that does just as well as a DD as it does on the track with little to modification needed. How many cars are able to do that and cost less than $100k? Again for me I was looking for a DD that was reliable and that I could take to the track and beat on from time to time without needing to modify it to the point it was uncomfortable as a DD. Sure a 911 Turbo would have been nice but for my budget there was a very short list of cars that fit my needs.

Sure I love my Miata and I think it does very well at the track now, but with all the modifications I have done to it at this point the street ability has been compromised.

I've ridden in them at MSR but have not driven. It's just not a car that I'm interested in, but that's just my opinion. The abilities of that car are mind boggling. The performance per dollar is astounding. But I think I'd be bored with it in a month. YMMV
    SOLD - '91 BRG
    SOLD -'99 Signal Green
    Looking for my next car...