Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snap-On -- That Good?

Default Snap-On -- That Good?

Are Snap-On Tools all they're cracked up to be? I mean, damn they're expensive. Why does this floor jack cost $219 while the one I own cost $39? I'm sure the Snap-On piece is better/nicer/etc, but holy cow! It's not like I bought utter crap for $39.

Where do you buy your tools? Most of my hand tools are run of the mill Husky. They work well, are economical, and haven't failed me yet. Is there a reason why Joe Consumer should use Snap-On tools?

S.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

99.8% of my screwdrivers, wrenches, ratchets & sockets are Craftsman. Cheap and guaranteed for life. If you're looking for cheap, light floor jacks HF has them on sale now -

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=91039

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=3939

If your a pro and use your tools everyday, for a living I have heard snap on is worth the price. But alas here the snap on truck doesnt make resedential stops so I cant turn in my borken tools. So I buy sears, for the warranty. Its great to break a ratchet and turn it in in 15 minutes later for a new one.

I have mostly Craftsman for my tools. They suit me just fine.

I have bought some Harbor Freight tools for infrequently used tools and to make an emergency tool kit for the car.

I see no reason for a shade tree mechanic to need anything more than Craftsman. Lifetime warranty, good quality and decent (on sale) prices.

I suppose if I was a professional mechanic, I'd want professional tools but see no need for as often as I wrench on my cars.

For Snap-on home users, it seems like a case of bragging rights or more money than sence. (cents)
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

The last 2 times I took broken tools in, they gave me "re-conditioned" replacements that were far from looking new. They did work, but I was a little disappointed that I didn't get shinny new ones.

Oh, I also have the Harbor Freight Jack and it works well for me.

You can get the smaller one which should be adequate for the Miata.
    ...and across the line.

Quote Originally Posted by droptop

Yep... got the same one. Can't say I have ever seen "maximum height of 17.5'' in only 6 pumps". Has anyone seen that? Mine takes 10-12 pumps to fullt extend.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus
    The last 2 times I took broken tools in, they gave me "re-conditioned" replacements that were far from looking new. They did work, but I was a little disappointed that I didn't get shinny new ones.
    Only thing I broke was a screw driver tip and they just swapped for a new one.

I suppose it depends on what you break. Was it a ratchet?

BTW, their power tools and torque wrenches don't have the lifetime warranty.
    ...and across the line.

Only thing I broke was a screw driver tip and they just swapped for a new one.

I suppose it depends on what you break. Was it a ratchet?

BTW, their power tools and torque wrenches don't have the lifetime warranty.
    First one was a cresent wrench... second was a ratchet.

Who are "they" - Craftsman or Snap-On? I've always gotten new replacements from Craftsman.

FWIW, my tools are predominantly Craftsman as well. Good, inexpensive, and lifetime warranty.

I once heard Mario Andretti quoted as saying "If someone else is paying, buy Snap-On. If you're paying, buy Craftsman."
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Yep... got the same one. Can't say I have ever seen "maximum height of 17.5'' in only 6 pumps". Has anyone seen that? Mine takes 10-12 pumps to fullt extend.
    Me neither. Maybe it's 6 pumps unloaded? Dunno, don't really care. It fits under my lowered Miata and looks pretty too!
    ...and across the line.

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Who are "they" - Craftsman or Snap-On? I've always gotten new replacements from Craftsman.

FWIW, my tools are predominantly Craftsman as well. Good, inexpensive, and lifetime warranty.

I once heard Mario Andretti quoted as saying "If someone else is paying, buy Snap-On. If you're paying, buy Craftsman."
    Sorry... They be Sears. Them be Craftsman.

It fits under my lowered Miata and looks pretty too!
    Amen!

To me, no they aren't *that* good...

I buy Craftsman for all my good tools... HF, Home Debit, etc for cheap stuff on sale when I don't need to "rely" on the tool and just need a throwaway one.

Snap-On is one of those like Mac where they sell 'em at a very high price and can afford to keep handing you new ones when they break... They also drive up to your business to take care of you. You don't get that with Craftsman.

I've had several Craftsman tools replaced over the years. Including a ratchet that I found on the road that had been run over repeatedly. They don't care about receipts or ownership. They just replace 'em. Which is great in my book. I'll keep buying as long as they take care of broken tools for me.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac
    Including a ratchet that I found on the road that had been run over repeatedly.

The ratchet I took back was found in 20 feet of water at the end of my dad's boat dock. We figure it had been down there about a year, dropped by some guys that were replacing a couple of leaky floats under the dock. I spent a good deal of time with steel whool just to get it to a condition where I had the nerve to take it in. It still looked like crap, but I just couldn't bring myself to take a ratchet covered in lake growth up to the counter!

It fits under my lowered Miata and looks pretty too!
    Amen!
    That's why I bought that low profile Sears jack... to fit under my lowered VW. Works beautiful.

Home Depot's Husky brand is guaranteed for life, too. Plus, Home Depot is only 5 min. from my house, whereas Sears is more like 20. Hence, Husky it is. I love my cheap little floor jack. It works like a champ.

S.

The other thing the Snap On tool guy will do is carry the note on the tools he brings ya. In my youth I worked for a Manufacturer of press feeding equipment, many of my co-workers used Snap-On since they could do a weekly offering to the tool man. I was too cheap!

Yes you can do the same with a Sears card, but our guy would carry the note on anyone!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast