Thread: New Trailer Hitch Ordered

Default New Trailer Hitch Ordered

Needed a trailer hitch for hauling a tire trailer around.

I went back and forth between the Hard Dog and the FM hitch. I paid more for the FM but I know for sure it works without modifying my R-Pkg rear lip. Can't wait to get it installed. Anyone have experience with the FM Hitch? I know Nails got the NC version and I believe he is pleased with it.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

It's a great hitch, I've had it since the first run. You will need a deadblow to install though, it's very tight. It also makes jacking-up the back of the car easy.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

I bought one a few months ago and I really like it. It was snug but I didn't need a hammer so maybe they made a few adjustments. Download the instructions from FM's site and buy a nice new sharp drill bit to drill out the threaded tow holes for the rear tow hooks. You can do this before you get your hitch and then it is just a quick bolt in. My only dislike is now there is no real way to install a rear tow hook.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Haruki Murakami

I like that hitch alot. Take a look at the FEA report. It's very cool to see that they had it stress tested in some realistic and unrealistic situations.

http://www.flyinmiata.com/pdf/FEA_Re...MiataHitch.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Flyin96M View Post
    I bought one a few months ago and I really like it. It was snug but I didn't need a hammer so maybe they made a few adjustments. Download the instructions from FM's site and buy a nice new sharp drill bit to drill out the threaded tow holes for the rear tow hooks. You can do this before you get your hitch and then it is just a quick bolt in. My only dislike is now there is no real way to install a rear tow hook.
    I called them when the first batch came out and complained about this, so maybe the 2nd batch was better. Cut the SM hitch countered edges off and bolt it to the other side of the post.

I thought their AWR swaybar mounts were too tight too (also requiring a deadblow, but big time deadblow usage on this one) so hopefully they fixed that too.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

Got it installed. It wasn't too bad. No hammer needed. Slid right in and bolted down. Like Flyin96M said, sharp new drill bit is a must.

The only thing questionable in FM's instructions is the size of the drill bit. They say to use a 15/32" drill bit which is a more unusual and harder to find size. I used a 7/16" bit and it was still plenty large enough.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)