Thread: Brake Fluid

Default Brake Fluid

I am new here ...Just bought a 99 w/sport package last night. I want to bleed the brakes on her because the fluid looks a little old. What brand/DOT do you guys reccommend?

We normally use the Valvoline SynPower DOT 3/4. Cheap, works well, etc. I think it says something about "For ABS equipped cars" on the side of the bottle.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

I'll second that. Valvoline Synthetic is my first choice for a street/autox car. It's cheap, readily available (your local AutoZone should carry it) and works well.

I like Motul better for a car that will see track time, but typical local autocrosses don't have the sustained braking abuse that requires Motul, imho.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Don't forget to point out the reason that Motul is not your first choice is that although it has a much higher dry boiling point, it is also much happier to take on water and requires bleeding/flushing more on the order of weekly or monthly where the Valvoline will do OK for 6 months or a year.

However, you should always bleed brakes following any sustained high-speed track use to remove the fluid near the calipers that has been boiled.
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Good point. In addition Motul is more expensive and harder to find on the shelves of your local auto parts store. Still, it would be my first choice (followed by regular flushing every six months or before every track event, whichever came first) on a car that will see open track time.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

So anyone up for helping a newbie Miata owner bleed the brakes on Saturday late afternoon?

Quote Originally Posted by jolberry
    So anyone up for helping a newbie Miata owner bleed the brakes on Saturday late afternoon?
    What part of town are you located? I have the pressure bleeder cap sitting in my garage, just waiting for a reason to do another flush!

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    What part of town are you located? I have the pressure bleeder cap sitting in my garage, just waiting for a reason to do another flush!
    I bought the Valvoline Synthetic at lunch. I live in Dallas. 75 and Northwest hwy. looks like you live in Ft worth. A little too far. hmmm...

We really do need to have a party and build some more of those caps...

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I live in Dallas. 75 and Northwest hwy. looks like you live in Ft worth. A little too far. hmmm...
    Actually POS World HQ is in Euless. Might be an opportunity to meet and greet some of the members here and do some general Miatae sniffin! The pressure-bleeder cap is the only way to go BTW!

I really like speedbleeders.... or "money-shot" bleeders as it were....

Chris

i lke castrol gtlma fluid. but thats me.
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C
    99 Disco, the go anywhere ride

Quote Originally Posted by sammm
    I live in Dallas. 75 and Northwest hwy. looks like you live in Ft worth. A little too far. hmmm...
    Actually POS World HQ is in Euless. Might be an opportunity to meet and greet some of the members here and do some general Miatae sniffin! The pressure-bleeder cap is the only way to go BTW!

So is anyone going out there Sat late afternoon? Send me a pm and let me know how to get there. I am going to the St.patty's Day Parade Saturday morning, but the afternoon is free and I would like to come out and learn from you guys about my new race car that has a daily driving problem.

So is anyone going out there Sat late afternoon? Send me a pm and let me know how to get there. I am going to the St.patty's Day Parade Saturday morning, but the afternoon is free and I would like to come out and learn from you guys about my new race car that has a daily driving problem.
    Looks like Sammm may be intersted!

Visit this link Vote now & vote often!

Motul does not need to be changed monthly! For daily street driving it is not necessary to have a higher temperture rated brake fluid, but with high speed driving and braking, you will have less chances of getting an air bubble from overheating your brake fluid.

We went through several brands on the track before we concluded with the Motul 600. Like Iain, we change it about every 6 months or sooner when you consider we go through brake pads a lttle more often. We sell it for $12 and keep it in stock both in Plano and in Dallas if we can help.

Gary
    Danger!!! This Dog Bites.
    www.trackdogracing.com